Re: Zarban's lightsaber battle project

Dave wrote:
Zarban wrote:

You bring up a good point. Anybody want to play Niken's master Darth Voyne? Needs a hood and some makeup or mask against a dark background. Video quality is less important because it will be comped into the hologram.

Please disregard. Clear separation, good quality camera and lighting, please.

I would like to second the exasperated Australian.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2014-07-18 03:48:39)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Yep. Additionally, the effect will sell best if your lighting favors "up." Do a nice, generally diffuse lighting setup with a second fairly bright "from underneath" source.

Anyway, Zarban, written filming instructions are underway.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

220, 221, whatever it takes.

/Mr. Mom

Last edited by Zarban (2014-07-19 04:45:31)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

http://www.friendsinyourhead.com/turnover/shipv7.jpg

So, here's where this is at. I interpreted the design of the ship as being more prequel-y in style, so I started going in kind of an N1 Naboo Fighter / hot-rod direction with it.

I figure the ship is probably a little "bigger" than it looks, to allow for the ramp thing — think of it as a big yacht. There's still a bit left to do on it, and that remaining detail-work will make a big difference for scale-clues. Plus, right now it's kind of blobby, and it still needs guns and headlights. (With the headlights on, it'll look really slick and hot-roddy.)

There's also a turnaround video. It looks a lot better at 720p. (Or you can download it, that looks best of all.)

Anyway. Thanks to Dave for getting this ship off the ground.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

Damn, that looks awesome!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dude. Everyone is kiiiiiind of freaking out here.
big_smile !!

That looks great Teague, happy to have helped (albeit in a small way)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban — still working on my Tracking Treatise, but I have to run, and I might not have somethin' for ya before you wanna shoot if that's happening tomorrow.

For the purposes of a test shoot, it'll be fine if you over-mark it. (No paint-outs for a test shoot, so fuck it.) For test purposes, a pack of day-glo Post-It notes will do the trick. Tear off 1/2" squares, cross each square with a Sharpie'd vertical line and horizontal line, and paste 'em all over the place. (We'll call 'em "parkers" — Post-It Note Markers.) Don't think in terms of designating corners, think in terms of giving me "surfaces" to work with. Ideally there'll be no-fewer than two visible parkers on any surface that might later be replaced by a screen. (e.g., if we might put a screen on that wall back there, make sure there's always two or three visible parkers on that wall.)

This is actually way overkill, but it'll lemme test tracking. The nuances will become clear in the next post.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Okay, cool. I may try a test shoot tomorrow with Niken based on this. He has his full costume, so it might be a good example of what the raw footage will look like.

Meanwhile, Bathilda is finishing Butterfly's costume (she's changed her name to "Straya", by the way). I need to send her boots back. They didn't fit.

Tom can do a test for Darth Voyne any time.  big_smile

Drew is planning to come on the 26th to help shoot. Holden is still a maybe, I think. pimp

My audio adapter for the shotgun mike didn't work for my iPhone or iPad, but the mike works fine on the Canon Rebel camera itself, and I have a long extension cable, so we'll have A/V sync without much sacrifice.

I'm 95% sure I can help the 26th. The 5% uncertainty is because I erroneously told my gf this was going down on the 25th. Barring any plans with her on Saturday, I'm there. Hell, maybe she'll join us.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We definitely will do some stuff in the late afternoon of the 25th, but Drew's not available that day, is all. If you are, then we're cool.

I have guest rooms available for anyone who needs to stay overnight. I'd be remiss if I didn't offer a movie in my theater along with pizza.

Zarban wrote:

Can you glower? He should glower.

I'll glower the living shit out of that shot.

Separate lighting for green screen and subject: no prob. as for color gels and such, it'll be much more of an issue, but I'm also shooting in raw, so white balance isn't an issue.

I'll need lines, directions and a deadline.

EDIT:

Also, if you pay my flight, I'm game for that movie and pizza thing  pimp

Last edited by Tomahawk (2014-07-19 15:00:43)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just want to stand up and clap and applause everyone's efforts.  I'm ridiculously behind on a few side projects right now and I had to force myself away from this thread.  Doesn't mean I don't love ya, Zarbs.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tomahawk wrote:

Separate lighting for green screen and subject: no prob. as for color gels and such, it'll be much more of an issue, but I'm also shooting in raw, so white balance isn't an issue.

I'll need lines, directions and a deadline.

The script is final at version 4 (the only difference is the name change from Butterfly to Straya).

Your role is to answer your communication and sit there and deliver your Darth Voyne lines like in the storyboards. Glower darkly and chew your lines. At the end, you have a key moment when you have to react to Straya's vow to find and destroy you; so you need to give an angry growl and make a sharp motion to end the transmission.

Our shoot will be next weekend and maybe a pick-up the weekend after. Post will last for months. So If you can do a quick test for Teague in the next week or so, that would be great.

Darth Niken's costume is nearly complete. The final belt is on the way. He's declined a face tattoo. Maybe I can persuade him to go with a scar....
http://images61.fotki.com/v665/photos/8/1022498/13107056/074-vi.jpg

Straya's costume is on its way. The boots are in stock at the local store, so we'll actually exchange them for the right size this afternoon.  smile

Looking good, Zarban!

You guys keep up the excellent work. I can't wait to see more smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm completely free on the 26th, so I'll head up that way and pitch in where I can.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

I'm jelly.

Yes, it's possible I just checked Priceline to see what a flight to and from Indy would cost.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

I'm jelly.

Yes, it's possible I just checked Priceline to see what a flight to and from Indy would cost.

South Bend would be the place to come and go from. Indy is 3 hrs away, and hardly bigger of an airport.

/piiiiizza

EDIT: I gave the kids their scripts this weekend. They're getting nervous and want to practice. Didn't have time to do a camera/costume test. Too much family stuff (HS graduation reception). Successfully exchanged the boots, tho.

All lights are green.

Last edited by Zarban (2014-07-21 22:56:05)

Just tell them to remember, the point of this isn't to find out how close you all can get to making the perfect short film. The point of this is to find out what short film you make. So long as something gets made, there's literally no way to screw it up.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

26th confirmed. I'LL BE THERE TO HELP YOU.

Last edited by oTom (2014-07-22 13:30:44)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Awesome! Okay, Jim, Holden, and Drew are coming on the 26th--early afternoon, presumably. I'll DM details.

I'm thrilled! The filming and audio might not be incompetent!

/no guarantees expressed or implied
//past performance is not an indicator of future results
///offer good in participating locations only
////sorry, Tennessee

AT LAST!!! The fool Zarban has reveal the location of his lair!
There will be no one to stop us this time, and if that meddling Tysto tries to spoil my plans...muahahahaha!
{flourish cape, exit stage left}

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Surprise! I'll be there too!

...imposing!

Crashing with Jim in Chicago. (Was the cheapest city to fly into, between that, Indy and SB.)

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What what WAHT?!

http://spacemancentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/wpid-Brovlovski-sheila.gif

Teague wrote:

Surprise! I'll be there too!

^
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtLLp4eCEAAqrvc.jpg:large

Last edited by Faldor (2014-07-22 20:22:03)

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog