Re: So, Mike was hit by a car.

Hello everyone!

I'm more of the lurker type and I feel a bit bad about this being my first post. So, a few weeks back I tweeted at the friendsinurhead tweeter asking them which way those who can't reallya afford to give money could help best. They told me to spread the thing around.

Now, I'm Spaniard and I seriously doubt that most of my Facebook friends would care or understand why someone would need to raise money after having an accident (different health care systems and all) so I thought a bit about the best way of going about it.

I decided on writing to another podcast I'm a fan of, Knights of the Night actual play podcast (I'm bad with forums, all links will come at the end). In this podcast the record themselves playing a tabletop RPG and then they edit it. The result is almos like listening to a radio play.

I spoke with Tom, who's usually the one running their social media. Despite catching him in the middle of a convention, he was kind enough to give me some time. I explained to him the situation and asked him that if he was ok with it, he could share it with their fans.

Yesterday they uploaded their latest episode and there it was. He mentions it. He posted links on their official facebook page, on their fan page and on their website. So, why the hell am I going on and on about this? Well, I think that was quite kind of them and I thought that you guys would appreciate it. Maybe say hi to them, send them a virtual handshake or give them a listen? Anyways, thought I would share.

I hope no one thinks this is inappropiate or something I like that. It just made me feel good when people I respect do something good for someone I care about (despite not knowing him personally).

Now, links. Because I'm a n00b and I'm unable to do the neat thing where a link shows up as text.

FB page: https://www.facebook.com/kotn.podcast
FB fan page (it works sort of like a forum for the community): https://www.facebook.com/groups/KotNFan/
iTunes playlist thingie (disclaimer, their equipment wasn't the best when they started. Sound quality is a bit meh): https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/kni … 391060534#

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

That's very kind of you and greatly appreciated.  Even more than money, time is our most valuable resource, and you donated a good chunk of it.  It's not unnoticed.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I fuckin' love you, you crazy goddamned Spaniard.

Thanks man.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I sent a postcard today.

*kicks dirt*

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Teague wrote:

I... I... I never dared believe it was mutual wink

I talked to Tom a little more today and he told me that in the first day-ish the get about 600 downloads on average. I don't know if that's a lot or a little, but I hope that we see some support coming from there.

Anyway, I was thinking - always a risky proposition - and realised that the best way of improving the odds of garnering that support is by getting these people to care about Scott. And how to do that? The same way you've been getting fans all this long. With an awesome podcast. I post a little text that entices them to click on the accompanaying links. A few minutes later... Bam! Hooked.

In this spirit, could I ask you people for what your pitch would be? The episodes you consider showcase best what this podcast is about?

P.S: Should I open a new thread instead of cluttering this one? As I said earlier, I'm bad at forums.
P.P.S: Spaniard means that English isn't my first language, so please forgive any mistakes, feel free to laugh at them and even correct them if you're so inclined. I always appreciate the opportunity to learn some more ^^

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ehkesoyo wrote:
Teague wrote:

I... I... I never dared believe it was mutual wink

I talked to Tom a little more today and he told me that in the first day-ish the get about 600 downloads on average. I don't know if that's a lot or a little, but I hope that we see some support coming from there.

Anyway, I was thinking - always a risky proposition - and realised that the best way of improving the odds of garnering that support is by getting these people to care about Scott. And how to do that? The same way you've been getting fans all this long. With an awesome podcast. I post a little text that entices them to click on the accompanaying links. A few minutes later... Bam! Hooked.

In this spirit, could I ask you people for what your pitch would be? The episodes you consider showcase best what this podcast is about?

P.S: Should I open a new thread instead of cluttering this one? As I said earlier, I'm bad at forums.
P.P.S: Spaniard means that English isn't my first language, so please forgive any mistakes, feel free to laugh at them and even correct them if you're so inclined. I always appreciate the opportunity to learn some more ^^

We actually had a thread a little while back which may be able to help

http://friendsinyourhead.com/forum/view … hp?id=1671

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's very hard to come away from listening to the LOTR commentaries without developing a man-crush on Dorkman. He's at it literally for almost half a day and brings up a great amount of background information and details about both movies and books. I'd recommend those to a listen through.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

I sent a postcard today.

*kicks dirt*

I wrote a postcard then realized I'd written on the wrong side, so I'm grabbing another today to write on.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I had the thought this week, listening to commentaries on various horror films including Carrie, that when Dorkman wakes up there's a good chance his opinion on post-accident Stephen King will be different. The change in King's writing will suddenly make a whole lot more sense.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It feels a little bit like I'm in mourning, which is a horrible thing to say. He's not gone, just absent. And it leaves a weird Mike-on-the-Internet shaped hole.

My thoughts are with you buggers who actually know him. He just poked holes in my opinions through Facebook, yet I lament. To not have him around must be harder.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Today's update is heartbreaking, but at the same time it encourages me so much to hear that he's at this cognitive level and seems to be steadily improving.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think it's thrilling. All things considered, it's virtually the best case scenario.

Yea, Mike!

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Wow. I hadn't checked fb yet. Good spoilers.
Let him watch Sad Max.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thank you for the update on FB. Will be sending encouraging postcards this coming week, and keep on praying.

Hang in there, my friends!

*Internet hugs*

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Postcard sent! Hopefully it wings its way across the Atlantic quickly.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's still heartbreaking. A part of me always just assumed "It's Mike. He'll be just fine. He'll just wake up with David at his side and simply ask where he is, and what happened".

It never really occurred to me that this would be a possibility.

At the same time though, it's great to hear that according to how things actually work in the real world, he's doing great.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

So, he has flashcards for "YES" and "NO".
Next time one of you visits, take a flashcard that says "WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN THERE'S GONNA BE A GHOSTBUSTERS REBOOT?" and ask him the appropriate question. If he's started smiling, I'm sure his sense of humour will start coming back on-line soon, too smile

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

I heartily approve of this.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Herc wrote:

Next time one of you visits, take a flashcard that says "WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN THERE'S GONNA BE A GHOSTBUSTERS REBOOT?"

Next time one of you visits ask him "Are you a god?"  wink

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Very encouraging news indeed. Recognizing his boyfriend is huge. I had a friend who was in a similar situation and his accident literally erased the last 10 years of his memory. He experienced a similar state of waking up too so nothing in the updates sound discouraging.

How are the rest of you guys holding up?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lol. He can't speak yet and we're already getting movie related opinions. Best update so far. Long road ahead but definitely pointed in the right direction.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mike's getting better. I expect him to be intolerably smug about the outpouring of affection he's receiving on Facebook.

Should we start making snarky remarks?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

At some point Mike is gonna read this thread.

Shit. Everyone say dismissive crap about his injuries.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

At some point Mike is gonna read this thread.

Shit. Everyone say dismissive crap about his injuries.

I'm not impressed with Wushu shoes if he couldn't avoid one lousy car...

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Pfft. I've had worse. Let me tell you about the time I got this wicked paper cut in the webbing between my thumb and index finger.

Thumbs up Thumbs down