Topic: What movies did you love at 12?

As forum regulars know, I watch a lot of movies with my niece and nephew, who are now turning 12. Over the last 6 years, we've watched dozens of movies, and I'm coming to the end of my list of essentials, so I turn to the forum both for myself and for anyone else who might have the pleasure of introducing kids to the wonders of cinema in the future.

Assuming that any "kids" films in the last 10 years are readily available and probably already encountered, I think the logical thing to ask is "Aside from the Disney/Pixar/Lucasfilm classics, what movies did you love when you were 12"?

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Re: What movies did you love at 12?

Well, I was a bit bigger than 12 inches, but Fievel Goes West: An American Tale.

Possibly because it was the only VHS we had in the house...

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Anything with John Candy, especially Plains, Trains and Automobiles and Uncle Buck.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Anything by Studio Ghibli. Especially Spirited Away
The Iron Giant
The Nightmare Before Christmas
The Mask
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
The Secret of NIMH

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Aside from the really obvious ones, like Back To The Future and Jurassic Park, I liked Groundhog Day, Addams Family Values and Stargate.

At the age of 12 I was already into horror movies like Aliens, The Thing and The Fly. Would I show them to a 12-year-old? No. Should a 12-year-old even be able to watch this kind of stuff? Probably not. But even at that age I didn't find them deeply disturbing, just pleasantly scary.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies had been my favorites for about two years at that age, and I had just been introduced to The Fellowship of the Ring, which blew my mind. The closest I've come to being completely transported to another world through film.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

At 12, I was all about Gene Wilder--Willy Wonka and Young Frankenstein. Watched them over and over.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

All the 80s Schwarzeneggar/Stallone stuff. Alien/Aliens/The Abyss/Terminator would play well at that point. The Matrix definitely.

Would also be a good age to get them into Clint Eastwood with the Man with No Name Trilogy and Where Eagles Dare (a personal favorite).

Might be a little young for The Thing, but you could definitely get them into some of John Carpenter's lighter flicks, with Big Trouble in Little China/They Live/Escape from New York/LA.

The first 6 Star Treks. Pretty much anything with Bill Murray in it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, in 1981 at age 12, you saw a movie once in the theater, then maybe again years later on TV with commercials. TV shows were much more important, as you could actually invest something in them. Star Wars was important, but I had only seen it twice (once first run, then again on the re-release). I started to have the run of the adult side of the library around then, so science fiction and Horatio Hornblower became more important than films.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

When I was 12 it was 2006. I liked Star Wars of course, Back then I liked the prequels and the originals pretty much the same because I was fucking 12 of course, I saw Revenge of the Sith 3 times in the theater, but no one tell anyone about that okay.

My other big love at the time was King Kong (any of them) and pretty much any other movie with monsters in it.

Yes I'm a toddler.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Let's see, 12. Lot of Disney, won't lie. There is a fun film called Baby's Day Out that I enjoyed thoroughly with my parents. Star Wars, whenever my mom would let me sit down for 2 plus hours to watch it.

Others (in no particular order or significance)

Cool Runnings

Star Trek IV

Ten Commandments

Back to the Future

The Mask

Carpool

Can't thing of any others right now.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I agree with everyone's fine suggestions thus far.
I'll add:
Adventures in Babysitting
Need I say it: Goonies
Bill & Ted, 1 & 2 ("Bogus Journey" is the more kid oriented of the pair.)

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jurassic Park for sure - I went to the cinema shortly before I turned 12 and I remember it well because it was a date with a girl who lived down the road. Fantastic movie. I saw it a few months ago with some nephews and nieces and it still holds up well, one of those films that will always be a hit with everyone in the family on a sunday afternoon.

Then the obvious ones, I honestly don't remember how old I was when I first saw Star Wars, Star Trek, Jones etc. but I was watching them alot around this time. I think I was about this age when I saw Aliens for the first time. One of those negotiations with my mother, which in retrospect helped enormously overcome my fear of aliens which I'd already seen outside of the context of the movies, firstly because my elder brother had a big poster on the inside of his room door (for years I was afraid to walk past it, which was difficult because our rooms were next to each other) and second because I was reading the comic adaptation of the movie.

Oddly though, I definitely saw Predator at this age and that hadn't been an issue. I did get in trouble at school when quoting Hawkins' joke to some friends. Of course, I had no idea what they meant.

Last edited by redxavier (2014-11-30 20:07:21)

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Army of Darkness for sure. When you're 13 that's pretty much the greatest movie ever made

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I will just add that at age SIX, the original Gamera movies ruled smile

(and they didn't even have the horrible Sandy Frank dubbing!)

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We're all waiting for Owen to speak up.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

[as Owen] "How to Train Your Dragon"!

EDIT: Myself: Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band!

Last edited by Zarban (2014-12-01 00:53:01)

Oh this has reminded me of a more general question. I'm sure there are good ways and bad ways to introduce kids to Star Trek. It's okay if they don't like it. I tried out Doctor Who, Mission: Impossible (1960s), and The Adventures of Tin Tin on them to middling results.

But for Trek, do I try out TOS on them? Just show them Wrath of Khan? If you didn't grow up watching TOS reruns like I did, but you like Trek, how did you discover it? Teague has counseled that TNG will break an unprepared mind.

I watched a lot of Voyager on tv when I was in middle school and then transitioned to DS9 later on. I don't think I would have been interested in TOS or TNG at that age (or earlier) whatsoever.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Zarban wrote:

Teague has counseled that TNG will break an unprepared mind.

It didn't exactly break mine, but Season 1 made me an instant addict (I was 8 or 9 at the time, so any show with good spaceship effects would probably have that effect on me). It was my first Trek incarnation and still remains my favorite.

Zarban wrote:

But for Trek, do I try out TOS on them? Just show them Wrath of Khan?

TOS was an action-adventure show in its day, but it can feel too slow and dated to a kid of the 2010s. The Wrath Of Khan sounds like a good idea, it should be a pleasant start for anyone who liked the original Star Wars trilogy (the same era, similar VFX techniques etc.).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Absolutely start them with Wrath of Khan, I think that's the way to do it. 2,3,4, and 6 are a great thru-line.

I love Trek, and you still couldn't get me to sit through TNG without me wanting to shoot myself, a kid with no exposure to that will be soured on the series for good if you pull that.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I started with TOS, watching recorded episodes on VHS, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask wink

If you do TOS, do things like "Balance of Terror," "Corbomite Maneuver," "The Man Trap" and/or "Charlie X" to introduce the original cast. I think I rewatched Balance of Terror many times over when I was about 12. If they show interest, then other episodes can be shown.

Movies is like bullet3 said, and certainly a good way to test the waters is Wrath of Khan. Not really sure how to introduce TNG, but anything after season 3 worked for me-I can't remember which one was my hook. Certainly not season 1 hmm

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd maybe start kids off with Voyage Home? As that is the most fun and accessible.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I started with the reboot, then went back and did the original series/films, but if I'd had the chance to start with Khan, in retrospect I'd have taken it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

I can't remember which one was my hook. Certainly not season 1 hmm

As a child I didn't know any better big_smile Only some years later did I realize that Seasons 1 & 2 were bad.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down