Re: Hobbit 2 - Despoiling of Smaug

redxavier wrote:

Well, what FIYH do is merely theoretical. A fan edit, which involves taking someone else's work and changing it, is a step beyond merely talking about it.

But it's the same concept, only the medium is different. Either way you are "telling" the filmmaker that they did it wrong and you could do it better. Which if I'm understanding the arguement happening here is the crux of the moral ambiguity.

And in case it isn't obvious, I am totally for fan edits and discussing how to fix movies, I think they're amazing ideas.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:
Invid wrote:

I think the difference is, fan fiction is often the equivalent of "if I was the writer of the sequel, this is how I'd do it!" Fan edits can come off as "here's how I would have done your job better."

And when FIYH "fixes a movie" it's different how?

So film criticism is the same as fan fiction. Gotcha smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:
BigDamnArtist wrote:
Invid wrote:

I think the difference is, fan fiction is often the equivalent of "if I was the writer of the sequel, this is how I'd do it!" Fan edits can come off as "here's how I would have done your job better."

And when FIYH "fixes a movie" it's different how?

So film criticism is the same as fan fiction. Gotcha smile

Not what I meant and you know it.

Also, read my last post.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

It's different because you're explicitly fucking with someone's art and redistributing it with your name attached against their will. I kind of hate remix culture though so I'm the wrong guy to ask.

Talking about and critiquing a work academically and offering suggestions is very different.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

It's different because you're explicitly fucking with someone's art and redistributing it with your name attached against their will. I kind of hate remix culture though so I'm the wrong guy to ask.

Talking about and critiquing a work academically and offering suggestions is very different.

Hm, I take it you are against this idea then? wink

Most fan edits are designed for fun, to see if the person could do it, much in the same way fan films explore different concepts with the world. But, I certainly can understand not wanting to mess with someone else's art just for the sake of it.

I think intent is a good measure in this case, simply due to the fact because there are some people who want to try something different. The Phantom Edit, among others, is one that attempted to give a different perspective on the existing footage.

I have no doubt that there will be Hobbit edits to try and craft a one movie edit out of existing footage, given the mixed reactions to the films.

Could there ever be a fan edit done for education purposes that isn't just viewed as a wholly negative view on the original work?

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I should clarify, I'm ok with fan-edits if they're done for your own personal enjoyment. If I wanna take my purchased blu-ray of a movie, take the time to make a custom edit that I like, and burn myself a copy to watch at home, I think that's fine.  I have a serious problem with it when you then post that online (often-times on piratebay), and start promoting it and making it about yourself, and stupid discussions start up about what the "best" fan-edit is for a particular movie, and whatnot.

Is there a certain what-if curiosity around potential re-edits of some movies in rare cases? Sure. The attempt to re-create Tarantino's original structure for True Romance is one example. However, the problem is that usually the people trying to do this stuff are not good editors, and so 95% of fan-edits online are garbage. Often riddled with mistakes, glitches, nonsensical choices, all because having a copy of Finalcut made them think they know how to edit. I think that's very disrespectful to the filmmakers and editors who busted their asses to make the movie they made.

If you want to try this stuff as an editing exercise (and it can be a valuable exercise), knock yourself out, but keep it to yourself.

Last edited by bullet3 (2014-09-13 06:43:38)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

I should clarify, I'm ok with fan-edits if they're done for your own personal enjoyment. If I wanna take my purchased blu-ray of a movie, take the time to make a custom edit that I like, and burn myself a copy to watch at home, I think that's fine.  I have a serious problem with it when you then post that online (often-times on piratebay), and start promoting it and making it about yourself, and stupid discussions start up about what the "best" fan-edit is for a particular movie, and whatnot.

Ah, that makes more sense. I don't like it when people push their edit as "they best" or "the correct version" but I don't have a problem with sharing or demonstrating an edit. To me, it would be just as interesting to see what people focus on and emphasize in an edit, versus other views.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There are a lot of things being said in very general ways here.

bullet3 wrote:

I have a serious problem with it when you then post that online (often-times on piratebay), and start promoting it and making it about yourself, and stupid discussions start up about what the "best" fan-edit is for a particular movie, and whatnot.

Your hostility suggests you are not a member of this subculture and you are making assumptions. The best way to distribute a fanedit is by file-sharing (as opposed to post or whatever). There is also not a single illegal thing happening when you share such a file with a small group, not for profit (in the USA, at least). By it's very nature, a re-cut is a transformative act and protected. Discussions about a 'best' edit are a bit tiring but usually it is someone looking to see what an edit could do for a movie they enjoy and they want a recommendation for where to start. People who have seen several edits of a movie do not generally, in my experience, waste pages of forums debating which is superior.

bullet3 wrote:

I think that's very disrespectful to the filmmakers and editors who busted their asses to make the movie they made.

bullet3 wrote:

It's different because you're explicitly fucking with someone's art and redistributing it with your name attached against their will.

