Re: Guardians of the Galaxy

Fair point. For the record, I was never once confused by the film. I think it's extremely straightforward. It's just so packed with details that only appeal to fans.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Fair point. For the record, I was never once confused by the film. I think it's extremely straightforward. It's just so packed with details that only appeal to PEOPLE INTERESTED IN THE UNIVERSE.

FIFY

I knew NOTHING about this universe going into the movie, but it absolutely fascinated me when I was watching, so I payed attention to it. And nor was I ever confused by anything going on, the movie gave me just enough to follow along with bogging me down, and then if I cared enough to read the rest of what it was building, then I got to experience it.

Hence my reference to Farscape, because that's exactly what they do all the way through the series. Sure it's not a one to one ratio Dave, but it builds a really cool universe and let's you just live in it, without feeling the need to explain everything to you.

Dave wrote:

You feel stretched, and that you didn't have time to experience all the wonderful things you saw.

This is why we rewatch movies. (Well one the reasons)

Granted if you got lost along the way and couldn't follow, I can get why you might not feel that way. But I can't relate, like I said, I had zero problem following anything in this movie. And I am really really looking forward to getting to watch it to start looking for all the extra world building I didn't see the first time.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:
Doctor Submarine wrote:

Fair point. For the record, I was never once confused by the film. I think it's extremely straightforward. It's just so packed with details that only appeal to PEOPLE INTERESTED IN THE UNIVERSE.

FIFY

I knew NOTHING about this universe going into the movie, but it absolutely fascinated me when I was watching, so I payed attention to it. And nor was I ever confused by anything going on, the movie gave me just enough to follow along with bogging me down, and then if I cared enough to read the rest of what it was building, then I got to experience it.

Hence my reference to Farscape, because that's exactly what they do all the way through the series. Sure it's not a one to one ratio Dave, but it builds a really cool universe and let's you just live in it, without feeling the need to explain everything to you.

Dave wrote:

You feel stretched, and that you didn't have time to experience all the wonderful things you saw.

This is why we rewatch movies. (Well one the reasons)

Granted if you got lost along the way and couldn't follow, I can get why you might not feel that way. But I can't relate, like I said, I had zero problem following anything in this movie. And I am really really looking forward to getting to watch it to start looking for all the extra world building I didn't see the first time.

If this is how this film is, then I will make the effort to see it. Because, I felt the same way about Chronicles of Riddick, and was not disappointed.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Personally that's how I saw it. Judging by this thread I may be among the few in that respect.

While I haven't sat down and watched through Chronicles, what I have seen, does really intrigue me on the same line of thinking that Guardians did.

So either way yeah, I'd say go see it.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

To be clear I was never *lost*, although the film did try to lose my interest.

It was fun, but 7/10 fun.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave wrote:

To be clear I was never *lost*, although the film did try to lose my interest.

When the movie ended, did you stand up pointing to the screen, laughing mockingly?

"Ha! I'm still interested! You lose, movie!"

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Well, that dancing groot...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Finally caught up with it and saw it. It's so close to being great, but as Trey said, the story is overly cluttered, and I really think they dropped the ball with their ending. The whole appeal of this story is that they're not superheros, they're just ordinary folks coming together to save the day, and then they pull a bullshit

SPOILER Show
oh, you can hold the stone because your father is actually some ancient galactic super-race or some shit. I'm so sick to death of this pre-destination bullshit, why can't he just be an average kid?

I would say the first half is fantastic, and the 2nd half needs to lose about 25 minutes of plot and repetitive action and replace it with more of the characters just hanging out together. You know, having a massive end-movie dogfight battle is a lot more impactful if you didn't just do a big mid-movie dogfight battle 30 minutes ago.

All that being said, it's easily my favorite of the marvel movies, the closest to something that genuinely feels like it has a personality to it instead of their usual generic machine-like productions. It's also the first of their movies I've seen where I think the cinematography is great and that's got genuinely impressive FX work throughout. I've complained in the past about how flat and TV-like a lot of their movies look, but that's definitely not the case here. Great designs, integration of practical and CG, and creature effects (I thought Rocket was great for the record).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

...they're not superheros, they're just ordinary folks coming together to save the day, and then they pull a bullshit

SPOILER Show
oh, you can hold the stone because your father is actually some ancient galactic super-race or some shit. I'm so sick to death of this pre-destination bullshit, why can't he just be an average kid?

I didn't write it so I can't say for sure, but I think this is a red herring. In the comics, the stones don't work like that and just about all the Guardians have had a gem at some point (and plenty of humans, too). I think this is the Marvel Cinematic Universe showing galactic racism. There have been mentions in multiple movies that humans are scum and not ready for interplanetary conflict: Thor thinks the Earth needs babysitting; Loki thinks humans need to be dominated; Yondu disparages humans even while saying he might have eaten Quill;

In short, my understanding is that the head of the Novas is a racist and thinks Quill succeeded in spite of being human. So, she's looking for a reason to say he is special.  [If you don't quite see it, consider how different the movie would be with these tropes: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M … AreSpecial http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M … IsSuperior ]

Last edited by Jp12x (2014-09-06 04:19:14)

I post because I care.
  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
"Feel free to flame me. I don't like Legends of Korra or Gravity, either."

