Re: THE LORD OF THE RINGS

Um well I'm not sure I have that many scintillating stories to tell...

I remember before the movies came out that I had basically no interest in them, and no real prior knowledge as I hadn't read the books. We were driving over Hayward's Hill to drop my brother off at college and coming down the hill we glanced off to the right and all did a double take - "Since when has there been a castle in the quarry?"  We figured out it was from Rings, but pulled over to have a look, it was super impressive looking. Turned out to be Helm's Deep (which I later heard on an American "Behind the Scenes" being described as located in a "remote rock quarry" - the quarry is within spitting distance of State Highway 2 so I'm not sure what they meant by remote...)

Anyway we got super into the movies when they came out, even made our own board games for them smile  And then there was this, which contrary to what some people online seem to think, was a JOKE and they did actually find it hilarious.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/Fbiluthien/dom_manip_nz_zpsc2af32e7.jpg

(I regret nothing.)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

everythingshiny wrote:

Um well I'm not sure I have that many scintillating stories to tell...

I remember before the movies came out that I had basically no interest in them, and no real prior knowledge as I hadn't read the books. We were driving over Hayward's Hill to drop my brother off at college and coming down the hill we glanced off to the right and all did a double take - "Since when has there been a castle in the quarry?"  We figured out it was from Rings, but pulled over to have a look, it was super impressive looking. Turned out to be Helm's Deep (which I later heard on an American "Behind the Scenes" being described as located in a "remote rock quarry" - the quarry is within spitting distance of State Highway 2 so I'm not sure what they meant by remote...)

To us Americans, being that far from the States is remote wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Good 50min lecture here by Tom Shippey on the "necessary" changes for Jackson adaptation...

http://kaltura.swarthmore.edu/p/105/sp/ … 0_yomp5jtq

not long to go now...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Ian McKellen visits a school.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Thanks for that Shippey talk avatar, some interesting stuff there.

He makes a good argument that the very nature of film funding requires compromises in order to get maximum return on investment, quite aside from considerations of length and number of characters.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down