Topic: Documentality #7 - Autobiographies Pt. 1

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Documentality #7 - Autobiographies Pt. 1

You can find the Indiegogo page for Kulap's film here:  https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/orig … ocumentary

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

WOW this is awesome! Kulap is so great.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Interesting episode. It does not sound like the type of documentary I would ever watch, which says much more about me than anything else. Weirdly, while I have no idea who she is, every mention of something I WAS familiar with made me more invested in her story. OK, you taped this at Earwolf. I listen to one podcast from them, How Did This Get Made. So, that made me pay attention. Then she mentioned two of the hosts of that show are assisting her. Oh! Well, that's interesting! If that had been slipped in up front I would have been even more invested. It's stupid, but probably a part of human nature.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My radar never noted Kulap before, but that's fixed now.
For me the most fascinating part of this episode is how well Eddie connects with strangers: man you have got a gift for empathy and human connection.

Last edited by drewjmore (2014-09-03 20:04:46)

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I assumed they had at least met. Lots of friends of friends in the entertainment biz.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Kulap and I met literally 5 minutes before the interview.  We had exchanged a couple of emails, and that was it.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hey, I've had dates which didn't last that long smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just want to give this a bump to remind folks to consider donating to Kulaps IGG.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

CONGRATS to Kulap and the rest of her team for successfully funding their Inidegogo campaign!  We will be checking in with her periodically for updates.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Was it ever in danger?

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

For a second there it looked like it.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

They were flex funding, so they were going to get whatever it raised, but it's always nice hitting your goal.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mean to comment on this episode before - I keep falling off the grid due work - but this was super fascinating to listen to.  Especially as I was going through a Who Charted listening tear right around the time this premiered, so it was one of those stars aligning things.

I'm not sure I'm overall down with the discussed theme of her doc.  Namely that identity can suddenly change or stagger with the revelation of some stunning piece of information.  That's just not a theme I feel drawn to or especially agree with, but I'm super glad that Kulap is getting the chance to explore this for herself and in a way that she feels artistically right with.  Art is a tricky thing and stories, be it our own or others, sometimes do really call to be told in specific ways.  Good on her for figuring out the way she need to explore/tell this.  I'll likely watch it when it comes together - I really find Kulap charming - and will be interested to see what this work ends up becoming.

And like Eddie said, who knows where the editing process will take the footage and just what story will actually come through.

Thanks for the interview!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down