Jp12x wrote:
bullet3 wrote:

...they're not superheros, they're just ordinary folks coming together to save the day, and then they pull a bullshit

SPOILER Show

I didn't write it so I can't say for sure, but I think this is a red herring. In the comics, the stones don't work like that and just about all the Guardians have had a gem at some point. I think this is the Marvel Cinematic Universe showing galactic racism. There have been mentions in multiple movies now that humans are scum and not ready for interplanetary conflict: Thor thinks the Earth needs babysitting; Loki thinks humans need to be dominated; Yondu disparages humans even while saying he might have eaten Quill;

In short, my understanding is that the head of the Novas is a racist and thinks Quill succeeded in spite of being human, not because of it. So, she's looking for a reason to say he is special.  [If you don't quite see it, consider how different the movie would be with these tropes: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M … AreSpecial http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M … IsSuperior ]

I want to believe you but the fact we literally see

SPOILER Show
the Collector's assistant blasted into a million itty bitty pieces and blow up his entire lair the instant she touches it kinda puts a damper on that idea.

I also don't think it's just a straight-up pre-destination thing either. They mention that that probably gave him a decent head start. But there's a line earlier in the movie talking about a species that tried to harness the stone, and that by joining thier minds (or something) together they were able to hold off the destructive effects of the stone longer. So it's definitely set up to be a "power of friendship" thing. Cause if I remember correctly Quill is pretty darn close to being ripped apart by the time he grabs Gamora's hand, and that's what let's them keep holding the stone, repeat, repeat, repeat for the rest of the Gaurdians, until you have a "BY THE POWER OF US COMBINED WE WILL DESTROY YOU" thing going on.

So if the ending was just Quill ghrabbing the stone and being like "Oh cool, I got powers and shit, awesome." yeah, I'd call bullshit on the pre-destination crap. But it's pretty clear that he's just part badass Alien species that gives him 10 seconds longer with the stone before being ripped to shreds.

That said I do think it would have been cooler if Quinn was just a plain old human out in the Galaxy. But I'm interested to see what they do with his dad and Ravagers being sent to get Quill and all that Jazz.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2014-09-06 04:27:45)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

My main point was agreeing with BigDamn: Quill isn't wielding the stone safely because he's half magic alien. His father barely comes up in the comics and doesn't give him any powers. Repeat: 'Star-Lord' has no powers.

Nerd Talk Show
Yes, there's an obvious 'power of friendship' thing, etc. I was pointing out that the key to all of the gems is being able to adapt to them. Drax has the power for a while in the comic and it makes him Hulk strong. IT can do more than that, but that's all Drax can manage. The Collector's assistant seemed a bit unstable, maybe that's why she just 'blew it all up' (including herself). Ronan seemed to understand fusing it to his hammer (a symbol of his own power) but it could do a lot more than that. So, the upper limit of the gem is determined by the person who holds it (demonstrated many times in the comics). As far as I know, the assistant shouldn't have just blown up and Quill shouldn't have been in danger of that either. Maybe she turned into energy? Maybe she blew up. The gems are a lot to handle and not for just any old Joe to grab on to:

The Power Gem "Accesses all power and energy that ever has or will exist, and can boost the other gems' effects. Allows the user to duplicate almost any physical superhuman ability and grants Omnipotence." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_Gems#Description

So, Quill survived the gem with friendship and whatever. But, the Nova chief thought 'there must be something more to him' and looked into the medical records. She saw half alien genes and said 'that's why a skeevy human survived the power gem'. Racism. [I actually think they were just bookending the movie with father teasers, but the way they did it looks like racism.]

I post because I care.

Even if that's the explanation, it's sloppy and confusing as executed in the film. And all that stuff is just so unnecessary, we've seen them working together as a great team and helping eachother already, we don't need a contrived, fake-looking cgi lightshow to prove it. The movie should've quit while it was ahead, especially with the Groot scene being the emotional climax for the movie already.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Agreed.

I kind of like the idea of shooting Ronan, the gem falls, shoot Ronan 5 more times while laughing maniacally, and Quill carefully scoops the gem into an orb.

I forgive the unnecessary CGI ending bit because of the awesome, unconventional distraction prior and the lack of a generic fistfight ending.

I post because I care.

Well here's what we made of it: http://www.extendededition.net/072-guardians-galaxy/

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Fun podcast, Faldor!

Also, thank god someone called out Tom regarding accent criticism. BTW: "The Norwegian with a sleek american accent". As an American, Tom's accent is confusing within seconds of hearing it. Maybe ask Tom to edit the page to: "The Norwegian with a sleek American-ish accent".  smile

I post because I care.

Well, here's my thing — on the one hand, yeah, Tom's American accent would probably be noticed in a crowd of Americans, given the right circumstances. It's close, but there's an uncanny valley thing. On the other hand, Tom's grasp of language in general intimidates the fuck out of me. Two languages (three?) and call-it-95% accuracy in god knows how many dialects — the dude's a freak.

So.

I don't mock our man Tom, nor do I really like him. I just side-eye him uncomfortably from across the internet.

That's my solution for a lot of you people, actually.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I'd like to hear your Norwegian, Jp12x  wink

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My Norwegian sounds just like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmOdI80sC5U

In all seriousness, I guess I'm just not into people doing accents. It bugs me when I notice and everyone slips up from time-to-time. Even John Barrowman's American accent slips into something odd sometimes. If one must attempt an American accent, I think the key is to try to practice a very specific local accent, as no one speaks 'Standard American', 'Standard Southern', etc so it always sounds odd. Even then, you'll be lacking regional vocabulary and won't know how to pronounce words you haven't heard. Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQqozmwlE00

Most of all, Norwegian is a cool accent. Why change?

Last edited by Jp12x (2014-09-13 04:47:22)

I post because I care.

http://youtu.be/ZTxmDV_njsc?t=4m42s

Specifically at 4 minutes 42 seconds and to the end...

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down