• The Sound of Young America

• Film Score Monthly

• Pandora Presents...the Musicology Show

Currently trying out:

• Titanium Physicists

• FPGeeks

Re: Your other go-to podcasts...

Some of my favourites:

Double Feature Show: Two guys watch two movies each week, and then talk about them, what they felt was interesting, notable, etc. 3-4 years running. About 45 mins /episode.

Skeptoid: Huge archive on all topics science and skepticism. Excellently researched and presented. 10-15 mins/episode.

The Comedy Button: 5 guys formerly of Gamespy Debriefings podcast spend an hour each week recording random conversations, reading email they got, just casual chatting. They also have so far made 4 commentaries that can be played along with the movies. I'd highly recommend listening to their commentary of Home Alone 2, a personal favourite of mine as far as commentaries go, think Rifftrax without a script, and a few too many beers. Their Turtles 2: Secret of the Ooze is also a good one. 60-ish mins/episode.

Last edited by TechNoir (2012-11-22 16:20:43)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

TechNoir wrote:

The Comedy Button: 5 guys formerly of Gamespy Debriefings podcast ... have so far made 4 commentaries.

Okay, people, you have to tell me these things. Throw me a frickin' bone here!

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Eddie wrote:

Joe Rogan Experience

I sometimes dip into JRE, but I totally skip them if he's bringing in his stand up buddy's. The last one with Neil deGrasse Tyson was just amazing from beginning to end, all two hours and thirty minutes of it. To all you space nerds out there: Run, don't walk to your download point of choice smile

I've also been listening to STILL UNTITLED: THE ADAM SAVAGE PROJECT and found it pretty entertaining and informative.

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Now seriously Ash!? I'm trying to have a frickin life o'er here! C'me on!

Sigh...I'll be back in a couple days.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Joe is an old buddy of mine, and yeah, I love Joey Diaz and Ari, but I tend to go to his episodes with ACTUAL guests first.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've been listening to a lot of the Nerdist Podcast recently and I count myself a fan. Some great guests and I'm always delightfully surprised at how nice and cool the guests are, from the obvious ones like Nathan Fillion and Marh Hamil to Zachery Levi and Michael Rooker.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I listen to a podcast called "Science... sort of" when they update, which is not always a set time.
Just because I am a science person and I liked their Jurassic park commentary. 

and also polycast, a Civilization (the game) related podcast every so often.

besides that, I've just never been able to find one I listen to with great regularity, or kept listening to.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just started listening to the Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith. It's good, and I love the range of guests, but his questions annoy me a little. Most of his questions seem to be fishing for IMDb trivia. His interview with the writers of Wreck-It Ralph was little more than him pressuring them for details about how early drafts were different. Now, I love that sort of stuff, but when your podcast professes to be about the art of storytelling, you should be trying a little harder. That said, it's a good listen.

I'm also getting back into Filmspotting. I took a break from them for a while. Not sure why, but I just needed some time away. I've been listening for coming up on six years now, so I dunno. Anyway, they're in top form as usual. New host Josh Larsen is no Matty Robinson, but he'll do in a pinch. Far more entertaining is their spinoff podcast, Filmspotting SVU (Streaming Video Unit), which talks exclusively about movies that are available on various VOD services like On Demand and Netflix. The hosts are Matt Singer and Allison Willmore, two of my favorite critics, and they've got great chemistry. Their banter is reminiscent of Adam and Matty of Filmspotting Prime in their glory days. Also, their show's premise frees them up a lot when it comes to movie selection, and it's easier to watch along with them.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm right with you on Filmspotting and Filmspotting SVU, altho I'm not quite ready to go back to Original Recipe yet. By the way, Matt Singer did some very funny commentaries as one half of the late, lamented Gymkommentary.

Search for Marc Fennell - that movie guy. 2 minute movie reviews - sharp, witty, also heard on local radio here.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Roderick on the Line is one of the best things in the universe.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I can't get no love. sad

Here's what I listen to while waiting for DiF:

Slashfilmcast
The B-Movies Podcast
Nerdist Podcast
How Did This Get Made?
The Mind Robbers (although, I may be dropping it soon. The hosts are sometimes mean, egotistical and lacking in crucial knowledge about their given subjects)
Potentialcast and Redemptioncast
Fatman On Batman, Smodcast and Hollywood Babble-On

Thumbs up Thumbs down

johnpavlich wrote:

I can't get no love. sad

Aww, dude, you know I listen to your show but I included Sofa Dogs in my last line as I only listen to the commentaries of films I've seen. My amended list-

Film Sack
The Morning Stream
Autopilot
How Did This Get Made?
The Flop House (liking this better than HDTGM these days)
The Empire Magazine Podcast
Mark Kermode Film Podacst
BBC Radio 4 Friday Night Comedy
Welcome to That Whole Thing
Sofa Dogs (if it's a film I've seen)
Nerd Fight
Nerdist and Writer's Panel (if the subject appeals to me)
Afterbuzz Tv (various shows)

Various comms on Zarban if it's a film that interests me,

Last edited by Jimmy B (2013-02-08 06:36:01)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll put this here, because I would have loved for someone to point me to it. I discovered the iCatcher podcast app for the iPad a couple of days ago, and it has just blown me away. It cost 2 bucks and has EVERYTHING I've always wanted in a podcast utility.

Stream or download audio and video podcasts. Delete after listening. Set and remember playback speed  BY PODCAST (.75x, 1x, 1.25x, 1.5x, and 2x, and quite good quality). Set multiple custom hop back and forward values (button vs swipes). Set a sleep timer. Create playlists. Set priority for download. AND ABOUT A HUNDRED OTHER SETTINGS.

I love this app so much, I'm now likely to completely replace my trusty old Cowon J3, which is sleek and simple and has the rare ability to adjust playback speed and EQ, and also delete files. I may get an iPod and combine it's portability with iCatcher's.

The sort of related thing that I'm ecstatic about is McTube Pro ($7). You can find and download YouTube videos for later viewing. This allows me to cache episodes of QI, Jay Leno's Garage, and other video series for viewing while traveling, and I couldn't be happier.

+1 for Neil de Grasse Tyson's show. I'll have to check out his appearance on the Joe Rogan show. I've actually been looking for another good skeptic-y/science-y podcast to which I can subscribe.

Also +1 for Jeff Goldsmith's "The Q & A," a great interview show for those interested in screenwriting an moviemaking. His Bobcat Goldthwait episode is a must-listen. (Goldthwait resented Goldsmith's opening question about an early, shitty movie, and so Bobcat derailed the interview with Andy-Kaufman-type antics. Personally, I thought Bobcat overreacted and made an ass of himself; his behavior would have been funny for 3-5 minutes, but not the duration of the interview, which was before a live audience. Buy yeah, it's a fascinating episode just interms of human behavior.)

DiF and Filmspotting really are the only ones I make sure to listen to as soon as they're posted. And yeah, Zarban's site is a goldmine.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Reviving this super-old thread to mention an absolutely fantastic episode of the Hollywood Gauntlet looking at where people thought the movie industry would go 25 years ago, where it has gone, and where it's going.
http://hollywood-gauntlet.blogspot.com/ … ovies.html

These guys do some of the most well-produced and polished podcasts on the internet, it's akin to a 3.5 hour mammoth NPR episode on movies. They only release a few episodes a year, but the quality is the best you're going to find on the subject.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've really gotten into Startup.  The first episode is stunning.  Check it out at hear startup.com

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Off my podcast app:

All of Whine and Space - A couple of average British guys talking Doctor Who, movies, etc. They typically are commentaries. Sexual comments are not uncommon. So, NSFW? Maybe.
Caustic Soda - Friends of Horsetrack Hooligans. A structured show with knowledgeable guests. Episodes cover pretty grim topics.
Extended Edition - Um, is Jimmy reading this? Yeah! Extended edition!
Film Sack - A fairly organized discussion of movies and tv. Sometimes they do commentaries.
Horsetrack Hooligans - Three Canadians: a plumber, and IT guy, and a painter talk about stuff.
How Did This Get Made - You must have heard of this by now. Great fun.
MMM Commentaries - Commentaries for James Bond, Doctor Who, Game of Thrones and the like. Australians. I've been hooked since they reasoned that Littlefinger didn't own the dagger.
Motley Fool - Financial podcast. I listen only occasionally.
NPR Wait Wait don't tell me - Radio game show in podcast form. Great guests.
KFBK Garden Show - My Local station 2 hour garden show in podcast form.
Tysto - You know Tysto. His US President-related commentaries demonstrate his knowledge of the White House. He tries to avoid it but he is also a real car nut and lets slip car trivia sometimes. Tysto has VERY mainstream tastes. So, you can listen to his commentary to see what an average moviegoer is thinking about a movie. His 'sight unseen' commentaries are even more revealing.

I post because I care.
  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
"Feel free to flame me. I don't like Legends of Korra or Gravity, either."

I recently discovered "Film Sack" which reminds me a bit of WAYDM without the full length commentaries, but a review. They occasionally do full length commentaries, but it is not standard. Their content  is largely based upon B films, or films that have not been positively received, or odd ball opinions on popular films. Rather fun in my opinion.

Still experimenting with other podcasts but Film Sack is the only "go to" one for films beyond FIYH. Been enjoying a lot sports and political podcast/radio too.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've been getting back into podcasts with the advent of a great app for iPhone called Overcast that works WAY WAY better than the built-in iOS one that put me off, and has a bunch of cool playback settings like "Smart Speed" which shortens silences without changing the actual playback speed otherwise. (Highly recommended.) Having a renewed interest, I'm grateful to this thread for turning me on to some of them.

I've got a bunch in my list I have yet to even really get to, but the standouts to me have been:

Welcome to Night Vale - Haven't seen this mentioned here -- which is surprising considering how much I heard about it prior to listening. A fun ongoing story in the style of community radio updates of the local goings on of a fictional desert town where, in the words of the creator, "All conspiracy theories are true - and we go from there." It's surreal, Lovecraftian, funny and scary and often heartfelt all at once. I got hooked in the first few episodes and plowed through the rest of them straight through, and now await each new biweekly episode with semi-patience.

How Did This Get Made - I'll throw in my love for this one as well. I appreciate this show not just because it's funny, but because they approach movies the same way we do -- taking them on their own terms as much as possible, while still being critical and more than happy to mock away. Sometimes they're frustrating because they get hung up on a point of contention that's actually a result of them misunderstanding something in the film, but of course our listeners would be quick to point out that's also approaching movies the same way we do. wink I'm about halfway through the backlog and the only complaint I've got is that the sponsored ad breaks are a bit annoying and becoming lengthier as the show goes on, but a few taps of the "jump forward 15 seconds" button make quick work of them. The only episode I couldn't listen to was 88 MINUTES, because their guest host Pete Holmes was WAY too manic and obnoxious.

We Have Concerns - a fairly new podcast by a couple of guys I guess are probably known in certain circles (gaming, I get the impression) but are new to me, they talk about new science/technology news from a pros-cons perspective -- though, despite the impression you might get from the name, it's often mostly pros. They're extremely positive, upbeat, witty guys who you can tell just have fun talking to each other, and that makes it fun to listen to. I laugh aloud every episode. I liked them so much I jumped on board to support them on Patreon, and if you give them a listen I think there's a good chance you'll do the same.

Tons more I'm planning to get to, but those are the ones that are consistent must-listens for me as of the last few months.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jp12x wrote:

Off my podcast app:
Extended Edition - Um, is Jimmy reading this?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m11frv6TEd1r99f4t.gif

fireproof78 wrote:

I recently discovered "Film Sack"

Yeah, I've been a fan of podcasts from Frogpants Studios for a while now, Scott Johnson is a really nice dude.

Last edited by Jimmy B (2014-09-13 14:34:46)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I started We Have Concerns on Dorkman's recommendation and it's already one of my faves.

