Re: SURPRISE! CHRISTMAS EPISODE! Firefly: "Serenity"

Just finished this commentary and enjoyed it thoroughly. Other comments will come later but for now I heart Teague so much for pronouncing "Mojave" the way he did smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

johnpavlich wrote:

Those are widely known as a Whedon Hat Trick.

This was much more impressive back in the day when it pretty much meant having been in all Whedons shows. How many people can say that?!

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Book's background, according to the comic The Shepherd's Tale is thus (don't read if you plan on reading the comic)- his real name is Henry Evans and was born into an abusive family. He ran away and turned to petty crime before being recruited by the Independents and volunteers to be a mole for the 'Browncoats'. Evans gets a video transmitter implanted into one of his eyes to record what he sees before killing a man called Derrial Book to steal his identity. He then joins a law enforcement agency before being recruited by the Alliance becoming a high-ranking officer over time. 'Book' intentionally jeopardises a mission, causing the death of thousands of Alliance soldiers and is discharged and dumped on a nearby planet in disgrace. A few years later, he is beaten to near death by Alliance soldiers for his part in the disaster and wakes up in a homeless shelter. It is here where Evans 'finds God' and joins a church becoming a Shepherd. After ten years, he becomes a missionary and joins the crew of the Serenity.

Had to take some of that from online but I knew most of it as I read the comic a couple of years ago.This is exactly what Whedon had planned for Book in the show over time.  The comic is told in flashbacks as Book remembers them when he is dying before Mal turns up in the Serenity movie. If I recall correctly, it is told out of order so you don't really find out about him killing a dude and taking his identity until towards the end of the book......

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Great episode

Made me revisit the series and I'm probably going to go through the commentaries too when/if I have the time in the next few weeks.

Favorite episodes: Out of Gas, Objects in Space, Jaynestown
Favorite characters: Mal (if he's eligible) Jane, River
Favorite quote: I aim to misbehave!

I had never heard about Inara´s medical condition before, it makes perfect sense when you hear about it though.

http://ashdigital.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/firefly-star-trek.jpg

http://sheldoncomics.com/strips/sd120419.png

Firefly 80's style

This one is going to get some forum members goat. Firefly and Prometheus exist in the same universe.

p.s. I don't think Tom Clancy was the inventor of Crazy Ivan, neither the name or the manoeuvre. The term can be found in Cold War literature long before Tom Clancy wrote about it (USS Parche crewman wrote about the term years before TC used it). It's a little like Ctrl+Alt+Delete, David Bradley wrote it into the code it but Bill Gates made it famous.

Last edited by AshDigital (2012-12-28 08:48:00)

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Assuming you accept ALIEN and PROMETHEUS exist in the same universe.

Which I don't. mad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

AshDigital wrote:

Wow, that picture reminds me just how much I love Jewel Staite.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

Assuming you accept ALIEN and PROMETHEUS exist in the same universe.

Which I don't. mad

Thank you.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

AshDigital wrote:

p.s. I don't think Tom Clancy was the inventor of Crazy Ivan, neither the name or the manoeuvre. The term can be found in Cold War literature long before Tom Clancy wrote about it (USS Parche crewman wrote about the term years before TC used it).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baffles_%28submarine%29

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:
AshDigital wrote:

Wow, that picture reminds me just how much I love Jewel Staite.

Can I have this show if I can't have Firefly back?

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This commentary was a lot of fun. Thanks, guys.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool