Re: Doctor Who is awesome, yeah?

Tomahawk wrote:

The thing that struck me most about Clara, was

Show
How she is the only one who's seen all the incarnations of the Doctor, been with all of them(sorta), and still has issues accepting this new face. Out of all people in all the universe, she seems like the character that would have the least problems with it.

SPOILER Show
I always assumed it was because those were all copies that splintered off from her. She never references any of her other incarnations after that happens, and none of the other incarnations seem to know anything about the Doctor either. Even during the scene in his head at the end of Name of the Doctor, she doesn't seem to understand all of the other Doctors in the room with her. I think we're left to assume that none of the Claras have any knowledge or memories from each other.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

I totally agree Tomahawk, that was my major issue with Clara. Instead they pretty much used her as a mouth piece for all the fans that were in it for Tennant and Smith only.

If there's one thing that bothered me about this episode, it's Clara's reaction. I buy that her character would react that way, but the meta-commentary was laid on way too thick.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sam Dee wrote:

the Galifreians granted him another regeneration cycle. This has been done in classic who (not with The Doctor though)  with gallifrey giving The Master a new cycle

Why the hell did Moffat go so far out of his way to fix this minor continuity point from forty odd years ago only to set a new regeneration limit on the Doctor?

I really dislike Clara she is completely bland, like "Can we get Martha back?" bland.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Again, writers on Who do things without regard for how it will screw later writers. It's tradition smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Faldor wrote:
Sam Dee wrote:

the Galifreians granted him another regeneration cycle. This has been done in classic who (not with The Doctor though)  with gallifrey giving The Master a new cycle

Why the hell did Moffat go so far out of his way to fix this minor continuity point from forty odd years ago only to set a new regeneration limit on the Doctor?

I really dislike Clara she is completely bland, like "Can we get Martha back?" bland.

I do wonder how long she will be the Doctor's companion, given her reaction to number 12.

Also, I kind of like the fact that they granted another cycle to the Doctor, even if it was in a circus performance kind of a way.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

She's leaving this year, I believe. Companions rarely last more than two years.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

She's leaving this year, I believe. Companions rarely last more than two years.

Stupid expiration dates wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

sellew wrote:

SPOILER Show
Jesus God, that was awful.  Let's get the good out of the way first.  Two words:  Peter Capaldi.  He's very good, and the only good thing about it. 

Christ, where to start?  Why was this episode 80 minutes long?  Virtually nothing happens of any relevance until about an hour into it.  It's like they wrote the climactic third act scene between the Doctor and the control robot, and then just forgot to write the rest of it until production started, so they just filled the rest of the running time with a load of random crap that they quasi-improvised on these Victorian sets that they'd built.  None of it goes anywhere and none of it has any real bearing on the story.

And when you've got a new Doctor, why set the story with these three other characters that we've seen before?  It's just taking screen time away from getting to understand the new Doctor and actually having a story.  I'm not super familiar with them, having only seen about 2/3s of the David Tennant/Matt Smith episodes, and I think the ones with these guys I might have frequently skipped because IMDB said the episodes were bad, so I guess that's partly my fault.  But they're not really introduced well.  And they don't seem to have any story function in terms of helping us understand the Doctor any better or having any relation/perspective that's different from Clara. 

And the Sontaran guy in particular kept making me think of Robert Reed's memo about the Brady Bunch. It's a complete mess in terms of genre, not only between drama and comedy but within different genres of comedy as well.  Tonally we seem to be going in that darker direction that was promised, but then there's this slapstick stuff.  Exactly how much 'realism' is there supposed to be in this world, once we allow for the "there's aliens and time travel" magic bean?  Nothing feels right about the way that the various 'ordinary people' or police, for example, are reacting to the fantastical things that are happening.  And what the heck is happening at the very, very end?

And do not even start me about the way in which, in the final scene, Clara begins to accept that the new Doctor is actually her Doctor.  It's an absolute, complete fucking cop out.  Like the most egregious example you could construct of violating "show, don't tell".  Clara can't come to realize this by things like, say, the choices the Doctor makes or dialogue or any of that traditionally storytelling stuff.  We need the proverbial gorilla to come out of fucking nowhere.  Maybe it was somehow previously set up somewhere and I missed it, but that does not make it any better. 

Finally, for some reason I've never been quite so struck by the awfulness of the music before.  It's unbelievably intrusive and attention seeking.  Every five seconds we get bludgeoned over the head so that we know that Something Important is happening, people are running down the street, whatever.  And even the more mellow things still are really cliched (music box-y stuff to create an unsettling atmosphere, etc.)

I'd be inclined to give it some time to find its feet, if it weren't for the fact that the only 'new' part of it seems to be the only thing that's good.  Peter Capaldi seems to have hit the ground running.  He's not the problem.  The problem is the writer/showrunner that's been involved with the show for like three years already, and that does not bode well.

