Re: Last movie you watched

My double feature for the weekend was Oculus, because I love Karen Gillan and the director's previous film, Absentia, showed some promise before it became idiotic, and Spice World because... morbid curiosity and it was on Netflix Instant. I kind of hate myself for how much I enjoyed both of them. Oculus was a really solid modern horror film that wasn't found footage or riddled with jump scares and had a very good cast. Spice World was... dumb as fuck, but with a surprising amount of clever dialogue, a charming self-awareness of exactly what it is, and a bizarrely strong supporting cast. Plus the Spice Girls songs were kept to a minimum.

Last edited by C-Spin (2014-10-06 16:58:28)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://i.imgur.com/4ZLiJHr.png

So, two disclaimers:
1) I love Dan Harmon and I love Harmontown. I went to Toronto to view a screening of this, and watched them tape the Harmontown podcast live, so, obviously I have some bias.
2) Dan executive produced this, and while it would be very easy for him to have a say in how he is portrayed, he wanted the filmmaker to make something honest, and so his only input was on the movie's structure (he's obsessed with Joseph Campbell and narrative).

I'm finding this difficult to phrase, but I'll do my best.

I thought this was a wonderful documentary. Dan is overwhelmingly, recklessly honest, especially about himself. On the surface, this is a documentary about Dan Harmon, and it follows him and his good friend Jeff Davis, his girlfriend Erin, and their Dungeon-Master Spencer, on the Harmontown tour they did last year.
It's very (very) funny, but at the core of it, this is a documentary about a man who hates himself but doesn't want to. Maybe you only know him as the creator of Community, maybe you only know him from articles written by hit-whoring assholes from TMZ and other such rags, or maybe you don't know about him at all. But the film shows the full-spectrum of who Dan is. You'll laugh, you'll shake your head in disapproval,  you'll feel pity, you might even cry.
Dan Harmon says that a Harmenian is a "loving nerd". And a big part of the film is watching people who feel like outsiders, being accepted and being connected to. There's a genuine beauty to it. Dan wants to change, and doesn't want to hate himself, but doesn't think he can, and the verdict may or may not be out on that*, but at the very least there's something really optimistic and hopeful when you see the joy that Dan brings to all these people in all these cities.
So, yeah. If you watch it as an on-tour documentary, it's funny and sad and interesting, and very watchable. And if you're watching it as a character study about Dan and the effect he has on his fans, it's beautiful. (And for me, emotionally cathartic, but like I say, I'm biased).
Either way, well recommended.

*After the screening, we all went to the pub. I got some time with Dan and I asked him, after going on tour and connecting with so many people, and having gotten an objective view of himself from the documentary, if he was finding it easier to accept other people's love (I agree with Bruce Lee that "To know oneself is to study oneself in action with another person"). He thought about it for a second, and admitted to himself that, yes, it is getting easier for him. (Then I told him that I love him and we hugged. It was beautiful).

Supplementary note: I got Dan to sign a birthday card for a friend, and we hugged and had a photo taken. And I bought him a pint! I'd gotten everything I'd needed from the evening, and I could have left feeling completely satisfied. But I stuck around for another hour until he had to get back to the tour bus, and just watched him interact with all the people who wanted to get an autograph or a photo or just to connect with him. I think it was the most joyful experience of my life. Watching Dan connect with people, and seeing the effect he has on them and that they have on him, is like watching people opening their christmas presents, and getting exactly what they needed. (I think I added this last note 'cause I feel really defensive about the way he's often portrayed by the media, so if you do decide to watch the documentary, you're open-minded to seeing the good in him.)

Last edited by Herc (2014-10-07 03:37:46)

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Cool, Herc! I watched the doc last night and very much enjoyed it. I almost lost it at the pre-show voice exercises. "PED-O-PHI-LI-A IS AN OP-TION IF YOU HAVE THE GUMP-TION."

I'm a big Community fan and listen to Harmontown here and there, so before viewing I already felt like I knew Dan, in a way. I'm curious as to what people who are new to his world think of the film. I have a feeling that people unfamiliar with Harmon won't find it particularly compelling as far as documentaries go, but I could be wrong. The narrative felt kind of all over the place, but I didn't care because I knew what I was in for and, as you said, it's very watchable.

