Topic: Carrie '76

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Carrie '76

In case anyone's interested, I also recorded a track for this film, back in 2010.

http://sofadogs.libsyn.com/-192-carrie-1976-

I've never once considered the angle of "Carrie's Mom might be on to something," or "Carrie's Mom was right". To me, she was never "right" in the ethical, moral sense, only in a technical sense, maybe. It's an issue of nature versus nurture. I lean completely to the side of nurture, whereas I guess others (like the panel here, for instance) stand on the side of nature. I feel it's a nurture issue because, if Carrie's Mom wasn't "Crazy Town Banana Pants" and had actually treated Carrie well and raised her properly, she might have viewed the telekinesis as a gift from God, and would have been able to help her Daughter control it and use it to help others. Especially her Mother, nobody really takes responsibility for the monster they've created. I mean, never mind even the terrible bullying at school, just look at the stuff her Mother does and says to her. She's Carrie's biggest enemy and bully, way worse than anyone at school. It just reminds me of that scene in Fight Club: "You were running around in ski masks, trying to blow things up, WHAT DID YOU THINK WAS GONNA HAPPEN?"

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

This movie is sCarrie.

Thank you for the interesting note on Barry Lyndon in regards to the flatness of the shooting: I recently checked that off my Kubrick list and hadn't gotten the "Film as Painting" motiff he was going for in that one, but it totally makes sense.....

Also, thank you for comparing Carrie to Akira's Tetsuo....That's a match made in Heaven....Hell....Styx?