Re: What Are You Watching - TV Edition

Just binged watched the this year's cancelled Crisis series. Rich kids from a wealthy school are kidnapped and their powerful parents are made to do 'missions' to have them returned safely.

Interesting premise and there are some good moments. I can't see any obvious reasons why it was cancelled. Good to see Dermot Mulroney and Gillian Anderson on screen again.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fido wrote:
BigDamnArtist wrote:

...I just don't know why the New Whose Line feels so grating and painful.

I've watch a few of the new version and could it be:

The whole show feels like an event organised at an OAP home, with Aisha in charge explaining everything slowly and in excruciating detail for the residents / contestants. And yes we know the points don't matter, but telling us that before each game feels too much. Also seeing 90 year old lie on top of a female guest looks kinda icky. Or could it simply be having a young female host instead of the old Drew Carey brings a different dynamic to the proceedings - she doesn't partake in the hoesdowns, right ?!

The original UK host didn't partake in anything either. I do agree part of it is the lack of Drew Carey, as you could feel the genuine give and take between him and the performers. I also wouldn't be surprised if his behind the scenes work was more than you'd think.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm late to the party but I've been binge watching the first season of Orange Is The New Black.

http://cdn3.whatculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Orange-Is-The-New-Black-Cast.jpg

There is a lot to like there but the real star of this show is the casting director bar none. What amazing gallery of great actors.

I'm even liking Kate Mulgrew as Red which is a surprise knowing what we know about her antics when she had the captain's chair.

p.s. I have not laughed so hard at a tv show in a long time like I did when Crazy Eyes did her Shakespeare thing.

Last edited by AshDigital (2014-07-21 13:55:04)

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Just curious as to if anyone's watched The Killing?  I've started season 1 and while I have some issues with it, am really impressed by the cinematography and its approach to procedural crime narrative.  It very much feels like an evolution of procedural cop drama (Dragnet->Mission Impossible->Hill Street Blues->Law and Order/Homicide: Life on the Streets->Boomtown->Life->The Killing), and I'm curious about others' opinions on it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The original Danish series Forbrydelsen was pretty good. I liked the actors in the first season of the US one but they botched the execution of the story so I never went back to season 2.

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

I've tried some Dane and Swedish narrative and it wasn't entirely my tonal bag, so I've not poked the original source. I might, but according to Finnish friends there's enough character changes between the two (Danish Holder is, apparently quite different) that it isn't a direct translation. Admittedly, that's second-hand info, so grain of salt. Still, I've heard enough good things about seasons 3 & 4 that I'm interested in pushing through. The partnership between Linden and Holder and the way their backgrounds are intersecting (and not intersecting) are very intriguing.

I am only on episode 7 of the first season, so it's possible it'll lose me, but it's gorgeously shot and intriguing!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Kind of getting into anime.
Just binged watched all of Kill la Kill... And I thought it was awesome.

It took the "magical girl" anime idea to an extreme I haven't seen since Panty and Stocking. Over the course of the show it justifies most of what is stupid about the material it's referencing and has a lot of fun with its characters.

Also recently finished up Cowboy Bebop (yet to see the movie) and Samurai Champloo. Both neat, Interesting (loosely connected) episodic adventures. I do prefer Bebop tho, mainly because of its sci fi setting. :P

Linked to Tv Tropes because why not?

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lately I've been watching Community and Awake. You folks heard of Awake?

Awake is certainly an interesting one. It's a show that lasted only a season before it was cancelled but it had an interesting premise. The basic premise is that a detective gets into a car crash with his wife and son. His son dies in the crash and life continues on. Except that when he goes to sleep, he's awake in a reality where it was his wife that died instead.

To him, both realities feel real to him. He sees psychiatrists in both realities that are trying to convince him that the other is just a dream. He works different cases in the realities but each reality appears to be giving him clues for the other case.

The acting is rather good, a good sense of intrigue and cinematography to help differentiate the two realities. It received positive reviews from critics but people just weren't watching it. There's no dvd/blu-ray of it so you can only check it online I guess.

Steph and I used to watch some anime; she was into it more and introduced me. It's been a few years; I'm catching up on Attack on Titan right now (she'd seen it already) and Kill la Kill is probably next on our list. Somewhere in the list is reviewings of Cowboy Bebop and Trigun.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Boter wrote:

... and Kill la Kill is probably next on our list...

http://38.media.tumblr.com/e6c7bd3316b1123d15908f9cbe4e67c0/tumblr_mvkktnmLGX1s37teoo9_500.gif
Yay!

