Re: Zarban's lightsaber battle project

I'm not super experienced with video production, but I've done a few projects and I love figuring stuff out. I have AE CS5, and if you guys need some help with lightsaber grunt work I'd be happy to lend a hand, but probably only till the end of August when my semester starts.

My name is: Sam Francis
My email address is: sfrancis928@me.com
My level of expertise is: I know my way around AE; Done a few simple motion graphics in the past, Meddled with lightsabers long ago; Followed along with a decent number of Video Copilot tuts so I'm basically a pro smile
My software (and version) of choice is: AE CS5
FX techniques, pertaining-to-this, that I already know how to do are: Simple lightsaber stuff
FX I'd like to learn, and maybe this could be my chance, are: More advanced lightsaber stuff
My availability is: Mostly open till the end of August

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My name is: Chris Walker   
My email address is:BigDamnArtist@gmail.com
My level of expertise is: High-Mid
My software (and version) of choice is: CS6 (premiere, photoshop, afx, audition plus the few randoms), Blender
FX techniques, pertaining-to-this, that I already know how to do are: greenscreen, tracking, roto, comp, 3D model/render, basics of pretty much every step along the way.
FX I'd like to learn, and maybe this could be my chance, are: That lightning thing Teague mentioned sounds pretty interesting
My availability is: Nil to none, but throw something at me and I'll find some time.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Teague wrote:

since they're all Pink Fivey I'd wanna wait for Trey's okay-to-go before posting the lot of 'em publicly

Make 'em non-listed and just post the links here and that's fine.

LORD IS BENEVOLENT

Boom.

There's two playlists on this account. These playlists contain the knowledge.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

For the folks who might wanna help but don't know any VFX stuff, check this out. This is a saber roto tutorial I made for absolute VFX beginners back when RP53 was happnin.' If that seems like it'd be simple enough to pull off, snag a trial copy of After Effects and you're in.

You sexy beast.

As someone who just spent the past two days simulating literally millions of phylogenetic trees, and looking up the latitude/longitude of 723 national parks, painstaking, repetitive tasks is definitely in my wheelhouse. I'm in.

edit:
P.S. Trey, thanks for giving the permission for Teague to post those videos smile
P.P.S. Teague, I will be holding you responsible for my priapism.

Last edited by Herc (2014-07-01 04:27:24)

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

The link Teague posted is pure fucking gold.

As is his tiara.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Oh gods...

So much Teaguetorials...

Must watch...

So..

Gah...

Ugh...

*faints*

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Zarban wrote:

PS,
Sith boy is already complaining that he wants Jedi girl to be the one to die because she always beats him in their plastic sword fights by going for his feet.  big_smile

Final shot: Sith boy as a Sith ghost, giving his evil laugh.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Heh, BDA and Dave will be happy to know that I'm currently sitting on a dozen-or-so "advanced"-level AE video tutorials that I've been making in my spare time. They'll all be released in one big chunk. Not quite ready yet.

But... hardcore shit. The RP53 things were more basic and meant for first-timers; this new batch is the kinky stuff. Math, expressions, crazy-useful tracking methodologies, etc..

I get bored and I like making tutorials.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dude, I have been looking forward to those ever since that first discussion. Get those bastards out here man.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Pay the man.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o251/maul2/SadMaxPoster_zps45f42b9c.png~original

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW DAVE?!?!

ZangrethorDigital.ca

clap

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

pimp

Thumbs up Thumbs down

But actually though, thanks, I got a random paycheck couple days ago, and I totally forgot that that was a thing I wanted to do way back in the days when I didn't have the money.

So now everyone wins.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Aw, man, I wanna play.

Zarban wrote:

Their mothers want to buy them proper costumes, so that will take a little time. But I imagine shooting to begin in a couple of weeks and take a couple of weekends.

I don't know if there's time or the desire, but I have some experience making custom jedi robes (for 12yo girls even.) And I assume Sith robes are just Jedi robes but black, which sounds do-able. So, if you want something non-factory made, I'd be happy to make something.

