Topic: 2014 Oscar Shortlists

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: 2014 Oscar Shortlists

I guess this means I get to spend a few hours rebuilding that list for our voting.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

holden

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

(Holden is the boy.)

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-07.gif?w=650

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Well I had no plan of seeing DOTPOTA, but now i guess that gif convinced me otherwise.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It wasn't my laugh when I suddenly — unrelated to what anybody was saying — remembered that shot?

It kind of sounds like I'm laughing at what Trey is saying, but in this case I'm not. I was just struck by the mental image of that gif for the first time since seeing the film.

(In case the timecode jump doesn't work, 18:58.)

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There's no obvious stand-out like Gravity this year, so I'd be surprised if The Hobbit doesn't get best VFX as a recognition to the trilogy. It hasn't won yet (Life of Pi won against Hobbit 1). Dawn of the Planet of the Apes will be a close contender as the creature acting was superb. Weta v Weta.

I don't think Interstellar was that impressive from a VFX viewpoint. We've seen all that done better elsewhere e.g. Gravity.

Yes, Noah was robbed, but everything in Edge of Tomorrow was mid-budget standard CG fare. Nothing remarkable.

So my three finalists would be Hobbit, Apes and Godzilla.

And yes, fuck Transformers.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't think Interstellar was that impressive from a VFX viewpoint. We've seen all that done better elsewhere e.g. Gravity.

The thing is, though, Interstellar is basically the polar opposite to Gravity in terms of VFX—where the latter is entirely CG, the former is pretty much all practical effects work, which we haven't seen in a space movie in a long damn time. Plus, as the guys discussed on the episode, it just has that art-house classy kind of look to it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Darth Praxus wrote:

pretty much all practical effects

This myth has to stop getting thrown around. Totally false statement.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

paulou wrote:
Darth Praxus wrote:

pretty much all practical effects

This myth has to stop getting thrown around. Totally false statement.

Totally right to call me out on that, that was far too broadly worded a statement. What I should have said was all the ship shots (though is that part of the myth as well? I haven't looked at much behind the scenes stuff, but what I did read seemed to indicate that all the ship shots were practical--my bad if they werent). Black hole and tesseract and planet shots and whatnot obviously weren't practical, and I should have said as much.

TL;DR version, sorry for the uninformed overly broad comment and thanks for the correction.

Last edited by Abbie (2014-12-19 22:17:52)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

For Interstellar, I would also say, if you didn't see it in 70mm Imax, you can't judge the effects work. That may seem harsh, but having seen it both ways, there's just no comparison. The experience of Interstellar with the full vertical framing was way superior to anything in Gravity for me, even if Gravity was doing much more technically sophisticated things. Yes, the blackhole/workhole sequences are CG, but they've also got model and full-scale practical ships and robots, not to mention actually throwing massive clouds of dust around, filming in Iceland, etc. That stuff goes a long way. Ultimately, whatever the mix of practical and cg was on Interstellar, the end result is breathtaking and I don't see it losing the oscar. Remember, it's not just purely about tech, it's how it's applied to convey an experience.

Edit: Also, no way in hell Hobbit will win anything. Those movies are incredibly ugly, and still despite all the tech look like fake video-game cut-scenes half the time

Last edited by bullet3 (2014-12-19 22:27:00)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

Remember, it's not just purely about tech, it's how it's applied to convey an experience.

I haven't seen Interstellar yet, but holy shit this. Always this. ALWAYS FUCKING THIS.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

bullet3 wrote:

For Interstellar, I would also say, if you didn't see it in 70mm Imax, you can't judge the effects work. That may seem harsh, but having seen it both ways, there's just no comparison. The experience of Interstellar with the full vertical framing was way superior to anything in Gravity for me, even if Gravity was doing much more technically sophisticated things. Yes, the blackhole/workhole sequences are CG, but they've also got model and full-scale practical ships and robots, not to mention actually throwing massive clouds of dust around, filming in Iceland, etc. That stuff goes a long way. Ultimately, whatever the mix of practical and cg was on Interstellar, the end result is breathtaking and I don't see it losing the oscar. Remember, it's not just purely about tech, it's how it's applied to convey an experience.