Listen to Trey more often. There are reasons for why decisions are made. They are not all good, but there are reasons. The 'art' doesn't always turn out as desired. A "Director's Cut' exists for many movies because the studio wanted one thing and the Director wanted something else. By your logic, future George Lucas is insulting past George Lucas by editing the movies he busted his ass to make. Spielberg too. Young George Lucas was fervently against colorizing movies and suggested legal action to protect movies from their creators. When the filmmakers themselves edit a movie years after the fact, after they have protested changing movies, I think it is ridiculous to claim it's disrespectful.

As for reasons, take The Hobbit. Jackson originally suggested something very different than what has gone to theater. He reasonable wanted a lower budget and 2 movies. A small couple of movies following closely to the book. For 'reasons', it is now a big budget trilogy of epic scale that has very little of the spirit of the book. Why not edit the trilogy into a couple or single movie? Why not cut the storylines that don't happen in the book? I say cut the dwarf-elf love story that completely negates the significance of the unique dwarf-elf friendship from LotR. Make the escape from the goblins quick instead of showing the highly improbable deaths of 150 goblins; and so on.

Since I don't enjoy the Hobbit movies as they are, maybe I will enjoy a fanedit. And, if a talented person already made one, I want to see it. I would really love to enjoy a Hobbit movie. If it isn't good, that's ok. I don't enjoy the originals, either.

redxavier wrote:

Not that I'm against fan edits, I'm already started on the Hobbit.

Good for you. I'm waiting for a good fanedit. As for me, I put the Star Wars prequels into about 2 hours. Not a polished, final cut but I like it anyway. Also, I think you mean "I've already". Careful you don't become the crap editor bullet3 expects. smile

http://savestarwars.com/lucasspeechagai … ition.html

Last edited by Jp12x (2014-09-15 04:01:42)

I post because I care.
  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
"Feel free to flame me. I don't like Legends of Korra or Gravity, either."

Jp12x wrote:

There are a lot of things being said in very general ways here.

bullet3 wrote:

I have a serious problem with it when you then post that online (often-times on piratebay), and start promoting it and making it about yourself, and stupid discussions start up about what the "best" fan-edit is for a particular movie, and whatnot.

Your hostility suggests you are not a member of this subculture and you are making assumptions. The best way to distribute a fanedit is by file-sharing (as opposed to post or whatever). There is also not a single illegal thing happening when you share such a file with a small group, not for profit (in the USA, at least). By it's very nature, a re-cut is a transformative act and protected. Discussions about a 'best' edit are a bit tiring but usually it is someone looking to see what an edit could do for a movie they enjoy and they want a recommendation for where to start. People who have seen several edits of a movie do not generally, in my experience, waste pages of forums debating which is superior.

bullet3 wrote:

I think that's very disrespectful to the filmmakers and editors who busted their asses to make the movie they made.

bullet3 wrote:

It's different because you're explicitly fucking with someone's art and redistributing it with your name attached against their will.

Listen to Trey more often. There are reasons for why decisions are made. They are not all good, but there are reasons. The 'art' doesn't always turn out as desired. A "Director's Cut' exists for many movies because the studio wanted one thing and the Director wanted something else. By your logic, future George Lucas is insulting past George Lucas by editing the movies he busted his ass to make. Spielberg too. Young George Lucas was fervently against colorizing movies and suggested legal action to protect movies from their creators. When the filmmakers themselves edit a movie years after the fact, after they have protested changing movies, I think it is ridiculous to claim it's disrespectful.

As for reasons, take The Hobbit. Jackson originally suggested something very different than what has gone to theater. He reasonable wanted a lower budget and 2 movies. A small couple of movies following closely to the book. For 'reasons', it is now a big budget trilogy of epic scale that has very little of the spirit of the book. Why not edit the trilogy into a couple or single movie? Why not cut the storylines that don't happen in the book? I say cut the dwarf-elf love story that completely negates the significance of the unique dwarf-elf friendship from LotR. Make the escape from the goblins quick instead of showing the highly improbable deaths of 150 goblins; and so on.

Since I don't enjoy the Hobbit movies as they are, maybe I will enjoy a fanedit. And, if a talented person already made one, I want to see it. I would really love to enjoy a Hobbit movie. If it isn't good, that's ok. I don't enjoy the originals, either.

redxavier wrote:

Not that I'm against fan edits, I'm already started on the Hobbit.

