Re: Kill Bill Vol. 1

You don't understand -- the internet turned to look at me like the flaming vag-eye of Sauron and they all wanted me to know that SOLDIER took place in the BLADE RUNNER universe. It might not even be true but I was sure told the hell out of it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/7403/iktdkt.jpg

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

In other news, Daryl Hannah was just arrested for protesting the Keystone Pipeline.

Story at 11

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I absolutely loved this episode.  One of the best podcasts yet.  Everyone sounded like they had a good time watching it and there were some really funny lines.

Also, I can't remember where (because Tarantino will talk to anyone with ears), but I've heard QT say he has created two movie universes.  One for Pulp and Dogs and one for KB, Death Proof and maybe Basterds (not sure which universe that is).  He describes KB and Death Proof as the movies that Jules, Mr. Pink, Vega, etc see in theaters.  I guess its the same universe, one just subsumes another.

Last edited by oTom (2011-08-31 20:34:07)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Thanks man!

And interesting.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

iJim wrote:

Also, I can't remember where (because Tarantino will talk to anyone with ears), but I've heard QT say he has created two movie universes.  One for Pulp and Dogs and one for KB, Death Proof and maybe Basterds (not sure which universe that is).  He describes KB and Death Proof as the movies that Jules, Mr. Pink, Vega, etc see in theaters.  I guess its the same universe, one just subsumes another.

I admit I find that kind of thing hilarious. A similar thing has been said in the anime world about the various Macross shows by the creator. The various TV series and Macross Plus are "real", the Macross movie is a Hollywood version of the real events of the first series which those characters would have seen in theaters, and Macross II is just bad fiction from that world smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

As long as we're on the subject of multiple unrelated movies set within the same fictional universe, I feel obligated to link the following:

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~kwgow/crossovers.html

Your mind will not be ready.

Ewing wrote:

As long as we're on the subject of multiple unrelated movies set within the same fictional universe, I feel obligated to link the following:

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~kwgow/crossovers.html

Your mind will not be ready.

That's awesome, but there is some tenuous shit in there. Character crossovers are one thing, but a Weyland-Yutani logo links Firefly to Angel because some company in Angel mentions WY as a client?

vicnet.net.au wrote:

If St Elsewhere exists only within Tommy Westphall's mind, then so does every other series set within the same fictional sphere.

False syllogism. Tommy might be dreaming of St Elsewhere from within a universe that includes everything else. Lennie Briscoe might exist in Tommy's actual world and be incorporated into Tommy's fantasy along with GM cars and Coca-Cola and Wolf Blitzer.

*grabby hand* PULITZER PLEASE

Last edited by Zarban (2011-09-01 00:50:48)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Ok not trying to be dickish here but I just hate Kill Bill

I'm only going to go back to this guys reviews because It's the same way I feel

http://www.confusedmatthew.com/Kill-Bill-Vol-1.php

http://www.confusedmatthew.com/Kill-Bill-Vol-2.php

Thumbs up Thumbs down

After reading your post about DRVE, I have to ask, what's with all the negativity? Are you merely having a bad day? Do you need a hug? I'm here for you. smile

Anyway, I'll try to watch the rest, but right away, I got 2:37 into that first link before I had to pause and come back here. This is another case of someone stating their opinion as fact. To anyone who has ever done this, or might do this: DON'T! It does favors for no one, and makes you sound like an asshole.

I'm of course referring to the beginning of that first vid where the author says "No Country For Old Men is obviously bad!" but doesn't explain why, and also says he doesn't need to because it's so obviously bad. Right off, this author has lost me. He's basically saying, "My word is law. I am an authority on this. Listen to me." Why? Why should I? Just because you make bold, declarative statements without any evidence to back them up? Sorry, but that's not how this works.

Roger Ebert has a book called "Your Movie SUCKS!" It's sort of a joke title. If you opened the paper to see what he said about the latest blockbuster and all he said was, "It sucks", you'd be pissed, right? I would, because that's not a review. That tells me nothing. I can't potentially learn anything about storytelling from that. Thankfully, Ebert's book isn't just a Jack Torrance special. It goes in depth on why he feels these particular movies are not good.

So, when some guy (who I have no idea what his credentials are, by the way or if he even has any) opens with, "X is obviously bad", that just makes me respond, "Obviously not, since I can't just take your word for it, and especially when I disagree on the face of it."