Whoof.

Firstly, agreed that Capaldi was by far the best part of this episode.

Regarding the rest of the stuff...I totally agree, but would note that the episode itself is still essentially being written like a Smith episode (ie "terrible"). The way it looks and feels, the dialog and the (all over the place) tone, the poor character work and the lack of a coherent story. It's all very Smith-era.

It's going to take a few episodes for the writers/producers to catch up with things and make the show itself mesh well with Capaldi's rendition of The Doctor. I'm of the mind that the sooner they get rid of Clara, the better, as she's the last real direct tie with the previous reincarnation.

Specifically you mention the introductions of the other Doctors...and I would point out this:

Eccleston came from a Blank State.
Tennant came from Eccleston's wonderfully intense PTSD Doctor.
Smith came from Tennat's super fun and well balanced Doctor.
Capadli is coming from Smith's bumbling, childish, fairy-tale Doctor.

I actually would have been shocked (and extremely impressed) if the show seamlessly transitioned coming from that into a fully formed Capaldi-suited episode. That's not saying it's not possible...just that it would have been quite a feat, considering what they've been doing for years and that the 2nd most important character (Clara) was completely developed within the past iteration.

Amusingly, I think that's why Capaldi felt so jarringly separate from the rest of the episode -- and why I have hope that once they catch up to him we could finally get back to some really good Who.

LatinAlice wrote:

Show
it strikes me as completely in character for the Eleventh Doctor to call to future Clara. Whether it is enough to motivate Clara's sudden acceptance of the new Doctor...I say no. And, unfortunately, it undermines her character.

You lost me with the assumption that Clara has an actual character which could be undermined.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BBQ wrote:

Specifically you mention the introductions of the other Doctors...and I would point out this:

Eccleston came from a Blank State.
Tennant came from Eccleston's wonderfully intense PTSD Doctor.
Smith came from Tennat's super fun and well balanced Doctor.
Capadli is coming from Smith's bumbling, childish, fairy-tale Doctor.

Others have mentioned that the Smith/Capaldi transition is very similar to the Davidson/Colin Baker one. In each case, you're seeing a change from childish to almost anti-hero. Baker was given his own companion to start things off with, though.

I actually would have been shocked (and extremely impressed) if the show seamlessly transitioned coming from that into a fully formed Capaldi-suited episode. That's not saying it's not possible...just that it would have been quite a feat, considering what they've been doing for years and that the 2nd most important character (Clara) was completely developed within the past iteration.

You would think, nowadays, that wouldn't be a problem. Unless they actually used a script written for a "generic" Doctor (as was done with the first McCoy episode), it should have been written to show off how his new personality was forming and tell us where the show was going. A good producer would also have filmed a couple other episodes first, letting the actor settle into his part before he has to deal with how he becomes the Doctor (this was done with Peter Davidson)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

A good producer would also-

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-l0JjC0wDEeg/UtBUInhCtVI/AAAAAAAAJ5o/5NPYaWeXosY/s1600/Steven+Moffat.png

...never mind.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I agree with people's complaints about Deep Breath but I liked Clara in it. That scene with the lead robot dude was great for both actress and character. I wasn't a huge fan of Clara before but that scene gives me hope for her which will no doubt be dashed soon.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I agree with most of what's been said here. Inauspicious beginning for Twelve. But the nature of the regeneration conceit allows for some adjustment time.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

New episode on tonight with the return of the darleks! One thing that I will say about the previous episode is that I quite liked the cinematography. This new series already feels different in tone, it looks and feels moodier/darker with harsher lights (Like in the restaurant scene, it feels cold, clinical and tense even before we realize that something is up) which makes me wonder how 'dark' this series will get. I wonder if it'll be like the baker years with horror/gothic elements to it!

So I have a question guys, who would you say is your favorite doctor? For me, I go with Paul McGann. The TV movie is very cheesy but he has some great moments in it ("Stand aside or I'll shoot myself!") What makes him my favorite is that I found him to be really enjoyable and engaging in the Big Finish audio dramas! If you haven't listened to some, definitely check them out.

I was walking past the Newcastle branch of Forbidden Planet this afternoon and noticed in the window that they were selling union-jack painted daleks.  Pig ignorance, or irony?  It's so hard to tell sometimes.

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sam Dee wrote:

So I have a question guys, who would you say is your favorite doctor?

We had a separate thread for that queston (it's hard to find, 'cause its title is confusing).

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think what Sam is picking up on in the filmmaking is just because Ben Wheately directed the first 2 episodes.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So, episode 2.  A significant improvement from last week, as we go from 'bewilderingly awful' to 'not very good'.  If the present trend continues, who knows what heights we might scale?