Good for you. I'm waiting for a good fanedit. As for me, I put the Star Wars prequels into about 2 hours. Not a polished, final cut but I like it anyway. Also, I think you mean "I've already". Careful you don't become the crap editor bullet3 expects. smile

http://savestarwars.com/lucasspeechagai … ition.html

Well, I liked it, but let's all take this with a cup of salt, shall we smile

A quick side note, I would argue that elf-dwarf love story is little more than an infatuation on the dwarf's part, and a protective nature on the Elf's part, rather than a true "love" story.

But, we have one more film to bear out that premise and see what the result is and who happens.

When I have time, I would like to review your prequel edit. I think there is a good film in there, somewhere, even if it is only an hour long wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jp12x wrote:

As for reasons, take The Hobbit. Jackson originally suggested something very different than what has gone to theater. He reasonable wanted a lower budget and 2 movies. A small couple of movies following closely to the book. For 'reasons', it is now a big budget trilogy of epic scale that has very little of the spirit of the book.

You know, it would be fun if Jackson himself made an edit. There's the example of the anime Macross Plus. The creators wanted to do a movie, but the studio funding it insisted on four hour long direct to video episodes, so they could make more money. However, the creators structured their scenes so that after the main job was done, they were able to re-edit things down to their original vision with only a few new bits. The two hour version is much better, although the 4 episodes are also good.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

You know, it would be fun if Jackson himself made an edit.

I get the feeling that Jackson's personal edit wouldn't be that different.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:
Jp12x wrote:

As for reasons, take The Hobbit. Jackson originally suggested something very different than what has gone to theater. He reasonable wanted a lower budget and 2 movies. A small couple of movies following closely to the book. For 'reasons', it is now a big budget trilogy of epic scale that has very little of the spirit of the book.

You know, it would be fun if Jackson himself made an edit. There's the example of the anime Macross Plus. The creators wanted to do a movie, but the studio funding it insisted on four hour long direct to video episodes, so they could make more money. However, the creators structured their scenes so that after the main job was done, they were able to re-edit things down to their original vision with only a few new bits. The two hour version is much better, although the 4 episodes are also good.

I would actually like to see Guillermo del Toro and Jackson do an edit together. That to me would interesting, and perhaps closer to what Jackson was originally was thinking off, when pitching two films.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jp12x wrote:

The best way to distribute a fanedit is by file-sharing (as opposed to post or whatever). There is also not a single illegal thing happening when you share such a file with a small group, not for profit (in the USA, at least). By it's very nature, a re-cut is a transformative act and protected.

Pretty sure that wouldn't hold up in court. For one thing, copyright infringement has nothing to do with whether or not you are making a profit. It makes it somewhat less likely that anyone will notice or care about what you're doing, but if they did decide to shut you down, they'd be within their legal rights. Transformative acts also have limitations -- simply rearranging an existing work doesn't really count, you have to add significantly to it.

I'm not anti-remix personally (I'm flirting with the idea of a fanedit of HOBBIT myself, if I can come to terms with having to watch the third) but let's not kid ourselves. It's playing in an area that's only grey so long as the copyright holders deign to allow it to be so.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jp12x wrote:

Also, I think you mean "I've already". Careful you don't become the crap editor bullet3 expects. smile

I was quite deliberate with the phrasing, as the starting process isn't over and I won't really have started until extended editions for Smaug and Battle are out.

The greatest hurdle with any fanedit is that it's based purely on what's available. Which is why I don't really buy that it's a form of film criticism, as you don't have access to all of the shot material that the filmmaker had.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

The greatest hurdle with any fanedit is that it's based purely on what's available. Which is why I don't really buy that it's a form of film criticism, as you don't have access to all of the shot material that the filmmaker had.

But if I can make a better film using just what the filmmaker released than the filmmaker did with access to the entire pipeline start to finish, isn't that a pretty harsh critique in and of itself?

Granted it's not a critique with a huge vocabulary, and most of the time would boil down to "Gees dude, you really fucking suck at this whole movie making thing." But that's valid, and having the concrete proof there to back it up puts it way closer to a hard argument than someone on a random forum saying they could have done x,y and z to fix it and that the filmmaker sucks (Cause who the hell knows if whatever they said would actually work in motion?).

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2014-09-16 12:10:22)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I see what you're saying, I just think that with access to that limited set of material, all you can do is cut up and/or rearrange the pictures. You won't really know what else can be done and how much better it can be. Without access to the takes where Jake Lloyd was accidentally being a good actor, all you can often do is make something less shit. Takes and angles play a huge part in the editing process, and 'cutting shots/scenes' is such a limited vocabulary as you say.

To bring it back to the Hobbit, I've found real difficulty in excising 'offensive' material in the first movie, that awful Radagast sleigh chase sequence for example (which as shown makes no sense).

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So the more I meticulously go through these movies the more optimistic I become about a re-edit. There's a good film in here somewhere. Both parts so far have a reasonably solid core of good actors, set design and direction and it's really about pruning back on the bollocks to let these shine.

