Re: What Are You Watching - TV Edition

Orphan Black.

Have you ever been in a situation with a show where you wanna run around shouting "hey everyone! watch this, trust me, you'll love it!" but didn't know how? That's how I feel about this show.

Mainly I wanna avoid hype-backlash. It's like we're still afraid to admit that TV has gotten seriously fucking good in the past two decades, so everyone oversells everything. It just started its second season, and I have a feeling it'll build up a cult status, and then a lot of people will be saying "best show ever", and then backlash (exactly what happened with True Detective). 
But man, this is a really enjoyable show. The lead performance is excellent. The show gets more confident with every episode, and they mix tension and humour really really well.
This show has every opportunity to fail, but by bob, everything keeps working and it just keeps getting better and better.

Here's the premise. Knowing the reveal (which is made explicit by the 3rd episode) absolutely does not alter your enjoyment of the show, but it would still be preferable to go in knowing nothing. So if you're not willing to give it a go on my word alone:

Show
Clones. And the requisite conspiracies and shadowy organizations. I'm sorry, it sounds generic and really it should have fucked something up by now, but it just fucking works! That lead performance I mentioned? She plays herself, she plays her clones, and she plays herself and the clones impersonating the clones and herself. I actually occasionally forget that they're played by the same person. Apart from enjoying the subtleties of her performance, there's a lot of fun to have with trying to work out how they do scenes where she interacts with herself. Also, if this helps sell the show, she is all kinds of beautiful, so there's that.

Last edited by Herc (2014-04-20 20:54:49)

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Herc wrote:

Have you ever been in a situation with a show where you wanna run around shouting "hey everyone! watch this, trust me, you'll love it!" but didn't know how? That's how I feel about this show.

That's how I feel about Shameless right now.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Herc wrote:

*cough*hannibal*cough*

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sam F wrote:
Herc wrote:

Me too. Shameless is well done. There must be a dozen main-ish characters on that show, each with their own storylines, and the show juggles it all beautifully without it seeming at all muddled.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Rob wrote:
Sam F wrote:
Herc wrote:

Me too. Shameless is well done. There must be a dozen main-ish characters on that show, each with their own storylines, and the show juggles it all beautifully without it seeming at all muddled.

Agreed. Shameless had a fucking brilliant fourth season. I'm always suspicious of the "dramedy" 'cause that term generally means "tonally inconsistent and confusing." Shameless did all right in the first three seasons, but from the start it's been a much more serious show than the UK version, and sometimes it just didn't gel for me. This season, they really put the focus on the drama, while still managing to be very funny, and it all came together just beautifully.

I've watched most of the UK version's 11 series, and it's such a different show that the two are hard to compare. The first two series are definitely the best. After that your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Cotterpin Doozer (2014-04-22 13:45:15)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It has taken me far, far too long to give Bob's Burgers a try. I kept hearing that it takes a season or two to get good. Turns out everyone who said that was wrong, 'cause it's hilarious from the start. Really funny show, well worth giving it a chance.
Also, I heart H. Jon Benjamin's voice.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Herc wrote:

It has taken me far, far too long to give Bob's Burgers a try. I kept hearing that it takes a season or two to get good. Turns out everyone who said that was wrong, 'cause it's hilarious from the start. Really funny show, well worth giving it a chance.
Also, I heart H. Jon Benjamin's voice.

Seconded. Tina Belcher is one of my favorite TV characters ever.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:
Herc wrote:

It has taken me far, far too long to give Bob's Burgers a try. ... I heart H. Jon Benjamin's voice.

Seconded. Tina Belcher is one of my favorite TV characters ever.

I love Louise and Gene, then Bob and Tina, then Linda, Teddy, and the supporting cast.

Also, I love that they get stand-up comedians to do infrequent characters. It gets great talent and also supports people in what tends to be a feast-or-famine career. I also like that they don't use many celebrity guest stars; they almost always suck on The Simpsons.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Got around to watching True Detective. I tried watching the first episode 3 times before finally finishing it, my attention was wandering alot. It slowly picks up and becomes compelling about half way through and ends well enough.

Overall, it was good, but I'm not sure that this story needed 8 hours. A lot of it felt like filler, very pretty, but filler none the less.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

Got around to watching True Detective. I tried watching the first episode 3 times before finally finishing it, my attention was wandering alot.