I can't say I'm in love with Dan Harmon. His ego and douchery get on my nerves sometimes, but his extreme honesty and wit make him a very captivating and challenging person to listen to. I'd definitely like to catch a live show if they were ever to come to my area.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b2/Outland.jpg

A crime thriller in a gritty space setting probably inspired by Alien. It's not great; definitely weaker than Peter Hyams' other space movies (Capricorn One and 2010). Not a must-see.

The crime-infested mining colony reminded me a lot of Babylon 5.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Outland is a movie I loved without ever seeing it. Just like with Alien, I discovered Outland through the novelization, which was among the many SF books my older cousin sent me when he was done with them. Alan Dean Foster wrote both adaptations, and reading them together, it seemed like both movies were set in the same universe. You had the same level tech, the same view of space and corporations. I was so excited at the idea that there was this movie universe being created with "unrelated" films. Unfortunately, it turned out that wasn't the case  sad

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Age of Extinction
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjEwNTg1MTA5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTg2OTM4MTE@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

Am I crazy for liking this far more than the other 3? It's 90% due to Tucci, he's brilliant in this. Where the cringe-inducingly awful performances of Turturro and Tudyk and Malkovich failed, his succeeds and is actually quite funny.

Other than that, the main complaints are there this time around too. It's still totally incoherent in its action and has no sense of geography, as in it's rare that you know where characters in one spot are in relation to characters in another. There are still such long set pieces sometimes that the question 'hey, where is Prime during all of this, I haven't seen him in like 10 minutes' or 'wait, where the hell has Galvatron gone?' frequently come up. There's a bizarre story choice where Prime and the villain meet up for the first time and battle off screen/in the background, then they dump exposition at their second meeting instead as if the first never happened. I'm not even sure why the other 'knights' turned out to be dinobots or even why they were about 3 times the size of Prime, who is another Knight but then Prime has to fight one of them to convince the others that oh my god my brain's melting. And the film still has gaping plot holes. Seriously film, you have your humans trying to transport a heavy bag out of a city on the ground/on foot, with Prime telling them to get it out multiple times, and don't use either the flying dinosaur you have or Prime, who can turn on the foot rockets and can travel through space...

... which has to rank up there with Pacific Rim's super sword as another absurd 'what are you doing movie' moment.

Last edited by redxavier (2014-10-12 22:44:08)

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I agree that Tucci makes up for a lot, but 4 is still the absolute worst of the franchise to me--the worst movie I've ever seen, really. I literally felt sick watching the thing (was dragged to it by a friend who had free tickets--would never give it money), despite anticipating how awful it would be. The awful product placement, the completely WHAT IN THE FUCK ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY ending, the rampant misogtny, the awful shooting and editing, the deus ex machinas, the new levels of sociopathy from Prime. And the bad humans are COMPLETELY JUSTIFIED in their motives. There is no good reason whatsoever we should put up with the goddam alien robots "protecting us" from a threat that is specifically out to get *them*.

Last edited by Abbie (2014-10-12 23:26:57)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So I just watched Lake Mungo, 'cause my good friends over at The Black Dog Podcast (if you like hearing British people swear creatively and Britishly while discussing cult/classic movies and geekiness, you'll likely enjoy them) are doing their traditional 4 Weeks of Horror. (Oh, last week I saw Scream for the first time, but since I'm the last to do so, no review needed for that. Really enjoyed it, worked for me!).

Anyway, I searched the forum and haven't seen any mention of Lake Mungo, so my review is gonna be in spoilers, for the sake of safe page-scrolling (though I've kept it really spoiler-free, you're better going in cold and knowing nothing about it). Spoiler-free: watch it. Seriously, even if this isn't your kind of movie, there's still a lot to admire in the way it was made.

Show
So, it's a faux-documentary about a girl's death, and it follows her family. And holy shit, this is a better made documentary than a lot (maybe most) of the regular documentaries I've seen. It is so convincing, and there is so much verisimilitude, and the acting is so naturalistic that even knowing that it's fake, I really bought into it, and let's be honest, found it fucking creepy. Like, looking over my shoulder creepy. (Hey, don't judge me unless you've seen it).

It doesn't go in for jump scares or cheap bullshit (come to think of it, it often does the complete opposite of jump scares and they work really well), and it's a suitably creepy film, and well paced/structured to keep you interested and off guard. As a faux-documentary horror/psychodrama (?), it does its job.