Peter Capaldi is still very good to excellent, though perhaps slightly let down by the aspects of the script.  Sure, it's supposed to be new regeneration and blah blah blah, but I think it's in the Thor commentary where the guys talk about drafts that just have the first thing you thought of for a line or a joke or whatever, and you then come back later to fix those.  Except if feels in places like they just never did that. 

But the big problem though is still the story. 

In the writer's guide for the original Star Trek, one of the things that Gene Roddenberry is at pains to emphasize is that science fiction doesn't have its own dramatic rules.  In principle, any story for Star Trek should be 'translatable' into something that would work in a police procedural, a hospital show, a legal show, etc. and be dramatically satisfying.  And that just doesn't happen in this episode.  You can hang all the lanterns on it you want, which they do (and I think this episode must have needed a dedicated gaffer just for that), but that doesn't make it better.

SPOILER Show
Acknowledging that the concept is just a ripoff of Fantastic Voyage doesn't make it any less lazy.  And Clara complaining about being asked to just "do something clever" doesn't alter the fact that nothing that she does or that happens makes any sense.  "Hey, maybe this panel connects to something.  Wow, and pushing this button that sends memories (which doesn't otherwise seem to be stopping the Dalek) makes the 'Dalek antibodies' stop attacking us." I think if they'd just had Wesley invert the phase polarity it would have worked a lot better.

And what's kind of frustrating is that, just last week's episode actually, it seems like there's the core of a good idea here:

SPOILER Show
the idea of a 'good' Dalek, and the idea that life always wins out in the end over extermination, and how that possibly relates to the Doctor's character, particularly given (relatively) recent events

But it's all just so half-assedly executed -- as if it was enough just to have the idea, rather than then needing to embed that idea in a decent story and script. 

And even at 40 minutes the episode feels padded, though it's not as bad as last week.

SPOILER Show
However much time is taken up by the various shipboard battle sequences, it feels like too much, since they don't do anything, and none of these characters are well drawn enough to be that invested in whatever this vague rebellion is.  And it's not helped by the fact that we've got all this heavy-handed 'arc' stuff (OK, geez, I get it.  Mr Pink is one of these rebellion guys.).  Plus the fact that Clara's not traveling with the Doctor means that we have to waste time going back to pick her up, and then drop her off again.

I see from Wikipedia that starting with episode 7 we're getting a run of episodes by people who seem never to have written for Doctor Who before.  I'm quietly hopeful that maybe, with a little luck, those might possibly be 'meh'.

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

All Doctor Who problems can be solved by reversing the polarity of the neutron flow.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Great comment about Sci-fi needing story. Every time I hear someone call 'super-hero' a genre I think the same. A story with super-heroes can also be a mystery just as a Sci-fi in space can also be horror. I think Sci-fi is more setting than genre.

Meanwhile, in the TARDIS: I think Doctor Who has been plagued by this problem since its inception. The original series had staff writers and budget problems, etc. Since 2005, we have Davies and Moffat running the show and that has come with both good and bad consequences.

I post because I care.
  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
"Feel free to flame me. I don't like Legends of Korra or Gravity, either."

sellew wrote:

And what's kind of frustrating is that, just last week's episode actually, it seems like there's the core of a good idea here:

SPOILER Show
the idea of a 'good' Dalek, and the idea that life always wins out in the end over extermination, and how that possibly relates to the Doctor's character, particularly given (relatively) recent events

But it's all just so half-assedly executed -- as if it was enough just to have the idea, rather than then needing to embed that idea in a decent story and script.

This episode was almost as frustrating as Asylum of the Daleks in its poor handling of a great idea.

Last edited by Cotterpin Doozer (2014-09-01 11:26:50)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jp12x wrote:

Great comment about Sci-fi needing story. Every time I hear someone call 'super-hero' a genre I think the same. A story with super-heroes can also be a mystery just as a Sci-fi in space can also be horror. I think Sci-fi is more setting than genre.

I've been banging that drum for years.

Genre: Action/Adventure, Horror, Drama, Comedy, Mystery, etc...
Settings: Super-Hero, Sci-Fi, Western, Period, Noir, etc...

While it's true that the setting helps shape the plot and can give each genre it's own flair, fundamentally the storytelling genre stands separate.

As for the 2nd episode of the new Who...I thought it was ok, and definitely a step in the right direction.

The opening segment felt like a Eccelston/Tennant episode in all the right ways. It wasn't perfect, but it was enjoyable. The "smaller on the outside" gag literally made me laugh out loud...something I'm not sure I did once in the entire Smith run (I'm not counting Tennant's jokes in the special).

The rest of the episode was ok. Tone was good, Capaldi was good, resolution was a bit nonsensical but less so than most of the last few seasons.

The Doctor undid a bolt with the sonic screwdriver, which was a little annoying...but I guess that ship sailed long ago.

