"Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls
Would scarcely get your feet wet"  'Deteriorata' - National Lampoon

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Re: Last movie you watched

Squiggly_P wrote:

Text

Wow, that sounds and looks horrible. Glad it ended up being hilariously bad and not just bad. They probably spent more money on the poster than the actual film. It's fitting that they mention 007 by name in the trailer, since the poster does actually look like the poster of a Bond movie:

- Bond
- Car
- Helicopters
- Bond girl
- Gun sight

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

Yeah, the poster was something I didn't get around to, cause it was already quite the wall of text. The only thing on the poster that's actually in the movie is the guy. There are no ladies that look that pretty in it. The women in this movie all look like they're doing the movie because Beckner's got their next fix and won't let them have it until they shoot their scene. The only car chase is the one you see in the trailer. The only helicopter is the one they used to get all of that city stock footage.

Haha, even better. They should have just taken the poster for Goldeneye and just photoshopped Beckners face on top of Brosnans.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-rk5dOUkeaZc/UG6vgEH31HI/AAAAAAAAISw/89-0ocBXzpo/s1600/GoldenEye_%2528MGM%252C_1995%2529_b_One_Sheet.jpeg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0e/Last_Days_on_Mars_Poster.jpg

Another underwhelming Mars movie.

SPOILER Show
Zombies in space... again? It's basically Apollo 18 without the "found footage" gimmick.

Every space nerd is familiar with the "Martian Curse" that screws with our probes sent to the Red Planet. It seems to affect movies as well.

My list of unsatisfying Mars movies so far was comprised of Rocketship X-M, Robinson Crusoe On Mars, My Favorite Martian, Mission To Mars, Red Planet, Ghosts Of Mars, Doom and John Carter. The Last Days On Mars is the latest addition.

The only ones I can wholeheartedly recommend are Total Recall and Watchmen (and Babylon 5, if we count TV shows). Is it just me? Am I being a whiny Mars hipster?

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What about Rocketman?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XeZA56lsxWM/Tb2Pw7mFB5I/AAAAAAAAKFo/HC9qHLdn81I/s800/Rocketman%2B%25281997%2529.jpg

A movie that I thoroughly enjoyed as a kid and tried to re-watch a couple of years ago. Couldn't do it, I'll have to be in a specific mindset for this sort of thing. Not gonna make a definitive call on it one way or another until I do, though.

Last edited by Boter (2014-09-23 00:53:42)

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Boter wrote:

What about Rocketman?

I'm not familiar with that one. It has a weird Rotten Tomatoes score (72% of moviegoers, but only 24% of critics), so maybe there's something to it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I make no promises to an adult seeing it for the first time.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Rocketman is hilarious and don't try to tell my nostalgia otherwise.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Boter wrote:

What about Rocketman?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XeZA56lsxWM/Tb2Pw7mFB5I/AAAAAAAAKFo/HC9qHLdn81I/s800/Rocketman%2B%25281997%2529.jpg

A movie that I thoroughly enjoyed as a kid and tried to re-watch a couple of years ago. Couldn't do it, I'll have to be in a specific mindset for this sort of thing. Not gonna make a definitive call on it one way or another until I do, though.

That Ebert pull-quote seems less like an endorsement and more like a description.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Sam F wrote:

Rocketman is hilarious and don't try to tell my nostalgia otherwise.

Yep. Find it hilarious to this day, and quite enjoyable.

But, that's just me.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I kind of liked Mars Needs Moms. They make some interesting choices if I recall correctly.

Wiki says "The film was a commercial and critical flop, and is the second biggest box office bomb in history, grossing less than $39 million on a budget of $150 million." That alone ought to make you curious.

I post because I care.
  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
"Feel free to flame me. I don't like Legends of Korra or Gravity, either."

Squiggly_P wrote:

Have you seen "Mars Needs Moms"?

Not yet.

Jp12x wrote:

Wiki says "The film was a commercial and critical flop, and is the second biggest box office bomb in history, grossing less than $39 million on a budget of $150 million." That alone ought to make you curious.

It does. A huge bomb is always intriguing.

In the meantime, I watched
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a1/The_Adventures_of_Tintin_-_Secret_of_the_Unicorn.jpg

Indiana Jones meets Pirates Of The Caribbean. A fun, old-style adventure movie that combines humor and action. Thumbs up.

It made me think that Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull could've worked a little better as an animated movie.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Marty J wrote:

It made me think that Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull could've worked a little better as an animated movie.

Obvious joke is obvious, so I'll make it anyways.

You mean it wasn't an animated movie?

*bows* Thank you ladies and gentlemen.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

You mean it wasn't an animated movie?

Well... for the most part, it was big_smile That's why replacing the actors with CGI would make the cartoony action sequences less objectionable.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I believe it was the failure of 'Mars Needs Moms' that lead to John Carter being retitled to be less 'Of Mars'

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Faldor wrote:

I believe it was the failure of 'Mars Needs Moms' that lead to John Carter being retitled to be less 'Of Mars'

That's mentioned in the WAYDM commentary for John Carter.

(The Disney guys obsessed about the title instead of cutting back the huge budget. Allocating $250 million to a franchise nobody remembered seems like an obvious mistake, but the repeated it with The Lone Ranger.)

Last edited by MartyJ (2014-09-23 16:26:05)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Aha! One day I might actually watch the film then listen to the commentary!

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Faldor wrote:

Aha! One day I might actually watch the film then listen to the commentary!

That's a thing? wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Remember when Ridley Scott used to be good?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8e/Matchstick_Men.jpg

A modern version of Paper Moon with a good twist ending. Pretty solid. Nic Cage delivers an impressive performance as the Adrian Monk of con artists (his famous "pissed blood" meme comes from this movie).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There are many problems with Sabotage, which is a giant piece of shit of a movie, but Arnold isn't really to blame. It's just a terrible, terrible script, with aggressively unpleasant to watch characters, and bored, lazy filmmaking. You could throw DeNiro in the role and it would still be terrible (see Righteous Kill)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gone Girl is fucking DARK you guys. Fincher you lovable nihilist. Jesus.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Loved Gone Girl. Affleck is suspiciously good at doing the handsome-doofus-with-something-to-hide thing. The supporting players stole the show for me--particularly Carrie Coon and Kim Dickinson. Tyler-fucking-Perry nails it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gone Girl was just so fantastic. Pitch black, hysterical, with the usual Fincher craft and expert performances everywhere. And having not read the book it was full of great surprises. Not at all the movie the trailers sold me, but in the best way possible.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ya, I honestly need to sit with it for a few days before I can really decide how I feel about it.

On the one hand, it's a hilarious black comedy (didn't expect that), with awesome performances from everyone (Who knew Tyler Perry could be this great?), expertly directed, looks and sounds great, that might be one of the strongest Fincher movies thematically.

On the other hand, the 3rd act is so batshit crazy, that I have to wonder why Fincher keeps coming back to such weak source material. Could he tackle these themes in a plot that wasn't this ridiculous and wildly implausible?

My gut feeling is this is definitely one of the lower tier Fincher entries for me, better than The Game and Panic Room, worse than Dragon Tattoo (which itself is a middle entry). Then again, I enjoyed the hell out of it, so maybe it'll move up on a rewatch.

Last edited by bullet3 (2014-10-04 18:17:32)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://bijou-cinemas.com/bijouartcinemas/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/drthedrop-banner.jpg

I haven't seen anyone talking about The Drop. The Drop was great. Gandolfini, Rapace--Tom Hardy in a tightrope performance. I kind of feel like this is what Affleck and Renner wanted The Town to be, but they Afflecked it all up.

Terrible title, tho. I'll say that.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries