Re: So, Mike was hit by a car.

Such awful news. I'm speechless. He and his family will continue to be in my thoughts.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

I'm fairly confident that Mike would want everyone to pray at this point.

Or donate.

50/50.

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Get well Mike, your voice is needed in this world!

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Very scary news, really rocks your perspective. Prayers go to Mike and all you guys.

Don't worry Mike, I'll donate too.

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

Thoughts going out for Mike, his family, and everyone out there.  Hopefully we'll hear positive news soon.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Wow, just shocking news.  All of us here will be sending good thoughts his way, and to friends and family as well.  If somehow there's something beyond well-wishes and donating that we can do to help, whatever that might be, don't hesitate to let us know.

Last edited by sellew (2014-10-01 20:19:22)

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Damn.

It's a weird thing, when someone you know well yet have never met has something like this happen. They in all honesty are a stranger, yet are a bigger part of your life than many around you. I remember when the co-host of Skepticality had a brain aneurism, having to learn to talk again, or a local DJ hit a deer with his motorcycle. I wish Mike the best. If there are any particular demonic beings we should be sacrificing things to, let us know.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

I've reached out to a few places to try and help out with the fundraising. Star Wars fan site, Jedi News, just posted this.

Thumbs up +8 Thumbs down

Oh man, how awful... I really do hope he recovers quickly.

My thoughts go out to you all, his relatives and loved ones.

While I don't know Mike, I've known of him and enjoyed stuff he's worked on through here and TFn for years and years now. Seeing Eddie's tweet a few hours ago was a horrible shock and I'm hoping for the best.

Get well soon, Dorkman.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Absolutely gut wrenching news, so sorry to hear. I've never had the privilege of meeting Mike, but I've heard his voice in my head for I don't know how many hours, making me laugh and teaching me things about movies with great insight and intelligence. He seems to be such a strong and energetic person. Get well soon Mike, you matter to a lot of people!!

Buenos Tardis   

Flickr     Letterboxd

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Horrible, horrible news.
What's even worse is that the health care system in the US is horrible enough that the fund goal on the site is an actual realistic number, if not too little.
I've already donated, and encouraged everyone I know to do the same. My brother, having no relation to either FIYH, or even TFn, donated right away. Every little bit helps, and it's important that we all help.

Now I know it's redundant as you've probably all done so by now, but I still feel it's something that should be said.

If there's anything I/we can do, never hesitate to let us know. The members on this forum is probably the best gathering of people there ever was, and I know we'll all do our part, in any way, shape or form should it be asked.

My thoughts go to Michael, hoping for a speedy, full recovery, and I can't wait to hear his voice back on FIYH.

Edit: there are literally 100 members logged on right now. I can't remember ever seeing a number that high on here. We're here for you. All of us.

Last edited by Tomahawk (2014-10-01 22:28:54)

Thumbs up +8 Thumbs down

I've been in the e-mail chain of updates, for which I am very grateful, and though there are many many replies at this point I've only been able to say one thing, to the effect of this being one of the times in my life that I deeply wish I weren't an atheist so I could pray to someone about this.  Beyond that, I've started several replies and never finished them, because I realized it wasn't the proper place to express my feelings, nor did I really have anything meaningful to say.

I'm going to say some things here instead of cluttering up that vital information source.  I don't want to come off as though I'm eulogizing the man, but I'm hurting right now and I just want to talk.

I disagree with Mike about a lot of things, and sometimes we've had heated arguments over them. I've found him to be occasionally rude, dismissive, and a bit haughty.  I also admire him more than almost anyone I've ever encountered in my life.  He's INCREDIBLY witty, talented, funny, and above all his brain works on a level entirely out of my understanding when it comes to the creative process.  I've listened to every episode of this podcast, from the start, and I don't think there's a single one I've listened to only once.  This place is called Friends In Your Head for a reason- I consider every guy on the show to be a real friend in my life, even if those friendships are entirely one sided.  I've been extremely fortunate to have been best friends with one of them and over time I think a couple of the other DIF (yeah I said it) regulars might call me a friend at this point as well.  Point is, I got to meet Mike for the first time during the Malariathon last year, and even though I also got to meet Eddie and Ryan and Miki and a bunch of other great folks for the first time that day too, I have to say that on the entire flight to California and walking into the room I really was most excited to get to hang out with Dorkman for the first time.

