Re: Doctor Who is awesome, yeah?

I'm in tears. These reviews are priceless.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Who regenerations recast as Americans...
http://www.buzzfeed.com/newu456/what-if … rican-5pxx

Remember when Christopher Walken flipped out and choked his companion? that was SO in-character.

Oh, and that EPIC web-isode in which Jeff Goldblum regenerated into Harrison Ford?!  big_smile

Last edited by Snail (2014-02-13 17:31:57)

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

Donald Glover as the 11th Doctor is perfect. All of these are pretty perfect, actually. I remember seeing a similar thing a while back, but it was a faux-history of female Doctors.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The date of Doctor Who's return was announced (it's August 23).

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Snail wrote:

Doctor Who regenerations recast as Americans...
http://www.buzzfeed.com/newu456/what-if … rican-5pxx

Remember when Christopher Walken flipped out and choked his companion? that was SO in-character.

Oh, and that EPIC web-isode in which Jeff Goldblum regenerated into Harrison Ford?!  big_smile

Well, I now need a TARDIS to make this list happen.

Also, who can forgot Nic Cage's epic line "EVERYBODY LIVES!" shortly before he twitched his hands in a psychotic manner?  Good times big_smile

Also, for some reason, I am more excited about Capaldi's Doctor than I have been with many other casting announcements. Time will tell, I guess.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Marty J wrote:

The date of Doctor Who's return was announced (it's August 23).

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE*voice enters into range beyond humanities ability to hear*

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Quick question for those who might know. Since I don't have cable, does BBC stream the episodes after airing so I can keep up on this series?

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

Quick question for those who might know. Since I don't have cable, does BBC stream the episodes after airing so I can keep up on this series?

They do on BBC iPlayer, but you need to be live in England to access it.

Well, the website needs to think your browser is connecting from England, anyway. *cough*

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

Well, the website needs to think your browser is connecting from England, anyway. *cough*

*finds a British accent emulator for his computer's speech modulator.*

That should work, right? wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:
Doctor Submarine wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

Not quite, you've got to program it to make all the appropriate word substitutions:  'boot' for trunk, 'lift' for elevator, 'that bloody woman' for Margaret Thatcher, etc.  Also, you need to make sure it signs off all messages with 'Toodle-pip'.  That should do it.

Last edited by sellew (2014-07-02 13:47:54)

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

sellew wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:
Doctor Submarine wrote:

Not quite, you've got to program it to make all the appropriate word substitutions:  'boot' for trunk, 'lift' for elevator, 'that bloody woman' for Margaret Thatcher, etc.  Also, you need to make sure it signs off all messages with 'Toodle-pip'.  That should do it.

Well, whatever you do, don't install the Doctor Who emulator. Now all it does is shout Doctor catch phrases whenever something happens:

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/6b/1d/26/6b1d26b960e423872d1056efc6c8680f.jpg

God loves you!

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

"Clara, tell me...am I a good man?"

Sorry guys.  I don't do Twitter and I don't do Facebook, so when I gotta get on the internet to rant about something two minutes after seeing it, I gotta come here.  Not sure where we are spoiler-wise, so I'll try to be discrete.

SPOILER Show

Jesus God, that was awful.  Let's get the good out of the way first.  Two words:  Peter Capaldi.  He's very good, and the only good thing about it. 

Christ, where to start?  Why was this episode 80 minutes long?  Virtually nothing happens of any relevance until about an hour into it.  It's like they wrote the climactic third act scene between the Doctor and the control robot, and then just forgot to write the rest of it until production started, so they just filled the rest of the running time with a load of random crap that they quasi-improvised on these Victorian sets that they'd built.  None of it goes anywhere and none of it has any real bearing on the story.

And when you've got a new Doctor, why set the story with these three other characters that we've seen before?  It's just taking screen time away from getting to understand the new Doctor and actually having a story.  I'm not super familiar with them, having only seen about 2/3s of the David Tennant/Matt Smith episodes, and I think the ones with these guys I might have frequently skipped because IMDB said the episodes were bad, so I guess that's partly my fault.  But they're not really introduced well.  And they don't seem to have any story function in terms of helping us understand the Doctor any better or having any relation/perspective that's different from Clara. 

And the Sontaran guy in particular kept making me think of Robert Reed's memo about the Brady Bunch. It's a complete mess in terms of genre, not only between drama and comedy but within different genres of comedy as well.  Tonally we seem to be going in that darker direction that was promised, but then there's this slapstick stuff.  Exactly how much 'realism' is there supposed to be in this world, once we allow for the "there's aliens and time travel" magic bean?  Nothing feels right about the way that the various 'ordinary people' or police, for example, are reacting to the fantastical things that are happening.  And what the heck is happening at the very, very end?

And do not even start me about the way in which, in the final scene, Clara begins to accept that the new Doctor is actually her Doctor.  It's an absolute, complete fucking cop out.  Like the most egregious example you could construct of violating "show, don't tell".  Clara can't come to realize this by things like, say, the choices the Doctor makes or dialogue or any of that traditionally storytelling stuff.  We need the proverbial gorilla to come out of fucking nowhere.  Maybe it was somehow previously set up somewhere and I missed it, but that does not make it any better. 

Finally, for some reason I've never been quite so struck by the awfulness of the music before.  It's unbelievably intrusive and attention seeking.  Every five seconds we get bludgeoned over the head so that we know that Something Important is happening, people are running down the street, whatever.  And even the more mellow things still are really cliched (music box-y stuff to create an unsettling atmosphere, etc.)