In regards to Kill Bill (and the 2 and a half minutes of this review I've seen), I feel the author's opinions might work better applied to Death Proof. I'll keep watching, but I'm very, very concerned.

EDITED TO ADD: Okay, while many of the points made in the video are valid, funny and would possibly make the movie better, I disagree that what we got in the first place is bad. I like Kill Bill as is (Volume 1 at least, not so much Volume 2).

Last edited by johnpavlich (2011-10-19 09:41:20)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

johnpavlich wrote:

After reading your post about DRVE, I have to ask, what's with all the negativity? Are you merely having a bad day? Do you need a hug? I'm here for you. smile

Yeah I've been sick lately, makes me crabby somewhat. I don't like to cause drama or problems, I wish we could all live in a world where only good movies are made and everyone likes them. But since thats not the case I sometimes just have to stand up and speak my mind. Don't mind me though I'm the equivalent of a pebble in a shoe.

Anyway the author has quite a large fan base and is probably just stating his thought on NCFOM again assuming you saw the review he did for that movie, or any others he did.

You can find them all of his reviews here, If anyone cares.
http://www.confusedmatthew.com/Confused … eviews.php

I would truly hope you watch and finish both KB1 and KB2 reviews even if you disagree with the points.

As far as the difference between 1-2 I like more stuff in the first one but in that regards I feels kinda like the movies are mixed up, like 2 should be 1, and 1 should be 2.

Last edited by Landporpus (2011-10-19 14:22:38)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Confused Matthew thinks CRYSTAL SKULL is a good movie. His argument is invalid.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Confused Matthew is very confused.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh man, I know what it's like to be sick and crabby. I once had a fever of 106. I was 16 and miserable because my family was out at the time, so I had to overcome it all by myself.

Anyway, yeah I watched the whole Kill Bill video, which is why I added my thoughts to my first post. Thanks for the link to his other videos. I'll check them out, as they're well edited and I like getting different perspectives on movies (obviously). Although, given what Dorkman just pointed out, I'm probably not going to like/agree with much of what this guy says. We'll see. smile

EDITED TO ADD: Uh-oh! There's a video on the main page where Confused Matthew explains what he means when using the word, "objective" in his reviews. Within that, he sticks his nose up at Howard The Duck. Stay away, Brian Finifter!

Last edited by johnpavlich (2011-10-19 19:45:01)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I haven't even posted in this thread!  And only my mother calls me Matthew.

I discovered that kid a while back and liked some of his reviews, but a lot of them come off like he's consciously using things that aren't faults in the films as faults in the film to justify his opinion. In his Lion King review, he can't get over the fact that Simba is a naive selfish brat. It's been a while since I've seen that movie, but is that not kinda the point of the first part of the movie? Naive selfish brat is manipulated by his uncle so that said uncle can assassinate his brother - the brat's father - when he comes to rescue him yet again. Brat runs away from his problems, grows up, comes back and faces his kinda fucked up past, but also his guilt over being such a selfish naive brat and getting his father killed when he was a kid. The movie is about being able to forgive yourself and move on. Right? I mean, the other characters never blamed him to begin, even though they must have known that Mufasa died trying to save his naive selfish dickwad of a son.

Confused Matthew understood that aspect of the film, but didn't get that it was written that way on purpose. I think he tends to not really care much about characters or their motivations, which is why he doesn't seem to get why characters do things

I dunno, he hated Transformers 2, so that's good.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I used to hate Kill Bill, and for some reason thought that was the general opinion too. Then I listened to this, realised everybody loves it, and revisited the film.

Nedless to say, I'm now part of the masses. Once again.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/879/zoidberghooray.gif

Thumbs up Thumbs down

...not sure if trolling.. tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hey guys. Loved this movie, loved the commentary. I used to collect foreign DVDs back when DVD was a thing and I have a Japanese region 2 version fo Kill Bill Volume 1. Yes, the House of Blue Leaves scene is in full, glorious color but one other addition is when Sophie is in the trunk and Kiddo is threatening to cut off bits if she's less than forthcoming, B. Kiddo actually cuts her other arm off on screen. This was something else I guess they cut for rating.

Here's the full scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDh8KbMfZZk

BTW, I have the same car as Sophie (Nissan 300zx somewhere between 90 and 96) and there's no way in hell you are going to fit a person in that trunk. Totally took me out of it!

Thumbs up Thumbs down