Mike's the reason I spent so much time on that goddamn couch.  I'd been up for like 40 hours by the time I got there, and I maneuvered my way on-mic for almost the whole damn thing because it meant getting to sit next to that guy and talk about a mutual interest for hours.  I mean it- I was thrilled to be there for a million reasons, and I love me some Potter, and I was grinning like an idiot just to be on the podcast- but the 100% honest reason I stayed awake for the entire thing and kept nudging my way towards a microphone was because I considered it one of the great opportunities of my life just to get to rap with that guy for a while.  If that makes me a creepy fanboy, fine.  The point is, I could not possibly hold Mike in a higher regard, and I'm gutted that something this objectively fucking unfair could and did just happen to him.

Whether I'm his friend or not, he's my friend, and while there are people hurting a whole hell of a lot more than me about this, I've felt like vomiting all day.  I wish I could end this with some kind of "get well buddy," but to be honest with you, WHEN he pulls through, I'm deleting this post so he doesn't know what a gigantic embarassing heart boner I have for him.  I just needed to say it.

Last edited by Kyle (2014-10-01 22:54:53)

When.

Thumbs up +12 Thumbs down

As soon as I read the post on Facebook I got this horrible empty feeling in my stomach.

If I had the money I would donate.

Get well soon, Mike.

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Owen Ward wrote:

I've reached out to a few places to try and help out with the fundraising. Star Wars fan site, Jedi News, just posted this.

Way to reach out, Owen. That's fantastic!

God loves you!

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Someone just donated $10,000 to the fund. Holy shit.

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Well, I guess their heartboner rivals mine.

When.

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Darth Praxus wrote:

Someone just donated $10,000 to the fund. Holy shit.

The response to the fund has been mind-blowing. Over $30,000 in SIX HOURS. It's a true testament to how important Mike is to so many people.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Hey, Teague or anyone living near Dorkman,

is there a PO box or address that could be showed publicly for sending letters, cards and the like?

I understand that if you don't want it shared so everyone can see, but I would like to be able to send some cheer by mail.

Again, hang in there, guys. We love you!

God loves you!

Thumbs up +5 Thumbs down

Because I can, I posted links in my blog over on Storiesonline.net. So, with luck that will bring in a few donations. I actually mentioned Dorkman in one of my stories, A Leader Born. It was a fun throwaway bit as we were introduced to a character:

The second source of her training was a pair of YouTube videos of some guys fighting with light sabers.

She had watched those two fight over and over. One reason, of course, what that the guy with the glasses was damned cute. He was gay, yes, as she'd found out tracking him down to this movie podcast he did, but she could change that. Shanna had the half-written fanfic to prove it. The other reason she loved those fights was the style. Not so much the actual light saber stuff, but what they did apart from that. The two guys, whenever there was an opening, would punch and kick each other. The idea wasn't to score style points, it was to beat the other guy however possible. Punch them in the kidney, kick them in the knee, whatever. Just win.

Before the green guy could react to her block of its attack, Shanna kicked her foot out, catching him in the leg. She jumped back.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

Keeping Mike you all and his family in my thoughts. Stay strong man.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Like a lot of people here, I'm just kind of... stunned and teary.

I knew Mike online first and then met IRL a few years back. I... just really liked him from the get-go and enjoyed shooting the shit with him.

Get well, Mike. Now more than ever I want to make stupid jokes with you and get outraged about something on the Internet.

Maggie

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Keep fighting for it, Mike.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Terrible news.  I wish him a quick and full recovery.

Hang in there man

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

I've never met Mike in person but he's been a figure in my life online for a dozen years. My thoughts go out to him, and his family and friends by his side.

I shared the campaign on my Facebook feed, a friend of mine who's a YouTube personality reposted it, so hopefully that helps out too.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.