Clara was a bit better in spurts here, though the aforementioned "bang on things" solution was dumb and her little "what did we learn" lecture to the Doctor grated me to no end. I think they are actually headed to making her an actual person, which would be nice if it weren't for the fact that she's not been that for so long and leaving soon. I really think they should have just written her off somehow and started with a fresh companion. It's thinking way to low of the audience to believe that you need the companion there to bridge the gap and make them understand it's the same Doctor (which I don't think they've done especially well with anyways).

I'm starting to dig the "Missy" mystery, and I'm going to toss out the theory that it's future Clara who's turned evil and obsessed with the Doctor, attempting to work some plan where they (her and the Smith version) can end up together forever. That has the potential to be a lot of fun...though admittedly I don't actually think that's the answer.

I have more thoughts...but lunch is over and I have a meeting to get to.

Last edited by BBQ (2014-09-05 00:16:41)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

These guys are a pair of knuckleheads but eventually stumbled into what I consider the biggest problem.

http://thedoctorwhorewatchpodcast.blogs … -into.html

At the ending of the last episode, I felt Clara was being written inconsistently: she really likes Dr smith but is uncomfortable with Dr Capaldo; She sacrificed herself to help Dr Smith but won't give Dr Capaldo the benefit of the doubt; etc.

So the premier ends with her giving Capaldo a chance (since Smith told her to) and they go for coffee. Then, as mentioned in the second episode: CAPALDO DITCHED HER. FOR THREE WEEKS. She only grudgingly is accompanying him, presumably to make up her mind during a chat and coffee. But, he leaves. As far as I know, that would be the end of her interest in him. Instead, she accompanies him again and just bickers a bit. She agrees to shrink and enter an alien killing machine on behalf of an unfamiliar space army which threatened to summarily execute her and the Doctor. Worse, she is constantly saying knowledgeable things like 'he's crazy and right' while also maintaining she doesn't know him and if 'he is a good man'. The writing in general has been inconsistent but Clara is the glaring example.

The Whinecast also pointed out this is basically the same story as the Eccleston episode 'Dalek'.

I post because I care.
  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
"Feel free to flame me. I don't like Legends of Korra or Gravity, either."

Well that was... I can find no other word for it than...offensive.

On every aspect. The story was a trainwreck..literally, I think the script for this and a copy of a Robin Hood novel got in a trainwreck and the pages that didn't get burnt, shredded or lost were just thrown together in and called a script. It completely abandoned anything even resembling the (minimal) character work of the last two episodes. Completely abandoned any sense of reality or irony at what it was doing. And let's just not even talk about the Screwdrivers new ability to make a explode a pile of wood in a massive fireball can we?

All I want to do is sit Doctor WHo down and say "You see this? This right here? This is why I can't love you, and believe me I want to love you, with every fiber of my being I want to scream your glory to the wind.. but it's shit like this dude. I mean dammit man."

The really painful part, is that I enjoyed the first two episodes, I really really wanted to believe they were going somewhere with it all. That this really was a new season and a new Doctor.  And I saw the struggling character development, and the slightly half-assed story's, but there was at the very least a core to it that was interesting and hinted at something deeper. But this makes it really really hard to believe any of that anymore. This season is gonna have to do some major work to get back up there now.

And more than anything, it just makes me sad.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

So the new Robin Hood episode felt pretty clearly like a Matt Smith episode, in all the worst ways. Maybe they had the rough idea/outline already made up for Smith, but never had a chance to make it...so they just shoved it in here with a few tweaks for Capaldi. It had a good bit here and there, but overall quiet disappointing.

BigDamnArtist wrote:

And let's just not even talk about the Screwdrivers new ability to make a explode a pile of wood in a massive fireball can we?

Dude, that ship sailed LONG ago. And as far as offenses of this kind go, this was relatively minor. In the last episode he unscrews a nut/hatch inside a dalek. In the special there's that long, convoluted way the Doctors unlock an old wooden door, and there are countless examples going back through a lot of modern Who (I haven't seen all of Classic Who, but I'd bet they break the rules, too).

Besides, this one has a fairly easy retcon:

Show
At the end the Doctor says he cheated in the archery contest by putting in some sort of homing device into the arrow. One can presume that the Doctor used his sonic to do something that caused the arrow itself to explode.

No retcon is perfect, but that one isn't particularly difficult to see working within the Who universe.

BigDamnArtist wrote:

The really painful part, is that I enjoyed the first two episodes, I really really wanted to believe they were going somewhere with it all. That this really was a new season and a new Doctor.

It's the 3rd episode...take a step back off the cliff.

The first was a rough transition, but ended alright. The second was ok and looked like continued movement in the right direction. The third was a leftover Smith script they threw in. Let's give it a few more episodes before we start burning the house down. I mean, hell, if you made it through Smith, there's no special reason why NOW is the time to freak.

Thumbs up Thumbs down