OH and I've also been watching the Legend of Korra and today's (S3) finale was awesome.

Quick recap:

Season 1 Show
Overall, it's a well done self contained story that took place in the same world as the previous series.

It also has a surprisingly mature send off to the villains of this season's story arc.Murder/Suicide wasn't something I expected to see in this show but they pulled it off. 

The only real complaint I have is the dumb romantic subplot the writers felt the need to put in. It really dragged some episodes down. I get the feeling they had to do some of this romantic, goofy stuff to stay on Nickelodeon's good side. (More on that in a sec.)

Season 2 Show
Okay first off this season has some problems with pacing. It really does, especially in the first third or so. I (and a lot of others as well) get the feeling they really weren't betting on a 2nd season. So when they got the go ahead to do more, they had to quickly write a lot of this season. That's a theory tho so feel free to disregard that.

They do, however, manage to take this show's story in a completely different direction than the previous series in a way I definitely wasn't expecting.

The origin story of the first Avatar is a major highlight with it's super distinct  art style compared to the rest of the show. Made a lot make sense in both Korra and the previous series that wasn't entirely clear.

And hey! They put the goofy, unnecessary, and annoying romance subplot to rest! Good job!

So overall, rough but good.

Season 3 Show
This season feels much more well rounded than the previous 2. All of the events and characters introduced are much more well paced and thought out. Seeing new locations is really fun and adventurous now that we're actually doing it. I feel like this season finally got on par with the previous series.

Nick might have been a bit dumb with advertising it tho. Not announcing it till a week before, putting it online midway thru the season, etc...
Ugh.

The finale of this season was really well done. It surpassed any and all expectations I had had of when this season started. The mature content of its battles might have had a reason it was put online. They don't hold back much, if at all.

Just awesome.

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's interesting that this was the season of Korra they decided to only release online in the US then. I had no idea it was out yet.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm not sure Nick knows what they are doing with it either. My guess is that since it got mature fast this season maybe they didn't want it to clash with their other programming. I dunno tho. :P

If they made a block at night for different age groups (à la Adult Swim) maybe we wouldn't have this problem.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

According to the creators, the content has nothing to do with the switch to online. It was all ratings, and the show has always done better online.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mind you, if they're hoping Nick will pay for a 4th season, you wouldn't expect them to say anything else.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Season 4 was ordered a while ago, it's guaranteed.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was hugely disappointed by the finale. Much like Frozen, I see a show that keeps hitting emotional buttons but doesn't make any f*cking sense. And, I know it is my problem. But, when things don't make sense, I lose my suspension of disbelief. Yes, it is amazing to see a Korra in the last moments of the finale. The fights generally look good, etc. See my spoilers for things that are just screwed up.

Spoiler Show

Why don't the airbenders just hop down from the temple when they are attacked?
How did Combustion woman attack Tenzin, the stables, and Bumi, and damm!t, she is just everywhere at the Northern Air Temple.
Is bent lava magic? Heat dissipates. Lava cools.
Why did Bumi and his sister both need to 'cover the retreat'?
Can an earth bender be a metal bender or a lava bender and only one and not by choice? That is important. Why does it seem obvious in the finale but no one says anything when they are training to metal bend?
How does Combustion woman put down 5 professional metal bending police officers while also stalling 2 master metal benders? Why did they do nothing but throw rocks and fall? Why do the metalbenders not attack with metal until the single attack which ends the fight?
when did Mako learn both of the most powerful fire bending techniques of the previous series? Lightning and rocket flight are the top shelf of fire techniques and he didn't do either (or practice them) until the finale.
Why the double-cross with the airbenders? They put them in chains and gave no reason they wanted them. Why not keep their word and release the airbenders?
Why do they have to poison Korra in this specific cave? If they don't, why keep trying to kidnap her instead of throwing poison at her and keeping her busy until she dies?

Legend of Korra breaks my suspension of disbelief often. In the northern air temple fight, for example, we saw the combustion woman on the airship and she fires a beam at the stable. We see Tenzin struggling in a fight with a less experienced airbender. It should not be a hard fight for him. Then, we see the airship move a bit and combustion woman fires at Tenzin. As the show has been VERY bad about establishing where people are and when, it is a surprise. But, it is a cheap surprise, a contrivance. There is no reason to think the awkward and slow maneuvering airship can have a view of all of the temple. She fires at several places, doing critical things to affect the fights. And, if things are going badly, WHY doesn't Tenzin run? You can say the other people were to new as benders or not airbenders but Tenzin? He gave a lesson about going up and down mountains and how easy it is for an airbender! Finally, the lava and water benders both know where to go to join in? Tenzin being beaten is a powerful image but the contrived nature of how it comes about steals the impact and leaves me annoyed.

