Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Re: World War Z

http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/wwz/wwz.png

not long to go now...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I'm not sure that I agree that Titanic had no theme outside of "do what you can to survive while the boat sinks". It had a pretty strong throughline about not accepting your prescribed fate, with both Jack and Rose making active decisions to change the course of their lives, and then Rose going through with that after Jack died, making the choice not to go back to her former life.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Of course you are right, and we are nonsense.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You are not nonsense.

Here's a fun thought: The movie as a metaphor for immunization! As you know (lol), there is a small but vocal group of irrational people who refuse immunizations for their children. This movie shows that injecting a solution of potential autism will save you from the worse disease.

VACCINATE YOUR CHILDREN Show
I personally find it repulsive that a parent would deny a potentially life-saving immunization because of fear of autism. What's that say about their views on autism? Or lack of awareness, I guess, about our national viral defense system. Also, none of them talk to their grandparents or whoever about what it was like to live without immunizations? It wasn't good.) And, vaccinate your pets, while I'm ranting.

MY MOVIE OPINION Show
I'm not an average moviegoer, so I'll just say I was not really into the movie and I can't call it good unless I give it bonus points for being a zombie movie, a summer movie, and an expected disaster (none of which are actually the movie).

• The plane crash was not 'kind of a bit much, maybe' to me. It was just one of the most obvious contrivances. And, there are far too many contrivances for my taste.  I though 'this is bullsh!t' more times than I care to recall.

• The movie is part action, part adventure, part survival, part horror, part...and it doesn't work for me. Yes, I watched it and it mostly kept my attention. That doesn't make it 'good'.

• There are also too many magic beans for me:

• There are zombies now. I don't care if they run or hibernate that's just flavor/type at this point. As science cannot explain them, they are a magic bean. Since it is a zombie movie, I give this one a pass.

• The infected die but don't suffer from natural decay mechanisms that would cause them to be worm food in days (except they still get dirty, injured, lose their hair, have saggy and discolored skin, etc, all of which suggest wear/tear and decay is taking place).

• The virus/parasite somehow causes the infected to actively avoid terminally ill people (they run around a man in one scene when they could have just bowled him over). It is not part of zombie lore, can't be scientifically or even thematically explained, and just makes no sense. I don't care if it is part of the 'save the third act, save the movie' material. It's telekinesis on top of time travel. In the context of the movie, really sick people have a special power. (If the infected avoided a single kind of virus I'd probably be ok with it, even without explanation)

• The virus/parasite detects miniscule amounts of a virus in a person, only seconds after injection. I count this separately as we have not seen how sick someone needs to be to be avoided and then Brad whips out this new miracle. Isn't AIDS terminal? Does HIV count? Has the virus he injected even finished moving through his body? What is the difference to the infected between carrying a vial of active virus and having it in your cells? I wonder about the soldier with lung cancer or something who was invincible but the movie thinks you won't wonder about it.

Last edited by Jp12x (2014-07-24 15:59:56)

I post because I care.
  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
"Feel free to flame me. I don't like Legends of Korra or Gravity, either."

I feel bad... as this movie couldn't hold my interest... at all. And I'm not sure why.

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was bored to tears by this movie. The biggest reaction it got out of me was when Brad Pitt heroically chugged that Pepsi at the end after getting the thing or whatever. I laughed like a lunatic.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Could it be that this movie feels like it was okay because of all bad publicity beforehand? Everyone's expectations were lowered.

Whereas had the movie had an unblemished PR campaign causing everyone to be super-stoked... we'd all now be going 'meh', especially at the anti-climatic ending. Even so, there's plenty who 'meh'-ed anyway.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Me and thewalkindude. Us against the world.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

I was bored to tears by this movie. The biggest reaction it got out of me was when Brad Pitt heroically chugged that Pepsi at the end after getting the thing or whatever. I laughed like a lunatic.

Yeah, I couldn't care less for this movie. It's Brad Pitt sleepwalking (or should I say 'sleeprunning') through a zombie epidemic. The action scenes with hordes of computer animated zombies did nothing for me.

I'll take the classic "Zombie: Flesh Eaters" over this one any day. That movie has a zombie fighting a shark!  big_smile

Zombi is one of the greatest movies ever made if you trust my opinions

Don't trust my opinions, but really it is.

Thumbs up Thumbs down