Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (BOOK READERS ONLY; MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD)

Anyway, there's entirely too much weight being given lately to answers given in interviews by the show's directors and actors.   TV is almost the direct opposite of movies in terms of who knows what about content.   In TV the writers run the show, literally, and they hire those other folks.  Especially beware the director-as-ultimate-authority trope - that's a movie thing, and absolutely not a tv thing.

So last week when people got weird because one of the GoT directors didn't have much to say about Lady S, well, duh.  It's a character he's never had to direct, which means he hasn't had to think about her yet.   When they hand him a Lady S. script, he'll get invested in her.   

Same with Michelle F.   Someday her agent may tell her, "good news, you're on a plane to Ireland next month" but until then Lady S. isn't going to be high on her radar either.

GRRM Just did an interview with Entertainment Weekly about the upcoming The Winds of Winter and dropped some interesting tidbits.

Ser BeardSphere wrote:

Martin says that the book will deliver more of what we’ve come to expect from A Song of Ice and Fire. “We have more deaths, and we have more betrayals. We have more marriages.”

And we won’t have to wait to get into the action. “I think we’re gonna start out with a big smash with the two enormous battles.” Presumably this means we will be treated to the Battle of Winterfell, and the Battle of Meereen, which had to be left out of A Dance With Dragons because of it’s already massive length and delayed publication date.

Martin also teases that the Dothraki will be coming back “in a big way,” and that “a lot of stuff is happening at The Wall.”

Readers are anticipating the inevitable meeting between Tyrion and Daenerys, and Martin says that while they both have large roles to play, and that they will intersect, it won’t happen until later in the book. He shares some details on what their interaction will be like. “Tyrion has decided that he actually would like to live, for one thing, which he wasn’t entirely sure of during the last book, and he’s now working toward that end—if he can survive the battle that’s breaking out all around him. And Dany has embraced her heritage as a Targaryen and embraced the Targaryen words. So they’re both coming home.”

No word yet on when The Winds of Winter will be coming home with readers, but we can look forward to two other releases from Martin in October.

What I glean from this is that Dany will come to learn what became painfully obvious over the course of the last book:  She is meant to conquer and not to rule.  I can easily envision a scenario where Dany, with Tyrion acting as her council, meets up with Victarion Greyjoy and takes a Dothraki hoard accross the narrow sea, either aligns or kills her nephew, and beats the ever loving shit out of the second kingdom....until some asshole blows the horn of Jormunggar and shatters the wall, allowing the Night's King and all the Others to severly fuck up the remaining 7 kingdoms.  Jon Snow learns his heritage, and either marries Dany or she dies and gives him her Dragons that he and Bran can Weir into and...yeah.  That's all I got so far.

Last edited by Eddie (2014-06-27 16:24:58)

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

GRRRRRRRRRM wrote:

And we won’t have to wait to get into the action. “I think we’re gonna start out with a big smash with the two enormous battles.” Presumably this means we will be treated to the Battle of Winterfell, and the Battle of Meereen, which had to be left out of A Dance With Dragons because of it’s already massive length and delayed publication date.

Ooh, this is where I get to share my theory on Jon's last chapter in ADWD.

So there are two things we should keep in mind going into this theory. First, Jon's last chapter specifies that "he never felt the fourth knife, only the cold." This implies that he was dying, right? Well, maybe. We also know that GRRM said many years ago that he would open TWOW with two big battles, which he called "the battle in ice, and the battle at Slaver's Bay." Many people have assumed that the "ice" battle referred to the Battle of Winterfell between Stannis and the Boltons. But what if it didn't?

First of all, we know that the Others bring an unearthly chill along with them. They make everything feel colder. So what if Jon never felt the fourth knife and "only the cold" not because he was dying, but because the Others were upon the Wall? He didn't feel the knife because they stopped stabbing him. We don't get any more information after that, so it's entirely plausible. As deaths go, this one is written pretty vaguely. And I think we can all agree that Jon's not going to stay dead even if he was killed at the end of ADWD. He's got more to do.

Second of all, why would GRRM call it "the battle in ice" instead of just "the Battle of Winterfell"? He specified that the second one would be in Slaver's Bay, so why not specify the first one? Maybe because he doesn't want to give away this twist. Plus, his use of the word "ice" is interesting. Winterfell isn't associated with ice at all. It's associated with snow, and with winter, but never really with ice. That's reserved for the Wall. Despite the arrival of winter, a battle at Winterfell wouldn't be a battle in ice. But a battle at the Wall would!

tl;dr - Jon isn't dead, because at the end of his last ADWD chapter the Others attacked the Wall. TWOW will open with this battle.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I think it's fair to say that the chances of Jon Snow remaining dead are slim to none. For all his reputation of killing favourite characters, GRRM rarely follows through, as in there are alot more fake cliffhanger deaths vs actual deaths.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down