Edit: Also, no way in hell Hobbit will win anything. Those movies are incredibly ugly, and still despite all the tech look like fake video-game cut-scenes half the time

While I have no doubt about Interstellar's chances, I will disagree about the Hobbit, especially the latest installment. But, I also have little eye for such things, and appreciate CGI only has far as it impacts the story and world.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

I saw Interstellar in 70mm and Imax. One screening was ruined by an atrocious dialogue track. But both were not as sharp as a digitally shot movie projected digitally. I think Nolan's flogging a dead horse with film. Digital in 2014 has tipped the balance, and is now unequivocally sharper than (even IMAX) film and will only improve as sensors go to 8K and beyond. Film loses something in the mastering, copying, and scanning process.
As for Interstellar's VFX work: it was alright, but nothing NEW in the sense that Gravity was pushing the envelope. Most of the Ranger shots weren't that interesting i.e. camera mounted to a fuselage giving the same view over and over again, whether it's the launch, or flying or landing. I suppose Nolan was going for a 'grounded' look. Fair enough, but my jaw didn't drop.

Also, for all of Nolan's experience with IMAX, he doesn't seem to edit with IMAX in mind. Such a large frame needs fewer shaky close-ups and longer times between cuts. Alfonso Cuaron got it perfect for Gravity - with the long takes.

Sure, Interstellar may get the Oscar for its prestige value as the guys said. But it didn't break any new ground, like, say Matrix's bullet time, or LOTR's Gollum, or Life of Pi's creature work, or Gravity's lighting box.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I saw Interstellar in 70mm and Imax. One screening was ruined by an atrocious dialogue track. But both were not as sharp as a digitally shot movie projected digitally. I think Nolan's flogging a dead horse with film. Digital in 2014 has tipped the balance, and is now unequivocally sharper than (even IMAX) film and will only improve as sensors go to 8K and beyond. Film loses something in the mastering, copying, and scanning process.

You'll hear no argument from me there, though I actually liked the semi-grainy look; I don't know if this was intentional, but it fit the almost documentary feel that stuff like the fuselage shots emulated. I'm sure a lot of that is just my fondness for "ineffable" older stuff speaking, though--I own a vinyl collection and everything, after all. I'm very much in favor of bringing practical effects and sets back as much as possible, but film is a hill that really shouldn't be died upon, as much as I love watching movies shot that way.

Last edited by Abbie (2014-12-20 16:46:39)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

I have to disagree. Most movies shot on digital are still incredibly ugly. Just compare Dumb and Dumber, which was obviously shot on film, to the recent sequel. There's a clear visual difference. I'm not saying Dumb and Dumber requires the majestical warm glow that film provides, but I'll take it over the bright and shiny and boring images of most digital film. If you're David Fincher or someone like him, you're capable of using digital cinematography's glossy, plasticky sheen to great effect. Look at Gone Girl. That's a film for which digital cinematography is thematically appropriate. But you need to actually use it with a knowledge and purpose. It's not ever going to automatically look better than film. "Sharpness" is all well and good, but that's not the end-all-be-all, you know? And besides, film stock captures images at a much, much higher resolution than digital is capable of. 70mm IMAX is something crazy like 18K.

I know I sound like a pretentious douchebag, but this is not just some ineffable visual feeling that digital projection can't replicate. I mean, that's part of it, sure. But what it comes down to is that, objectively speaking, film is a better medium. Even when it comes to film preservation. 100 years from now, we'll probably have lost more than a few 2014 films because they never got transferred to whatever the newest digital medium is. But there'll still be prints of Interstellar around, ready to be scanned and transferred.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I am suddenly reminded of an argument in a comic called CAGES, between two Jazz musicians:

"Are you seriously telling me that 4/4 time is better than 3/4 time?!"
"[pause] Yes."

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

I chortled.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

(3/4 time is better.)

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Invid wrote:

I am suddenly reminded of an argument in a comic called CAGES, between two Jazz musicians:

"Are you seriously telling me that 4/4 time is better than 3/4 time?!"
"[pause] Yes."

Look, if you'd just read my 200-page dissertation and listen to my 10-hour lecture series, I really think you'd see things my way.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Y'all are philistines. 5/4 or nothing.

And if nothing, it better be 4 minutes and 33 seconds worth

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

5/4 is basically 2/4 being hugged by 3/4, so I'll allow it.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

So, I made this for my friends' podcast, reviewing 2014's movies. I really don't know why I did it this way. It just popped into my head and I decided to have fun with it.
So, here you go.

(I dunno if you have some kind of Grand National equivalent in the U.S., but I guess it's clear from context.)

I love the fuck out of this.

Do more.

Do this for other things in vague competition with each other.

...then do some shitty whiteboard animation and make a webseries and make money.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down