Also been listening to Comedy Bang Bang and Fighting In The War Room.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MY full list all annotated and what not.

StartUp: Alex Bloomberg is a podcast producer most known for his work on This American Life and Planet Money.  He's on his own now, with an idea to start a new business of a podcast network.  This podcast is essentially his making of, as he chronicles the many, many, MANY pitfalls he encounters.  It's brutallly honest and Alex never once pulls a punch on himself.  It's so cringeworthy at times, it's almost LOUIS like.  Als, he utilizes this same approach for his first, and so far only, show sponsor.  Great fun, and an interesting snapshot of what owning a business in the 21st century is like.

Who Charted?:  Teague and I got to go to Earwolf studios (where they record CBB!, HDTGM, and Sklarboro Country) to interview Kulap about her film.  This is her podcast where she and her cohost interview people, using that weeks top 5 charts (in music, movies, whatever) as a framework to chat with folks.  It's a mixed bag sometimes, but when it works, it works well.

The Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith:  Y'all seem to know this one.

Scriptnotes: Same as above.

Nerdist Writers Panel: Samsies.  Worth it just for the episode they did on Nielson.

Born Yesterday: Love this one.  Possibly more than Hardcore History.  Joey Brunelle examines little, quirky, oft forgotten tales from history and presents it with the right amount of snark.

How Did This Get Made: Favorite episode is EASILY No Holds Barred.

KCRW's Good Food  KCRW is the Los Angeles NPR station and they have a ton of great shows that they convert into podcast form.  This is a food centric show hosted by Evan Kleinman that covers everything in the culinary world.  They've been on a roll lately, with some fascinating stories on Roy Choi, Ben Ford (Chef son of Harrison), and a whole episode about awesome food centric Kickstarter campaigns.

Welcome to Night Vale: I got into it about 6 months ago and am almost fully caught up.  Cosplayer Holly Conrad has been on a huge Night Vale cosplay kick lately, playing both Fem Cecil, and the mysterious Glow Cloud.

Hardcore History:  Dan finally uploaded his most recent WWI episode and it's a doozy.  Great stuff here.

The Moth: If you don't know, you should.  Hourlong storytelling cast.  Always uneven but when something's good, it sticks.

This American Life: Duh.

Broken Projector Podcast: Friend of the show Geoff LaTullippe and Scott M Begs from Film School Rejects do an awesome Film/TV Industry podcast and always have unique guests on.  If you want to be a writer, I recommend this one.

The Treatment: Elvis Mitchell interview show, about the world of Film and TV.  I've actually been trying to model my interview style somewhat after his.

The Business: Film TV Industry weekly news show from KCRW.  Darby Maloney is a great host and it's a tight half hour.

Total Human Optimization: If you follow me on Twitter or Facebook, you know I'm a huge fan of ONNIT, an alt fitness/supplement company that's all about lifestyle that leads to health and balance over meathead bro-lifting.  THeir podcast has some big names in the fitness/nutrition world, and they do a good job of avoiding being a total shill for their products.

WTF: We all know this one, right?

The Art of Wrestling, with Colt Cabana: Colt Cabana is an indie wrestler and each week he has someone on from that world.  Some fascinating stories here.  It's often compared to the WTF of Pro Wrestling (and Maron has actually had Cabana on) and even if you're not into Wrestling, the stories are usually pretty compelling on their own.

Friends in Your Head: You probably haven't heard of it.s

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jimmy B wrote:
Jp12x wrote:

Off my podcast app:
Extended Edition - Um, is Jimmy reading this?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m11frv6TEd1r99f4t.gif

fireproof78 wrote:

I recently discovered "Film Sack"

Yeah, I've been a fan of podcasts from Frogpants Studios for a while now, Scott Johnson is a really nice dude.

Also, Scott Johnson is an extremely busy dude, at least on the internet. Frogpants Studios has something like 6 podcasts, I think, and Johnson is a part of at least 3, if not more of them. But, I do want to go to "Nerdtacular" which he keeps referencing in some of his podcasts.

I find him to be very personable, much like the people around here

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down