Here's some I made ages ago for when E3 came out. Time-frame wise, I'm fairly quick; made 4 costumes in about 10 days and that was when I was new to sewing.

http://s20.postimg.org/y72gk74cd/jedi_robes.png

And if costumes aren't needed, I might need to finally learn how to roto lightsabers.

But seriously, if hair/costume research even is something you want to farm out, let me know.

I'd be down for doing some Holograms.

My name is: Martin
My email address is: mart_lej at yahoo dot com
My level of expertise is: 10 yrs
My software (and version) of choice is: AE CS6
FX techniques, pertaining-to-this, that I already know how to do are: Sabers, Holograms, screen replacements
FX I'd like to learn, and maybe this could be my chance, are:
My availability is: 10 - 15 hours a week

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Jeez, I'm out of it for a little while, everyone gets delusions of grandeur!

I'm fucking in.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Darn, okay, I'm in.

My name is: Sébastien Fraud
My email address is: fraud.sebastien@gmail.com
My level of expertise is: somewhat extensive compositing knowledge ;
My software (and version) of choice is: Nuke 8 for compositing, and Adobe CS6 for the rest (mainly Photoshop and Premiere)
FX techniques, pertaining-to-this, that I already know how to do are: 2D/3D tracking - keying - restore - roto - general compositing stuff; 3D modeling, texturing, basics in lighting and rendering.
FX I'd like to learn, and maybe this could be my chance, are: I'm a compositing nerd. Gimme more of it, and I'll be happy. smile
My availability is: on vacation; I'll be available for the next three weeks and the two first weeks of August. My Internet bandwidth won't be the best, but I can manage.

I'd show you my compositing work, but my demo reel is restricted to my school for the moment.

Last edited by Saniss (2014-07-01 12:59:05)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Script first draft. The ending needs to be more wry and twisty, I think.

SHOWDOWN ON DANTAH

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Awesome.

Honestly, I'd say you could just as well go in a no-twist direction, and to that end maybe even take out the reference to their relationship at the end of the script. Just have it be a Jedi and a Sith, simple and clean.

But that's just me. In any case, this will work just fine and be really cool.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Honestly, I'd say you could just as well go in a no-twist direction, and to that end maybe even take out the reference to their relationship at the end of the script. Just have it be a Jedi and a Sith, simple and clean.

Right. The fact that they're cousins wasn't twisty enough, so it might as well go. Every story needs some kind of point, tho. So if there isn't a comedic gag then there needs to be a dramatic revelation of some kind. It turns out that "This one time, a Jedi Padawan had to fight a Sith apprentice WHO WAS HER OWN COUSIN" isn't quite strong enough.

I'll work on a different twist.

/Darth Shyamalan

Last edited by Zarban (2014-07-01 20:15:49)

On another tack, sort of similar to the lightsaber color thing; if Sith-boy has any interest in "designing" his ship, he can.

Like, even a doodle or whatever. The ship can be made to look "real" and detailed pretty much regardless of vague shape, so there's no reason he couldn't do a little sketch that would be used as a starting point. We just take that as "inspiration" and make a cool looking ship out of it, one that will be recognizably his design without sacrificing the... uh, overall artistic coolness that comes later.

Only thing is, the ship model is something we can start on right away, and probably should. If you think that'd be a fun way to go with it, have him knock out a doodle he likes. Otherwise we can just do some random cool ship.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That is awesome. He's a good artist, so he might have ideas. I figured you guys would use whatever spaceship model you had lying around, especially if it's recognizably Star Wars-related.

Teague wrote:
Owen Ward wrote:

Premiere CS6 + Audition for any audio stuff, unless that gets handled by a dedicated sound guy.

I'd like to do the sound mixing, if nobody objects. Been cutting my teeth on that stuff for a while now. Plus Alex and I would be able to interface on the sound stuff pretty easily.

We'll interface the shit out of this thing.