And mulling it over, it has a streak of surprising maturity to it. There's a throughline in there about family and letting go that really works, and it's hard to describe, but, even though the end of the film, on its surface, is very creepy, it's also strangely... optimistic? Reassuring? Cathartic? Not quite sure what the right word is, but this film impressed me. This kind of movie walks a fine line, but it really does it with a confident panache that you can't help but admire.

Really, track it down and check it out. You may not return to it all that often, but I'm sure, if you have a free evening and a friend wants to see a film they haven't seen before, this'll end up on your shortlist of "oh man, you gotta check this movie out".

Last edited by Herc (2014-10-17 02:34:43)

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

I think Fury is a lot better than you give it credit for. It's incredibly hardcore un-sugarcoated violence, and it's aggressively focused on avoiding most of the cliches of war movies like Saving Private Ryan. There's no inspirational speechifying, no talking about the family back home, no stirring patriotic music, no "but its all for the greater good" bullshit. It's also the extremely rare WW2 movie that's sympathetic to the german soldiers and civilians, showing how their life is utter hell, and they're only fighting under threat of hanging. On top of that, it looks fantastic and brings a lot to the table visually, using tracer rounds to make the battles both extremely dynamic, and easy to follow.

I think the action climax somewhat abandons the gritty realism the rest of the movie accomplishes, but it's still a pretty uniquely dirty, uncompromising entry in the war genre.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I liked it a lot, too - although I agree that if the resolution had had just a little more... something... I might have outright loved it. 

On the other hand, I don't have any obvious fixes to offer - and certainly there were a lot of ways it could have ended that I would have hated.  So kudos to the makers for not making any of those choices.

And yes, I also liked the lack of back story for the characters.  Such as

SPOILER Show
the little hints about Pitt's background that never get fully explained.

Overall, thumbs up from me.

EDIT: And I'll be honest, I thought Shia nailed this one.  The whole ensemble was good, but Shia was the standout for me.

I had a similar feeling Trey, and was wracking my brain trying to think of what the "fix" is.

SPOILER Show
It's a weird case, because the crew's decision to stay and fight feels very unearned. It doesn't seem like a crucial objective they're accomplishing, and you don't get the sense that any of them are suicidal, so it feels like a narrative cheat. But on the other hand, it's clearly by design. The point is that any objective is kind of equally pointless to die for, so if the movie did have them doing this as some massive heroic gesture, that would feel like a cheat too.

I think the obvious comparison point here is the ending of the Wild Bunch. In that one, the decision to walk into certain death is made to defend a very specific moral code. They'd rather all die than let one of their own be humiliated and murdered. You totally buy why they're walking into this, so it really works. The other reason it works is that the firefight itself is fairly short (3-4 minutes), which keeps it believable. The battle in Fury goes on way too long in my opinion, to where it really starts to feel like a different movie where suddenly the germans are incompetent stormtrooper villains, which goes against the tone of the rest of the film.

I think if there was a better justification for the battle (not necessarily in the context of the war, but something really personal to the tank crew), and the battle itself was shorter, Fury might've been great.

Instead, it's just really, really good.

Edit: Also, between Gravity and now this, Steven Price is really kicking ass with his film scores

Last edited by bullet3 (2014-10-19 07:46:10)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

Also, between Gravity and now this, Steven Price is really kicking ass with his film scores.

Ugh. I loved Gravity, but... the music in Fury. Nah dawg.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f9/Edge_of_Tomorrow_Poster.jpg

Late to the party as always, but ye gods I loved this. Second best film of the year for me, behind Winter Soldier.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Turin Horse

http://disorientations.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Turinhorse3.jpeg

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Hiroshima Mon Amour

http://medias.unifrance.org/medias/64/161/106816/format_page/hiroshima-mon-amour.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gone Girl (2014) - 8/10 (8.5)

https://prominentmonkey.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/help_find_amy_dunne_gone_girl.jpg

Very well executed film as usual from Fincher. Not sure how I'll like it with repeat viewings, watching it unfold was very enjoyable but the material isn't perhaps that interesting to go back to. Also not sure if Fincher really was the right person, he obviously brings a level of disconnect and dread where certain character actions might seem more cohesive in a more everyday feeling environment.
Very recommended film though.

Snowpiercer (2013) - 8/10 (7.0)

https://www.jacobinmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/YkEybDnOcmbiJGZIuwmD.jpg

Had been putting this off for some time since I had an idea of what I thought the film was going to be.
Turns out it was pretty much that, but so much more. The main highlight here is the director Joon-Ho Bong, who also made "Memories of Murder", which is kind of the Korean equivalent of "Zodiak", and equally masterful in style and execution.

