Topic: Wish I Was Here

Fresh from the backer screening, I have to put it out there that I fucking loved Wish I Was Here. It had me bawling, though.

Have you seen it? Thoughts?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Wish I Was Here

GODDAMMIT DAVE DON'T DO THIS TO ME

I've been psyched for this film for as long as I've known about it. Garden State was amazing and Zach Braff is my personal God.

And it's only coming to France in a month.

Glad to know you loved it, though.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Seeing a lot of people posting about this. How did this backer screening business work?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Basically it was a secure link valid for a limited period of time. The link would only work once, and the video was overlaid with your email address and kickstarter ID to disuade copying.

"You will have from Friday, July 11th at 5PM PDT until Saturday, July 12th at 10PM PDT to start watching, and three hours to complete the film. You can only watch one time from one device, so get comfortable and DO NOT CLICK THE LINK UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO WATCH."

The service was provided by vhx.tv

Thumbs up Thumbs down

From memory the film was close to 2 hours, and is obviously a deeply personal piece. There were an elements that threw off initially, but that was more about a cultural thing and was fine once I adjusted.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hooch is crazy.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

If I found the trailer insufferable, is there any chance I'll like the movie? Or is it just the same thing for 2 hours?

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Did you like Garden state? If you're asking, magic 8-ball says it looks doubtful

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've actually never seen Garden State, maybe I should check it out.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I haven't had the guts to go back and revisit it because, while I enjoyed it as a college kid at the time of its release, I'm relatively sure I won't care for it 10 years on. What little I can remember of it strikes me now as pretty hamfisted and emotional-cudgel-y (and WIWH looks about the same). YMMV

EDIT: Basically, you know the "It's not your fault" scene in GOOD WILL HUNTING? That's GARDEN STATE the whole time, set to an early-millennium indie rock soundtrack.

Last edited by Dorkman (2014-07-18 04:25:57)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The "screaming into a canyon whilst wearing trash bags," evoked the angriest laughter I've ever emitted.  My wife is gaga for this film because, like Mike, she was in college when she saw it, and fell for the inherit romance.  I like exactly one scene in the entire movie and the rest of it brings me to near Red State levels of hate. 

That said, I like Braff, and will always check out anything he's in.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

WIWH is a feely movie, as a guy in my mid 30's with a child I found there was a lot that resonated. Zach is 10 years older, it's a reflective and deeply personal production that he wrote with his brother. It's a lot of family and mid-life crisis stuff - although not in the "lets buy a sports car and sleep with the woman in marketing" way.

But it's a Braff film, and with the Kickstarter money it's all his. The music, the cast, the script, direction, the lot. If you didn't enjoy GS you won't enjoy this. If you did enjoy GS I'd suggest seeing it, at worst you'll have a lot to critique and discuss.

Thumbs up Thumbs down