I'd be inclined to give it some time to find its feet, if it weren't for the fact that the only 'new' part of it seems to be the only thing that's good.  Peter Capaldi seems to have hit the ground running.  He's not the problem.  The problem is the writer/showrunner that's been involved with the show for like three years already, and that does not bode well.

Whoof.

Last edited by sellew (2014-08-23 21:30:05)

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well considering it hasn't even aired this side of planet yet, I'd say spoilers are a no go. So while I avoided most of it, there are still a few things I glanced in your post I wish I hadn't. So Spoiler Tags please.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Sorry, didn't realize what the US schedule was like.  Done.  Didn't think I'd mentioned anything really spoiler-y.  Maybe I'll go back and be a bit more explicit then.  [Edit:  Can't be bothered.  And I do see one thing that I hadn't intended to be spoilery, but I now see could be interpreted in a way that would make it one.  TLDR:  Capaldi good and....Capaldi good.]

Last edited by sellew (2014-08-23 22:15:31)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Given he's supposed to be like my favorite Doctor, Colin Baker, and his stories weren't that good over all, this is to be expected smile I'll probably go see the theater airing Monday evening, as I'll have to pay for the episode to see it anyway as I don't get BBC America.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I agree with most of sellew's points - Peter Capaldi is very very good, and the new episode is lackluster at best. While I enjoy Vastra, Jenny, and Strax, the main storyline was simply boring, and they didn't have that much to do. Compared to the introductions of Tennant and Smith, this episode was kind of disappointing.

That said, Capaldi is fascinating to watch, and while I always take some time to warm up to a new Doctor, he has already endeared himself to me.

And as for the very end,

Show
it strikes me as completely in character for the Eleventh Doctor to call to future Clara. Whether it is enough to motivate Clara's sudden acceptance of the new Doctor...I say no. And, unfortunately, it undermines her character.

I've had problems with Moffat's Doctor Who for a while, especially the last season, and it doesn't look like it's going to get better. But I can only hope.

alicia ♆
twitter | instagram | website

It took forever to get going, but once they got in the restaurant I really enjoyed it. It definitely didn't need to be 80 minutes, though. Some scenes dragged on and on, and it felt like Moffat was really pleased with himself for doing a mediocre job.

This episode really was the best and worst of Moffat. Some very funny lines ("Nothing is more important than my egomania!") and at least one clever twist (the Impossible Girl newspaper thing was great) but then there were things he kept driving into the ground. How many times did Jenny and Vastra bring up that they were married? Like, we get it, it's super cool that you have a lesbian relationship on your show. Those characters can talk about other things besides being married.

I really liked Clara in this episode, more than I've liked her in the past. I thought Capaldi was terrible for a while, but he's growing on me. I honestly think that the writing is still in Eleven-mode, and Moffat & co. need to catch up to what Capaldi is doing. Once that happens I'll probably enjoy Twelve more.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I missed yesterday's premiere, but there was a rerun on BBC Entertainment today.

"Deep Breath" turned out to be somewhat disappointing, but I've seen worse episodes. I feel it's way too early to give up hope, the show hasn't jumped the shark (yet) wink

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm just amused given how positive all the early reviews were. I saw some site rating the first episode of every Doctor, and this was was the best. As for jumping the shark, remember which series this is. it has gone over and under countless sharks, yet always manages to find another motorcycle we want to see it ride.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

I'm just amused given how positive all the early reviews were. I saw some site rating the first episode of every Doctor, and this was was the best. As for jumping the shark, remember which series this is. it has gone over and under countless sharks, yet always manages to find another motorcycle we want to see it ride.

Doctor Who jumping the shark?

That's cute.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I agree the episode is a mess. I love the actor and Clara is one of my favorite companions. And, I don't like the trio. So, that stuff was lost on me. Just wasted time when I wanted to get to know the new Doctor.

I am still interested in seeing what they are going to do. Hopefully, not ruin it for me again (I am not a fan of Dr Song).

Spolier Show
Why is Clara ready to quit on the Doctor when she saw his face change and his brain become mush? I don't get it. The Clara I think of would go into action to solve the mystery and fix him.

They went pretty hard on the 'I'm not your boyfriend' theme.

I also don't get why the Doctor abandoned Clara (except so he could show up again. Very contrived).

I am also not a fan of the phone call. I know it is in character but it's unnecessary and undermines Clara looking at the new Doctor and seeing that there is someone worthwhile there.

Also, isn't the Doctor out of regenerations? Does that mean they have to come up with a workaround?

I post because I care.
  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
"Feel free to flame me. I don't like Legends of Korra or Gravity, either."

They already have, in Matt Smith's regeneration episode, it was implied that the Galifreians granted him another regeneration cycle. This has been done in classic who (not with The Doctor though)  with gallifrey giving The Master a new cycle (can't remember the reasoning behind it though)

In fact, the whole 13 regeneration thing was invented simply so they could have a story where The Master looked like an undead monster because he had used up his regenerations. Actually, thinking about it, that may have just mentioned a limit, with the number 13 coming from a 5th doctor episode where he's asked to give up all his remaining regenerations to save a group of people (one regeneration per individual).

Remember, this kind of thing is thrown in by each writer with no concern given to how it will effect the show in the future smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The thing that struck me most about Clara, was

Show
How she is the only one who's seen all the incarnations of the Doctor, been with all of them(sorta), and still has issues accepting this new face. Out of all people in all the universe, she seems like the character that would have the least problems with it.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down