These are things that occurred to me during that 30 seconds of the show. It is less fun when questions keep coming up.

I post because I care.
  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
"Feel free to flame me. I don't like Legends of Korra or Gravity, either."

The Strain. Until the last couple episodes, it was holding together well. A few scenes seem to be edited out-of-order a couple episodes ago. I still haven't watched the most recent episode.
The series was good enough that I listened to the series as an audiobook. It is going to some interesting places. Most of all, I love seeing vampires as gross monsters instead of glittering teen idols or sexy.

The Amazing World of Gumball. It is juvenile and absurd and fun. A great recent episode is 'The recipe'. It is basically a Twilight Zone episode.

Doctor Who. There's a new Doctor. Peter Capaldi could be really interesting. I just don't like the writing of the first new episode. Clara sacrificed herself for the Doctor in the last series and now she is going to cut-and-run? She's scared by him seeming different (while he is acting mental)? It feels wrong. She should be seeing him as injured and trying to help. Instead, we get a bunch of bickering and whinging. Hopefully, future episodes will be better.

Some Anime recommendations:

Hamatora. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamatora
Fishing. And aliens. Not much action but great characters. Fun. Also, Enoshima is a real island. "Enoshima bowl!"

Black Bullet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Bullet
Post-apocalypstic Japan with monsters. Yes, it has lots in common with other anime. What it excels at, however, is raising the stakes.This show does more by episode 3 than most shows do in their entire run.

Tsuritama. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsuritama
Private detectives with powers. There's lots of characters, lots of action, and mysteries to be solved. I love the twist/reveal at the end of season 1.

MekakuCity Actors. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kagerou_Project#Anime
A difficult show to summarize. The first 3 or 4 episodes all circle the same event with different character viewpoints for each. This focus on character makes for some very emotional stories.

Attack on Titan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Titan
Giants attacking the last human city. The pacing is a bit awkward but the horror is strong. There also seems to be a many-layered mystery that the manga it is based on has yet to reveal.

I post because I care.

I seem to recall Mako lightning-bending in an episode waaaaay back in season 1 when he was working in a factory to raise money for the pro bending team with a bunch of other fire benders that could do lightning. I think it was to show that these techniques from the previous series were becoming more common place, like metal bending.

...I think that was the only time he used it too,  unless he used it in the series 2 finale at some point.

Jp12x wrote:

Show
1. Why don't the airbenders just hop down from the temple when they are attacked?

2. How did Combustion woman attack Tenzin, the stables, and Bumi, and damm!t, she is just everywhere at the Northern Air Temple.

3. Is bent lava magic? Heat dissipates. Lava cools.

4. Why did Bumi and his sister both need to 'cover the retreat'?

5. Can an earth bender be a metal bender or a lava bender and only one and not by choice? That is important. Why does it seem obvious in the finale but no one says anything when they are training to metal bend?

6. How does Combustion woman put down 5 professional metal bending police officers while also stalling 2 master metal benders? Why did they do nothing but throw rocks and fall? Why do the metalbenders not attack with metal until the single attack which ends the fight?

7. when did Mako learn both of the most powerful fire bending techniques of the previous series? Lightning and rocket flight are the top shelf of fire techniques and he didn't do either (or practice them) until the finale.

8. Why the double-cross with the airbenders? They put them in chains and gave no reason they wanted them. Why not keep their word and release the airbenders?

9. Why do they have to poison Korra in this specific cave? If they don't, why keep trying to kidnap her instead of throwing poison at her and keeping her busy until she dies?

Show
1. Jumping off a cliff is generally not a good idea.

2. She was on the deck of the airship, circling the temple. The temple doesn't have a wide radius, so she could have easily been in all of these places.

3. Everything is magic.

4. I don't remember what this refers to, actually.

5. Presumably, you're more naturally inclined to one or the other. Most benders aren't powerful enough to learn two forms of their element, let alone 3.

6. Because then the fight would've ended early.

7. I must've missed Mako doing rocket flight, but presumably the lightning thing came for the same reason that Bolin's lavabending did.