Snowpiercer is also very well directed, quirky, and most character and direction choices are always interesting on some level. Not sure it sticks the landing quite, most of it works on thematic levels and the literal events in the film can be hard to take seriously. It's a minor complaint though, very interesting film which keeps changing and evolving throughout.

Also really good control of tone throughout, one second they've got some black humor and absurdism going, then 2 seconds later they go for some emotional point and I found it very easy to go along with those turns.

The main Korean actor from "Memories of Murder" is in this one aswell, speaking Korean, and he is amazing in the role. Also amazing is Tilda Swinton who is almost unrecognizable.
Korean films, having a language barrier and to Westerners mostly unknown actors, can often have very interesting or memorable characters and performances because of this cultural difference, but director Joon-Ho Bong somehow manages to translate his Korean sensibilities and quirks and carry it over into this type of film, and making it work with English-speaking actors we are familiar with, rather than it ringing false or seeming overplayed. It doesn't seem like he had to diminish or change his style.

If you like me haven't seen it because you think you know the type of film it will be, definitely see it, it will probably be a pleasant surprise.

Blue Ruin (2013) - 8/10 (7.1)

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/gJo1qrr_8Hc/maxresdefault.jpg

Excellent revenge film, but it's so muted and restrained calling it a revenge film might be unfair just because you may get a certain film in mind that it isn't. I'd compare the overall downplayed style mainly to "No Country for Old Men", it's very matter of fact and procedural, and there's not much "cinematic" drama, things happen and you make of them what you will.
Great acting throughout, our main actor is superb. If you ever feel like a "No Country.." type film this is an almost flawless ride with a very emphatic performance by the main character.

Lucy (2014) - 6/10 (6.5)

http://www.sf.se/ImageVaultFiles/id_14454/cf_206/Lucy.jpg

Luc Bessons latest film. A bit too much style over substance for me, and it's only 90 minutes, which meot would consider a pro but here I would have wanted something a bit more "grand". Very interesting though and if you can buy the movie premise of someone "unlocking" their brain power and gaining superhuman abilities, well, it certainly never bores.

22 Jump Street (2014) - 4/10 (7.4)

http://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/22_jump_street-1-copy.jpg

Didn't really like it. Way too self-aware and mostly just the first movie all over again, which to be fair is part of the point of it, but it just felt kind of generic and not as genuine as the first entry felt to me.

Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - 8/10 (8.0)

http://s5.picofile.com/file/8105722868/live_edge_sc.jpg

Excellent entertainment. Well acted, directed, and shot. Not terribly deep, but it's big budget action with some familiar elements in an interesting mix, and it's filmed in a way where you can make out what is happening and be engaged. Probably closer to a solid 7/10 but I like Doug Liman after the first Bourne film, so I'm OK with an 8.

Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014) 3/10 (6.0)

http://www.themarysue.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/transformers-age-of-extinction.jpg

Transformers 2, minus some racism but also minus any shred of charm or entertainment that Shia Labeouf and his parents brought to the series. It has an ungodly long runtime for no good reason (Dark Knight Rises-long), and I had to watch it in 2 sittings to even power through it.
All annoyances are still here from the previous 2 (I kind of like the first one to be honest), and it's even more disconnected from any genuine emotion. Things happen and the music goes into emotional mode, but I found it impossible to care. There's even less "fun" here than before, if that was even possible.
If someone told me this was directed by Uwe boll, I'd believe them. The DP obviously knows how a camera and dollys and cranes work, but the motivation for every creative decision is lost to me.

The Witches of Eastwick (1987) - 8/10 (6.5)

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy272/craigjoeproject/12eastwick.jpg

Jach Nicholson is a joy to behold. The film is very well made by Mad Max director George Miller. At times the plot becomes absurd or hard to take seriously, but if that happens the filmmaking is always top notch and other qualities redeem it throughout.
Generally reminds me of the early sensibilities of Peter Jackson, with interesting direction, camera movements, and scene direction.
Can't wait for Millers Mad Max sequel.