There are some things that simply can't be cut around without significant and jarring jumps, e.g. Thorin must be hurt when carried by the eagles, Kili has to be wounded and left behind in Laketown (with three other dwarves), Smaug must get covered in gold.

I'm hoping the extra 25 minutes or so for DoS will provide some useful stuff. Really hopeful for more Beorn especially as those scenes are a bit weak. I'm a bit amazed that they didn't follow the book for getting there and meeting him, as it's a unique scene that's quite amusing yet tense and also wonderfully mirrors their introduction to Bilbo. Instead we got another CHASED BY WARGS action scene.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So, I enjoyed both movies. No, they're not nearly as good as LOTR, for many, many reasons. But I can enjoy them as part of the Middle-Earth history--instead of getting mad--because of this shameless retconning:

The Hobbit is "written" by Bilbo Baggins. He's far more fanciful and dramatic than Frodo, who "wrote" the Lord of the Rings. This character difference is obvious even in their portrayal in LOTR, and is highlighted by Bilbo's introduction in the first Hobbit film: the dwarf kingdom is not the greatest kingdom of Middle-Earth, but he kinda makes it out to be. This is to be expected from someone telling his own story and that of his best friends.

LOTR is far more grounded and "real" because it was written by the pragmatic Frodo (with additions by Sam), and therefore is a far more accurate account of events, with much less of the drama and embellishment contained in the Hobbit. This allows me to enjoy the Hobbit movies as fanciful tales (as, indeed, the book was), and the Lord of the Rings as more realistic "history."

Sure, movies are movies, and if it's a bad movie, it's bad. But I like 'em, and can preclude disappointment by remembering the above. After all, I really don't care for the book Hobbit, while LOTR is awesome. So there you go.

Witness me!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Writhyn wrote:

The Hobbit is "written" by Bilbo Baggins. He's far more fanciful and dramatic than Frodo, who "wrote" the Lord of the Rings. This character difference is obvious even in their portrayal in LOTR, and is highlighted by Bilbo's introduction in the first Hobbit film: the dwarf kingdom is not the greatest kingdom of Middle-Earth, but he kinda makes it out to be. This is to be expected from someone telling his own story and that of his best friends.

LOTR is far more grounded and "real" because it was written by the pragmatic Frodo (with additions by Sam), and therefore is a far more accurate account of events, with much less of the drama and embellishment contained in the Hobbit. This allows me to enjoy the Hobbit movies as fanciful tales (as, indeed, the book was), and the Lord of the Rings as more realistic "history."

If this was in anyway substantiated and sustained throughout the movies instead of just a bookend thing in both I would totally buy it, and I would almost be willing to go so far as to forgive the horrible horrible film making that the Hobbit movies are. (As is, I can't see anything in the movies themselves (LOTR or the Hobbit) that is saying this a retelling of the story through the eyes of the story teller, Bilbo or Frodo, instead of the bookends simply being a flashforward.)

Congrats tho, you've gotten me the closest to actually finding a way to like these movies so far out of anything so far!

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Writhyn wrote:

So, I enjoyed both movies. No, they're not nearly as good as LOTR, for many, many reasons. But I can enjoy them as part of the Middle-Earth history--instead of getting mad--because of this shameless retconning:

Sure, movies are movies, and if it's a bad movie, it's bad. But I like 'em, and can preclude disappointment by remembering the above. After all, I really don't care for the book Hobbit, while LOTR is awesome. So there you go.

Well said. That is what I have felt since Unexpected Journey, and continue to think so, especially after watching the Extended Edition of DOS.

And, way to almost convince BDA of the positives of the film wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

If this was in anyway substantiated and sustained throughout the movies instead of just a bookend thing in both I would totally buy it, and I would almost be willing to go so far as to forgive the horrible horrible film making that the Hobbit movies are. (As is, I can't see anything in the movies themselves (LOTR or the Hobbit) that is saying this a retelling of the story through the eyes of the story teller, Bilbo or Frodo, instead of the bookends simply being a flashforward.)

Congrats tho, you've gotten me the closest to actually finding a way to like these movies so far out of anything so far!

Yeah, I get what you're saying. But LOTR begins with Bilbo starting to write "There and Back Again," and ends shortly after Frodo finishes LOTR and tells Sam there's a bit more room. An Unexpected Journey begins with a stylized prologue narrated by Bilbo, who is then the central character of the story, and again shows him writing the book. That's a significant bookend.
Also remember that while the Red Book of Westmarch is supposed to contain the truth of the matter (that Bilbo essentially stole the Ring), he is often shown to be an unreliable narrator, even to himself.
But, whatever. They are just movies, in the end.

My work here is done! *flies away*

Last edited by Writhyn (2014-10-30 18:12:45)

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down