Re: Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens Trailer (Spoilers)

You know what, I've come around on it, it plays way better on a proper larger screen.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

You know what, I've come around on it, it plays way better on a proper larger screen.

Yeah, going off that, the aesthetic that we are seeing so far looks really nice. It doesn't seem to have that super digital feel that we were talking in the chat about with Jurassic World, but it still feels like a natural evolution from the Original Trilogy, without going the ALL digital route of the prequels. I really like it. Plus a couple of the shots in there (*cough* The X-wings over the lake *cough*) are just absolutely stunning on a "this feels like a moving concept art" level.

EDIT: I'm trying to figure out how to put this into words... the best I can come up with is... This feels like what Star Wars should look and feel like in 2014. It seems to be balancing that used universe feel in HD while still feeling like a "real" movie (to use the parlance we were using in the JW convo). The more I watch the trailer the more I'm really loving how everything looks and feels, it just feels like a modern Space Fantasy Opera should. That's about as articulate as I can be on it.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2014-11-29 02:10:10)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

gzarra wrote:

Seeing Luke in the cockpit made my eyes light up.

I'm 999.99% sure that's not Luke. But the old-school Death Star Trench Run view rocked.

One thing I haven't seen anyone say yet is how meaning the Storm Troopers felt. Sure, the low, sporadic lighting and the quick editing helped sell it, but man, they actually felt like a truly terrifying, powerful military force. I know that that's how we've always supposed to have felt about them, but this is the first time I've actually felt that without it having to be explained to me why I should be frightened of them.

And man, Williams really came to work on this trailer. I heard it was being recorded here in LA a couple weeks back--glad it wasn't just a rumor.

Alex wrote:
gzarra wrote:

Seeing Luke in the cockpit made my eyes light up.

I'm 999.99% sure that's not Luke. But the old-school Death Star Trench Run view rocked.

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Also, that's not Luke in the cockpit, that's Oscar Isaac's character.

Compiled for succinctness.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I don't really get the big deal guys, this trailer here looks awful. Life star? Really? Who the fuck is a Dengar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etwJnVBHy9c

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Netball. Robot.

FFS.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What a great teaser. Looked interesting but without really showing us anything that would reveal too much. I love the X-wings and Falcon shots... and when the music and titles came up I realised I had a big smile on my face.

It still doesn't seem real somehow. Are we really getting a new Star Wars sequel this time next year?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Agreed on the restaint aesthetic point.  One of the reasons the lightsaber shot felt a little...off...to me.  A little  too 21st century in its sensibility.  The Falcon shot felt like this too, though it was cool.  Overall this looked more restrained than standard JJ.  Not a lot to go off of, but I hope he can keep it mostly conservative.

Also I'm an idiot, I walked around all day thinking that was Mark Hammil in the X wing.  Had no idea it was Llewyn Davis.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Llewyn Davis in an X-wing" was going to be the title of my latest fan-fiction novel until J.J. plagiarized me...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I have further thoughts, but I'll just quickly note that I held off from watching it online and saw it for the first time on an IMAX screen.

Shit was fantastic -- especially the X-Wings and Falcon.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

[video (unkown provider)]

Aside from being seriously cool, that is a damn impressive stabilization.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v93Jh6JNBng

Alright this is kinda genius.

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

It was kinda meh until ALL THE TIE FIGHTERS. That was legitimately hilarious.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

It looks so dense!

I enjoyed the appearance of Hayden's ghost and the insane amount of saber blades  big_smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And Davis dodging blaster shots in his x-wing cockpit smile

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jacob H wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v93Jh6JNBng

Alright this is kinda genius.

Agreed.

I watched the teaser. I am still full of reservations. Hopefully, I will be able to enjoy it (unlike Star Trek and ST Into Darkness). Lawrence Kasdan must be able to have some impact, right?

Some choice Phantom Menace Teaser Comments, to cool you down for the year-long wait : http://geektyrant.com/news/read-ridicul … er-trailer

Last edited by Jp12x (2014-12-01 17:12:28)

I post because I care.
  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
"Feel free to flame me. I don't like Legends of Korra or Gravity, either."

Xtroid wrote:

It looks so dense!

I thought it was like poetry.  When the landspeeder cuts across the water in front of the X-Wings, you know, it rhymes.

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There's not much in the teaser, but Plinkett made a video about it anyway (it's been already posted in the chat, but that's gonna disappear quickly).

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh thank God you guys generally seem to like/love it. I was worried for some reason, since the fandom in general, as expressed by the internet, seems to hate the thing and want to nitpick at it. Totally agree with the tone poem sentiment.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I think it is a lot of fun, and gives me hope for the type of tone that Abrams will bring to the next film.

Beyond that, there is not enough for me to go, "LOVE IT!" or "HATE IT!"

I will leave the hatred and hyperbole to the rest of the Interwebs big_smile

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/let-me-introduce-you-to-the-internet-meme.jpg

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

More or less my reaction:
http://i.imgur.com/UoghyJV.jpg

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

I wasn't even that kid growing up, but I damn well was while I was watching that trailer tongue

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Oh I sure as hell was the kid. Enjoyed the prequels too, well enough, though not at the same level as the OT.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I have no idea who created this, but someone needs to get this image in front of JJ Abrams -- stat.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--R42P1UC1--/osa5qfgnk2ypcpn8vdl9.jpg

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down