Topic: The People's Couch

Hey y'all.  I've been working on the US version of the popular British series.  It's basically MST3K but for bad tv.  We follow 8 families/groups of friends as they watch buzz worthy shows from week to week.  It's actually a lot of fun, and airs on Bravo Tuesday nights here in the states..  SUPER tight turnaround, as I basically edit these over the course of two days.  Here are the segments that I have cut thus far.

Last edited by Eddie (2014-06-18 23:11:54)

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The People's Couch

US version of the UK's Goggle Box? I haven't seen much of the UK one but a lot of people find it super fun over here.

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Pretty charming in small doses. How scripted is this? On a scale of 1-10, I'm going to guess 3.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

0.  No joke.  No producers are in the room, and these are the people's actual houses.  I would tell you if it was a 10.  The trick is in the casting.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Aaaand we're back!  Tonight in the US on Bravo the season premiere of The peoples Couch.

I cut the amazing race segment.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Here's my pod from the first week.

[video (unkown provider)]

Some insight:

I start my week on a Tuesday, where at 8:30 I received a 15 minute string out with the basic structure from my story producer.  By 2 pm that day, I had an 8 minute rough cut with music, brill, chyrons, and those TV mortises (which are important for reasons I'll get to later).   Did a round of internal notes from the EP's, and showed it to them again by end of day.  They gave me another round of notes to my cut (now 6 minutes in length) and I left for the day.  By Wednesday at noon, I had addressed those notes and screened it for our exec at Bravo.  After a round of notes, I screened it again at 7 pm, and after his final round of notes, shipped it off to Bravo in New York for final notes.  Thursday I addressed net notes, did two more screenings and locked timid day.  Then I did part of another segment and Friday we locked the entire show.

Per the rules of fair use, we cannot edit the show we feature.  Everything must be in chronological order and we cannot full screen jump cut without showing a cutaway or the tv mortise.  So to keep the story clear, while being funny and entertaining, it can be challenging.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Peoples Couch is damn good name. Just saying.

Thumbs up Thumbs down