Re: What Are You Doing, Movie? :: Glossary

Dorkman wrote:

"Coffee and bagels" doesn't have an entry yet, I'll write one up.

Oh good, because I've heard that one several times and don't know what it means.

Voice of God:
Just heard one in the Dark Knight commentary... 'Voice of God', where a director clarifies something in an interview/commentary/press conference after the movie has been released, that was unclear or ambiguous for the viewers. For example, Nolan confirming that Harvey Dent is actually dead, or Ridley Scott declaring Deckard a Replicant.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Nice one.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Your glossary is .... missing?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's on the blog. I'll update the link in the thread.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Read through it, and while I can't really add anything (yet. Relistening to a lot of episodes right now) I am glad that there are good examples of what things are as well.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

"Bringing your own concrete" taken from the Prometheus commentary. I quite like that analogy. And I believe it was used in one subsequent commentary, but I can't remember which.

I don't remember that one hmm

Definition?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Filling in plot holes with ideas, events, or other elements not present in the film itself.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

Filling in plot holes with ideas, events, or other elements not present in the film itself.

So, what we would be doing on the new board...
Name idea, maybe?

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

In the new forum I think we'd be building whole new roads...

You use concrete for that, don't you?

Don't lie to me, Sim City!

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Bring your own asphalt"...

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

The term is less about what would make it better in a rewrite, and more what an audience member brings to and accepts as already part of the "canon" of the movie, even though the movie does not establish it.

If you're arguing a plot hole in a movie with a friend who likes it more than you do, and they justify how the plot hole actually isn't that big a hole, and it involves some variation of the phrase "We can probably assume..." they're bringing their own concrete to fill in the hole.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's a tough term in general, because you want the audience to bring their own pavement to an extent, you don't want the movie to necessarily spell everything out. Lots of great films deal in ambiguity and letting the audience do some of the leg-work. The phrase really kicks in when the movie is lazily and badly written and doesn't know what it's about, and tries to rely on the audience making up absolutely crazy amounts of back-story and inference to try to justify what is supposed to be going on. Prometheus being a prime example of this.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

It's a tough term in general, because you want the audience to bring their own pavement to an extent, you don't want the movie to necessarily spell everything out. Lots of great films deal in ambiguity and letting the audience do some of the leg-work. The phrase really kicks in when the movie is lazily and badly written and doesn't know what it's about, and tries to rely on the audience making up absolutely crazy amounts of back-story and inference to try to justify what is supposed to be going on. Prometheus being a prime example of this.

I think it's more along the lines that you want the audience to have the ability to put in the connective tissue between the bones, connecting the femur to the tibia to get a grander sense of the whole leg, but "Bring Your Own Concrete" applies when the audience has to just bring in the tibia all on their own because the movie just didn't bother putting it there.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Has the list ever been updated?

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

like i allways said the movie world is not the real world just because the real world we see it every day and we usually want to see our world like a fairytail bun like in blender used by a beginer you can see is not really a fairytail so people construct a fairrytail to enter in a imaginary world , we know is a imaginary world is a screen with some effects there  , i know that for sure .

Thumbs up Thumbs down

take the red pill dude !!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Listened to the Thor documentary recently, and I really liked the "Rainbow Bridge" or "Bifrost" term. Meaning when a character goes through an obvious transformation arc but the movie does not make it clear when or how this happened. It's a bridge from A to B, but intangible. And Thor (wherein is the actual Bifrost) is a perfect example.

You have to put it in your glossary, as I'm now convinced that perfect reference is the only reason why that movie exists.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down