8. Where else were they going to go? The temple was destroyed, and they couldn't let them roam free. They didn't want them to find the others and lead them back to the bad guys.

9. It was important to Zaheer, I guess. And they needed to have Korra subdued so that she couldn't fight back while the poison killed her. Using those flimsy chains was a genuinely dumb move, I'll give you that. But all of their other encounters with her have been in the middle of battle while she was surrounded by tons of allies. Not the best time to poison someone.

I really liked the finale, particularly the final scene.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jp12x wrote:

SPOILER Show
1 Why don't the airbenders just hop down from the temple when they are attacked?
2 How did Combustion woman attack Tenzin, the stables, and Bumi, and damm!t, she is just everywhere at the Northern Air Temple.
3 Is bent lava magic? Heat dissipates. Lava cools.
4 Why did Bumi and his sister both need to 'cover the retreat'?
5 Can an earth bender be a metal bender or a lava bender and only one and not by choice? That is important. Why does it seem obvious in the finale but no one says anything when they are training to metal bend?
6 How does Combustion woman put down 5 professional metal bending police officers while also stalling 2 master metal benders? Why did they do nothing but throw rocks and fall? Why do the metalbenders not attack with metal until the single attack which ends the fight?
7 when did Mako learn both of the most powerful fire bending techniques of the previous series? Lightning and rocket flight are the top shelf of fire techniques and he didn't do either (or practice them) until the finale.
8 Why the double-cross with the airbenders? They put them in chains and gave no reason they wanted them. Why not keep their word and release the airbenders?
9 Why do they have to poison Korra in this specific cave? If they don't, why keep trying to kidnap her instead of throwing poison at her and keeping her busy until she dies?

SPOILER Show
1 They're new airbenders who found it difficult to do even during their teaching shown in an earlier episode.
2 She's on an airship that keeps repositioning itself around the temple.
3 Is bent lightning magic as well? If so, then yes.
4 The same reason the Professors at Hogwarts protect their students.
5 This sort of intentionally left vague. Previously, lava bending was shown to only be used by Avatars who had mastered the elements. (that one fire avatar with the volcanoes, Kyoshi, and Roku). We have to assume as of right now that it is one or the other because of the amount of effort he put into trying to metalbend.
6 So we could have a cool fight scene with the Beifongs kicking butt.
7 Mako has been shown to control lightning before, tho I dont remember a part with flight. Both of these are sort of implied to be much more common as time has moved on. (Workers using lightning in the factory, General Iroh using it to maneuver between planes)
8 They'd be giving their enemy a group of people who know where their base of operations (of sorts) is right now.
9 They dont, though it probably seemed smart to isolate Korra before attempting to kill her (in the Avatar state no less)

"In the northern air temple fight, for example, we saw the combustion woman on the airship and she fires a beam at the stable. We see Tenzin struggling in a fight with a less experienced airbender. It should not be a hard fight for him. "

I'm not sure if Tenzin has had much experience in fighting airbenders due to them being wiped out until very recently.

"Then, we see the airship move a bit and combustion woman fires at Tenzin. As the show has been VERY bad about establishing where people are and when, it is a surprise. But, it is a cheap surprise, a contrivance. There is no reason to think the awkward and slow maneuvering airship can have a view of all of the temple."

P'Li is established to have been dealing with Kya and Bumi. After they are taken care of, she moves in on Tenzin. Tenzin is also outnumbered trying to fight off Ming-Hua, Ghazan, and Zaheer.

"WHY doesn't Tenzin run?"
He is still attempting to fight them off to protect his students. He states he won't stop fighting while he's still breathing. (Which is a hugely ironic choice of words due to the previous episode's death of Earth Queen. Gave me an oh crap moment on the chance Zaheer decided to kill him.)

Avatar is my Star Wars, if ya can't tell :P

S3 Finale Thoughts Show
Last few things:
-Those last few minutes haven't left my brain. Seeing what's going on in her head just from the way she's acting and reacting makes me feel so terrible for her. Seeing how the world has said multiple times to her that she is unneeded, then her friends taking over for her while she is recovering... ;_;
(My father, who is very surface level, somehow completely missed this. "Why is she sad? Jinora got tattoos and she beat the bad guy." I'm a bit dense myself so I cant blame him.)