Same with me, I've watched it once and my mind just didn't wanna stick with it. I'll probably revisit it at some point.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hey, just a heads-up for the American forumers (and the technologically capable but not American forumers... so, pretty much everyone):

Netflix now has the first 7 seasons of Columbo! Dunno how long it'll be up there for, so enjoy it while you can!

edited to add this: Columbo Drinking Game

Last edited by Herc (2014-06-29 02:04:06)

Mainlined Season 1 of Hannibal on DocSub and others' recommendation. I was really hating it for the first 4-5 episodes as it just comes across as an edgier trying-too-hard version of CSI. Overly elaborate murders, schlocky techie characters, violence for violence sake. True Detective this ain't.

That being said it really starts to click about halfway through though, and the last couple eps are great and manage to tie everything together. Am very excited for season 2.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

Mainlined Season 1 of Hannibal on DocSub and others' recommendation. I was really hating it for the first 4-5 episodes as it just comes across as an edgier trying-too-hard version of CSI. Overly elaborate murders, schlocky techie characters, violence for violence sake. True Detective this ain't.

That being said it really starts to click about halfway through though, and the last couple eps are great and manage to tie everything together. Am very excited for season 2.

Saw someone on Twitter a week or so ago say that Hannibal "spends its first 5 episodes trying to trick you into thinking it's a different kind of show, and by the end of season 1 it's become the show it always intended to be." Season 2 is absolutely brilliant throughout.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ya, it's really weird like that. I'm literally now trying to pare down which episodes are essential and which are skippable so I can tell other people "Watch 1, 3, and 6 onwards", otherwise I can see how it would be tough to get someone new into the show.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Herc wrote:

Netflix now has the first 7 seasons of Columbo! Dunno how long it'll be up there for, so enjoy it while you can!

My sister is a huge Columbo fan, and lazy, so this is a good thing. She has the DVDs, but now has these queued on Netflix so she doesn't have to change disks.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

http://i.imgur.com/nqOzKl9l.png

Finally started watching it. I'm dying. This is pure gold.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Both the original UK version and the US one are damned good. The US series has the advantage of a hell of a lot more episodes, so there's more of a chance for great moments. The "Cosby and Hitler" bit, and its aftermath, is just hilarious.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Things you can do with ______ but not your girlfriend" is routinely my favorite sketch. I haven't watched much of it since they revived the US series, but a thousand points to everyone for bringing it back.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

I caught an episode of the new series on TV last year. Not nearly as good - just trying too hard. Aisha Tyler what are you even doing, stop it.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Boter wrote:

I caught an episode of the new series on TV last year. Not nearly as good - just trying too hard. Aisha Tyler what are you even doing, stop it.

Yeeeep.

It's really sad. I've tried to start watching probably half a dozen times by now, and I just can't get it to click. And it's weird because I watched Colin and Brad's two man improv show, and that thing is absolutely hysterical, I just don't know why the New Whose Line feels so grating and painful.

In other news.

I just finished the first episode of Mrs. Browns Boys. Laughed my fucking ass off. Will be continuing.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

I just don't know why the New Whose Line feels so grating and painful.

"And now our special guest promoting this other shit you don't care about..."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well...in part...definitely. But it's more just a general vibe the show puts out. It's really weird.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Is it bad that I am watching TV shows from my childhood that still exist? Like Power Rangers...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

...I just don't know why the New Whose Line feels so grating and painful.

I've watch a few of the new version and could it be:

The whole show feels like an event organised at an OAP home, with Aisha in charge explaining everything slowly and in excruciating detail for the residents / contestants. And yes we know the points don't matter, but telling us that before each game feels too much. Also seeing 90 year old lie on top of a female guest looks kinda icky. Or could it simply be having a young female host instead of the old Drew Carey brings a different dynamic to the proceedings - she doesn't partake in the hoesdowns, right ?!

That said, I loved the original US series more than the UK version and have a whole bunch of hoedowns on my HD (legally of course) + a link to the youtube "Naroshi" clip.  big_smile

Jason doesn't teleport.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What am I watching tonight?

Argentina v Netherlands play for the right to get kicked in the nuts by Germany

not long to go now...

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down