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985) - 6/10 (6.2)

http://cinapse.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Mad-Max-3-Max-And-Auntie.jpg

The Mad Max series to me is the 2nd one, "The Road Warrior". Seen it many times. Never saw this. It's an... odd story. Odd characters, odd events, odd act structure.
But again, really interesting. If the structure or plot confuses, atleast each scene has a certain captivating quality, and at times the camera moves and direction reach Spielbergian levels of choreography. The camera will move through a crowd, follow one character, then land on another character through some action, it's got a really nice flow most times.
If you haven't seen it, it's pretty good.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's actually the only Mad Max I have seen, I really enjoy it.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Beyond Thunderdome is a weird one, it has some great ideas and some memorable scenes (two men enter, one man leaves!) but then it has a bizarre second half where Max runs into a clan of kids.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://manilovefilms.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/go-poster.jpg
Decided to check out GO, Doug Liman's late-90s riff on Pulp Fiction. I'm a sucker for the "shit going crazy during a single night" genre, so it was a lot of fun. This is probably one of the best of the Pulp Fiction knock-offs, though it's still hard to shake how derivative so much of it feels. And ironically, where Pulp Fiction feels timeless, this ends up feeling kinda dated, with the lame 90s techno vibe throughout.

Still, there's a lot of entertaining stuff, and the cast really makes it work. In particular, Sarah Polly, Timothy Olyphant, Taye Digs and William Fichtner are awesome, and Katie Holmes is at peak hotness in this.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Boter wrote:

It's actually the only Mad Max I have seen, I really enjoy it.

I really recommend the 2nd one. It's still a high water mark as far as action scenes and car chases go, particularly since it was all practical and you know alot of stuntmen suffered greatly during it. Also has a great apocalyptic mood, quite a bit less vibrant than Thunderdome, more bleak and desolate. Good villains and a bit more focused story.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/15/The_Hangover_Part_3.JPG

Since Part II turned out to be a disappointment, my expectations for Hangover Part III were low. I was pleasantly surprised - Part III is actually watchable. Not great, but watchable. Instead of another rehash, this time we got a plot that reminds me of The Big Lebowski (John Goodman even alludes to it once). Not a masterpiece, but not totally awful either.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/5d/AKIRA_%281988_poster%29.jpg/425px-AKIRA_%281988_poster%29.jpg

I'm not very familiar with anime. The Animatrix was good, so I decided to give Akira (which supposedly is one of the best examples of this art form) a shot. It was underwhelming, to say the least. It tries to play with some interesting themes, but (mainly because of flat, uninteresting characters) still feels just like a cartoon. A cartoon with one quick shot of boobs. Maybe it's the fault of the English dub. Or maybe I was simply expecting too much. Or maybe I "just don't get" anime wink

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Akira is a bit underwhelming, I agree. It's not a particularly great story (the manga is much better...) but it helps to understand the context. Akira was the first anime to really break into the west. It's gorgeous looking with smoothly animated action that was arguably far ahead of what people usually associate with cartoons, was shockingly violent and bloody (there's a shot where a man is riddled with bullets in the visceral way we wouldn't see until Total Recall), it was also mind-bending yet distinctly Japanese. It really did a lot to introduce the west to anime, which up to that point had been seen in outsourced saturday morning cartoons.

I've only watched this one subtitled so maybe give that one a go? Depends on how well the English voice actors do with the TETSUOOO!! screaming in the third act I suppose.

Maybe we can get a thread going for anime recommendations as it's quite a medium to explore. Anime is intricately connected to Japanese sensibilities though, which is why you'll often get people who simply don't like it. It's not so much the animated part that puts them off but the way that things are done.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Akira was sort of like 2001. You watched for the spectacle, and either the attempt at being "deep" worked for you or it didn't. Blame the marketing at the time for hyping it, but it did lead to the flood of uncut anime that came after that in the US. Without Akira, you don't get Spirited Away in US theaters.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

With Akira, I remember being freaked out seeing it as a kid on cable, but at this point I barely remember anything about it, so its hard to say either way.

If you want to get into anime, you watch Cowboy Bebop, since its distinctly riffing on Western genres and tropes, it's probably one of the most accessible out there (and genuinely awesome throughout). I'd also recommend Grave of the Fireflies, which is a completely straight-ahead war film that just happens to be animated (and is unflinching and bleak as hell).

But ya, I also have a tough time with anime, because the cultural sensibilities and writing just make most of it impossible to get into at all.

Last edited by bullet3 (2014-10-24 03:07:20)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Cowboy Bebop and Trigun are the two I'd recommend (and are the two that we watch dubbed rather than subbed since the dubs are so damn good). An anime thread would definitely be a good idea.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.