-I'm a bad person. Go Korrasami. Because:
A:they are my two favorites and have had really nice chemistry this season 
B: they're so cayoot! ^_^

-I will be so happy if Toph makes an appearance next season.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MadBadCoyote wrote:

Show
"In the northern air temple fight, for example, we saw the combustion woman on the airship and she fires a beam at the stable. We see Tenzin struggling in a fight with a less experienced airbender. It should not be a hard fight for him. "
I'm not sure if Tenzin has had much experience in fighting airbenders due to them being wiped out until very recently.

Show
More importantly, Tenzin was NOT struggling in the fight with Zaheer. He was kicking Zaheer's ass. He only lost because he couldn't take on all 4 of the Red Lotus at once all by himself.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I know I'm in the minority here. I also must have forgotten the lightning factory. I can also say you could be correct that Mako is just half-assing most of the time. But, you have to admit that if you say something happened "so a fight took longer", that is weak writing. Ideally, remember setup and payoff. If the setup is right before the payoff, it's a contrivance. I have a low tolerance for contrivance. So, let me suggest a different way the season could have gone if the writing was stronger:

** Zaheer escapes prison. He splits his time between trying to talk to Korra and looking for a rare ore. When he finds the ore, he starts looking for a rare plant. He finally talks to Korra who turns him down in the spirit world. He tells Ming-Hua and Ghazan where to find Korra but she escapes. Finally, a red lotus member (did we see even one before the finale?) brings Zaheer the rare plant. He mixes a jug of poison. In their next fight, Ming-Hua bends the poison at Korra but it is blocked and absorbed by some earth. After the fight, Mako and the team investigate the substance and theorize it is a poison and may trigger the avatar state. Korra suggests she could take just a little of it and it might reconnect her with her past lives. "It's worth the risk", she says. But, Tenzin counsels caution so they don't try it. When we get to the finale, Zaheer brings out a bowl of the poison and we immediately know what it is and that it is too much. It will kill Korra. We also know that the substance requires both the plant and the mineral so a metal bender might neutralize it. Instead of flying, in the finale, Zaheer starts to glow and becomes some sort of spirit who can fly. Since he keeps hitting Korra's spirit, and he moves fast and flies, Korra is getting badly beaten. Her body is dying of poison while her spirit is being pummeled as well. Finally, the novice airbenders form a whirlwind while Jinora asks local spirits for help. The combined effort brings Zaheer down and he loses touch with the powerful spirit form he had temporarily achieved. Korra still cries at the end as she feels like she failed and Jinora feels like more of an avatar than she is. **

You might not like a single thing from what I wrote above. But, all I am doing is taking things that showed up out of nowhere and adding a setup for them somewhere earlier in the season or taking a setup and giving it a finale payoff. I think it makes sense and I like sense in a show that tries to make a point. ATLA was amazing. Korra has had a lot of problems. If you haven't listened to the commentary for season 2, the creators know they are dropping the ball, even if you don't think so:

"Mike admits that some parts of the finale didn’t make sense from a physical perspective, but they made sense from a spiritual perspective – which is all the more confusing."

http://avatarthelegendofkorraonline.com … otes/6054/

I post because I care.

Jp12x wrote:

I know I'm in the minority here. I also must have forgotten the lightning factory. I can also say you could be correct that Mako is just half-assing most of the time. But, you have to admit that if you say something happened "so a fight took longer", that is weak writing.

And probably an artifact of having to have episodes delivered by a certain date and be a certain length. You get to that episode, you storyboard your scenes, and discover, crap, you're short. Well, you have to pad it. It also sometimes happens that the storyboard artist does a 10 minute fight scene when it was intended to be one minute, but it's so awesome the director tries to fit in as much of it as possible.

And, let's be honest. Things ALWAYS happen to stretch out fight scenes. Otherwise, they'd all be over in a few seconds.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't think the poison needs to be set up so elaborately. It's poison. We understand how poison works. It's not even a magical poison or anything. A lot of people have speculated that it's mercury.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2014-08-27 13:31:55)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Finally got around to watching Justified. Man, I shouldn't have waited so long to give it a try. It's a really solid, enjoyable show anyway, but it's pushed right to the top by the presence of Walton Goggins. I <3 that guy so much. A massively underrated actor (he should have won 2 or 3 Emmys for The Shield, which is still my benchmark for quality tv) but keeps getting typecast as redneck types. He's high up on my list of "people you'd write a show for specifically so you could work with them".

But anyway, Justified, eff yeah.

Last edited by Herc (2014-08-30 08:05:45)

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile