Topic: Apple.

Guttedsad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Apple.

Jobs is the soul of Apple. Two years from now, it will be like any other soulless corporation: putting out awkward, clunky hardware with software designed by engineers without regard for user experience.

And then this will come true....

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

It depends. On the one hand, we have seen a Jobs-less Apple before and it wasn't all that bad. The main problems were too many models that aren't that different, as you now see on the Windows side, and lots of great new software ideas that they couldn't pull together. I mean, the entire IDEA of OpenDoc is brilliant, and let's not forget the Newton that invented the PDA. We also will have to wait and see if Jobs has put the pieces in place to keep things going in the right direction.

On the other hand, we saw how all of Disney's big plans were abandoned after he died (oh, EPCOT, what you could have been...)

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1984 - Macintosh
1985 - Apple ousts Jobs to stop his forays into expensive new products
1986 - Jobs turns Lucasfilm's Graphics Group into Pixar
1990 - Jobs remakes Pixar into Lasseter's animation studio
1990s - Mac declines; multiple failures with other products
1995 - Toy Story
1996 - Apple, nearly bankrupt, rehires Jobs
1998 - iMac
2001 - Apple Store and iPod
2003 - iTunes
2007 - iPhone
2010 - iPad
2011 - Apple is the most valuable consumer-facing brand in the world; Jobs leaves
2012 - Ice Age

I am firmly a PC, to the point where sometimes I really wonder how rational human beings can defend the purchase of a Macintosh computer.

That said, Jobs has always struck me as a good guy and he's definitely given us more awesome than suck here on earth (as Zarban handily pointed out).  I don't own an iPad or an iPod or an iPhone to worry about the future of, so I'm mostly just happy to see him take some of that weight off his shoulders.  Upon his health, I will refrain from commenting, but in a perfect world Steve deserves to enjoy long and happy retirement.

When.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Either he's about to pass away, or the new iPhone sucks so bad he doesn't want to be associated with it. And I'm betting it's not the latter.

I think we need to start preparing ourselves for a world without Steve Jobs in it. Not that we haven't been doing that ever since he was diagnosed with cancer, but still. I'm a PC guy myself, but I'm very happy with my iPod. Jobs clearly knows what he's doing when it comes to product, and it'll be a sad day when he goes.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If it is indeed to be his exit, then it would be hard to argue that it won't be a classy and in some ways triumphant one.  There are far worse circumstances under which to take your bow.

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm a mac. Very much so. However, past events involving a power surge and a broken screen have left me with no choice but to use a PC the last year. It's just too pricey for me right now, but I suppose it won't take long until I get a new one.

However, the retirement of Jobs really isn't that bad. Aside from the Keynotes, Jobs hasn't really been THE guy. He's the soul of Apple, and the one person people associate it with, but as far as actual managing goes, Tim Cook(new CEO) has been the guy for years. He's the head of the macintosh section, as well as the international sales rep, so I don't think Apple's going anywhere for a long time, nor will the products get worse, as Jonny Ive is still the lead designer. I think we're safe tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And, given Apple is one of the few companies that plan long term projects, it would probably be half a decade before we saw real post-Jobs products.

(It wouldn't surprise me at all if, when Jobs came back to Apple, first thing he said was, "I want to make a tablet. What do we have to learn to do right before we can do that, and what products can those steps be made into to test them and get the public ready?" This would have given us iPods [form factor and controls], iTunes [syncing], Airport [wireless], iMac [computer behind a monitor],and iPhone [touchscreen])

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban, three years ago, wrote:

Jobs is the soul of Apple. Two years from now, it will be like any other soulless corporation: putting out awkward, clunky hardware with software designed by engineers without regard for user experience.

Prophet or charlatan? Are iPhone 6 and 6 Plus innovative or imitative of competitors? Is iWatch a fresh twist on portable technology or a bizarre reworking of a piece of dying culture?

I'm not saying they're bad products. I'm planning on getting the iPhone 6 right away. (I broke my iPhone 5 screen last week, and nice devices are all that keep me from looking like a hobo.) I'm just wondering if Apple is now fully fallen from its position of leader in innovation.

Last edited by Zarban (2014-09-10 03:48:05)

Zarban wrote:
Zarban, three years ago, wrote:

Prophet or charlatan? Are iPhone 6 and 6 Plus innovative or imitative of competitors? Is iWatch a fresh twist on portable technology or a bizarre reworking of a piece of dying culture?

I'm not saying they're bad products. I'm planning on getting the iPhone 6 right away. (I broke my iPhone 5 screen last week, and nice devices are all that keep me from looking like a hobo.) I'm just wondering if Apple is now fully fallen from its position of leader in innovation.

No clue how the Watch will work out, but WWDC this year definitely restored a lot of hope in Apple for me. As an aspiring developer, I love the direction they're going in that regard.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

As someone who glances at my phone with annoying frequency, the Watch is actually a cool concept. Just not $350-cool.

Thing about Apple is they've never actually been in the lead -- at their best, they've had a great nose for which way the wind is blowing and have managed to envision the really strong, next-gen implementation of an idea. They don't come up with the idea themselves -- they didn't come up with tablets, or wearables, or a digital wallet -- but they've always figured out the most solid, straightforward way to bring it to the masses.

EDIT: Then again, it's hard to argue with this.

Last edited by Dorkman (2014-09-10 08:05:10)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I like what the iWatch does, though I like it for basically the same reasons I like the other half-dozen smartwatches that do the same thing. Just as in those cases, I'm not looking to spend that kind of money on what amounts to a minor peripheral for my phone with some fitness upgrades.

It seems like most of these companies are basically thinking "let's shrink a phone to watch-size, then solve the input issues", which just isn't really doing it for me. The more I thought about it after the event, the more I realized that it would have been a better idea for them to take a step back and really think about what you can and would want to do with a device on your wrist.

There's a lot of overlap, to be sure, but I think starting from scratch without the idea of what a smartphone already does (and looking at the Watch as a standalone item) could really open the door on some creative ideas.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I spent a week using a Samsung Gear 2, paired with an S5. It was cool, and I didn't want to part with it, as I only had to look at my wrist every time my pocket vibrated, but I don't miss it. I REALLY wanted Apple to release a watch that made me go "OHMYGOGUYSTHISISTHEBESTTHINGEVER!", but I'm not at all interested in it. Not only does it do nothing new, or in an intuitive and Jobs-y way, it's way, way too expensive.

As for the iPhone 6; I've been craving a bigger display and iOS for awhile now, but I'm not entirely sold on it,. 4,7" isn't the worst, but the plus version is far too big.

But then again, this is Apple, after all. They'll probably prove me wrong the second I test one in real life.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I really wish I could see the Steve Jobs version of the Apple Watch. I'm sure it would be nothing like the current one.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

It also might never exist smile The fact the Watch project started after his death could mean it was one of those ideas he had no interest in but which now became possible. One aspect of a company with a strong visionary leader is it tends to stick to that one person's vision. We need more than one company tossing lots of money into R&D, to vary what we get, but at the moment in this area it's only Apple.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

but at the moment in this area it's only Apple.

I may be misinterpreting that, but in the last year-or-so, I have been more impressed by things Motorola has put out than Apple.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks