Re: The "Help Me!" Thread

Buy a Flip off Kijiji?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So I picked this lens up from a thrifty for 2 bucks, but I can't figure out what mount it is to see if I can get an adapter to throw it on my M4/3. So I'm throwing it out there to see if anyone can recognize it on sight.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o251/maul2/P1030814_zpsc422cf79.jpg~original
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o251/maul2/P1030811_zpse8e70ed3.jpg~original

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Maybe Canon FD?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dvF8uJbqUDs/TsvnBQWu0XI/AAAAAAAAClg/SjBOEMczk9g/s1600/CA+non+BL.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I found myself in a situation where I'm gonna have to start making a lot of international calls soon. Even though I do a lot of typing in English (which isn't my primary language) I don't get to talk much. So if anyone would fancy chatting about randomness on Skype for a bit every now and then so I can get some practice I'd appreciate it smile

My Skype id is lamer_x23

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Does anyone happen to have a Shutterstock.com account with some extra downloads they don't need? My idea of what the cover of my current story will be has changed, and I'm considering a photo of a European Roller. Naturally, for that I need a picture of the bird I have the rights to. I have no problem paying, but my usual site has nothing and Shutterstock is a bit expensive. If anyone knows of another source, that could work too smile

http://www.shutterstock.com/cat.mhtml?l … amp;color=

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Will any of these on Flickr do? CC licence, commercial use and modifications allowed.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=bir … ense=4%2C5

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lamer wrote:

I found myself in a situation where I'm gonna have to start making a lot of international calls soon. Even though I do a lot of typing in English (which isn't my primary language) I don't get to talk much. So if anyone would fancy chatting about randomness on Skype for a bit every now and then so I can get some practice I'd appreciate it smile

My Skype id is lamer_x23

When I have my primary computer back that has webcam I will see if we can make the connection.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Don't worry about the webcam, I don't have one either tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I added you yesterday.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lamer wrote:

Don't worry about the webcam, I don't have one either tongue

Yeah, but the audio pick up on this old one sucks. Not exactly the best for chatting when we are trying to practice English wink

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6880931840/h8D3706D8/

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Phi wrote:

Will any of these on Flickr do? CC licence, commercial use and modifications allowed.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=bir … ense=4%2C5

Hmm... I've avoided all things Flickr, but this may do. Thank you, Sir.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gonna agree with the FD mount. There's a small fiddly bit that looks different on yours but otherwise it's the closest match I've seen on a few Google results (and Sam F's pic comes from one of those results, soooo....).

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Yeah, I think I have to agree with the FD diagnosis. As far as I can, that extra little fiddly bit just locks the iris open... not sure how or why that would be useful.... but that's what it does.

So cool, I'll have to look into an FD mount for my M43.

Thanks guys big_smile

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Here's one for my Premiere Pro peeps:
I've shot two performances of the same dance recital. The first show is 6 cameras in one sequence so I can sync them up. Second show, same cameras, second sequence.

The idea is to edit out any mistakes in the dancing by cutting between performances/sequences 1 and 2. So I have a third master sequence with the first two on the Video 1 and Video 2 lines. The pace of the performance was different, i.e. the delays between the starts of each dance number are different, so I have made cuts and slips in the clip(s) that refer back the 2nd show's sequence to sync up the music between the two performances on my master timeline. 1st show is intact, no cuts, as a skeleton for now.

Now my problem is that I want to change my workflow, and bring all of the cameras in to a single master sequence, 12 tracks in all. BUT if I do that I will have to re-sync 6 of the 2nd show's cameras to the other 6. The potential for fucking that up makes me hesitate and wonder why I can't just somehow duplicate all of my cuts and slips previously made on the 2nd show's clips in my 2-show master sequence.

I'm over-thinking this, but there are a lot of cuts to make in a lot of clips if I just take one for the team and start over. I think I can play some save-as games and re-import 6 times to get each camera isolated within a cut-and-slipped sequence, but I'm hoping someone has a simpler solution that I'm not seeing.

EDIT
I figured it was a longshot. For the record: I saved a clone of the project and isolated the two sequences that concerned me. Then I repeated these steps for each camera: deleted out the other 5 cameras, gave the sequences new descriptive names and saved another temp copy of the project, then reopened the project clone. When I had 5 such temp projects, I imported those specific sequences back into the original project and nested them into my 12 cam master. Took a bit of a file size hit, about a 50% increase, but it's otherwise working out well. About 20 minutes to make it happen, including typing up this post.

Last edited by drewjmore (2014-07-13 21:25:24)

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Any composers around?
I've wrapped video post on Whoish part 3, it's 6 minutes long, plus credits, and I'm looking to get original music for it. As it stands now, there's temp music from Doctor Who, and while I think it fits, I'd rather get someone to write some great, original stuff instead.

As for picture quality, it was shot on raw, and LOOKS great. The acting is all me, so I guess that's great too, and I've heard it's a quite good piece. (By Owen, Faldor and Mastermike, at least). We're currently working on ADR, but again, there's the music.

Unfortunately, I'm not full of cash, and if I were, I'd gladly pay, but I can't, so I won't. I also understand that nobody really wants to work for free, but I figured this'd be the perfect place to ask.

PM me for details and a copy of the short as it stands now.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tomahawk wrote:

Any composers around?

Hi there, I'm Alex. PM sent.

And replied

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hello fellow writers,

my wife and I are looking to supplement our income through at home work due to medical issues. Are there any places to connect to that pay for writing? I know there are a lot of scams out there, as well as that there is not much that will pay a lot, but anything helps.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My writing income is from Patreon.com, where people donate money whenever I post a free story or chapter. You have to build an audience first, and the prolific will make the most (although patrons set limits on how much they're willing to give each month). What you want to write will determine where you can post, naturally. If it's fiction, there are lots of places. Non-fiction, who knows.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So, recently I've been writing two (ish) papers, and a PhD proposal outlining my work. And it's become pretty clear that I have tunnel vision and things that are obvious to me are not obvious to people who aren't part of a phylogenetics (evolutionary trees) lab.

I figure since y'all obviously have an understanding of good narrative structure (podcast... duh), and you're not in my usual circle of friends (who are mostly biologists), somebody here would be interested in occasionally reading through my work?
Not the usual typos-and-grammar thing, don't worry about that. I'd like a non-biologist to read though and tell me "i have no idea what this concept is and you didn't bother to explain it" or "i don't understand the point of what you're doing here" or "this idea doesn't follow, or contradicts, what came before" etc. I wanna make sure that the papers I write have a logical flow to them, and that there is a clarity to my ideas.

Would anybody be interested in that? My work uses evolutionary trees to make predictions about species/communities, and then we compare them to the real world. No molecular stuff, there's a minimum of number-stuff or tedious methodological detail, so don't worry about that. It's mainly trying to tell a story using ideas.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

I would volunteer as tribute, but I warn you that I hate reading papers. I aspire to be the sort of person that actually likes reading papers, but I am not that person. They're just largely so....barren of humanity. I think it's a language thing. It's science people! It won't be offended! Lighten up!

So if I like your paper, that might be a bad sign...or maybe a good one?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Phi, I know exactly what you mean. Papers aren't written to be readable, they're written to get published. And the peer review thing... boy howdy, I am not looking forward to getting to that stage and "playing the game".

I really wish we didn't have to be "all business, no pleasure" though. A lot of 19th/early-20th century papers are so convivial and expressive in their language, but they still got science done.

(I know I have to play by the rules for my thesis and getting these papers published, but I also think I'm just gonna end up writing less stuffy versions so my friends can read them.)

Thanks for the offer (I think that's an offer, right?)! I'll try and keep the dryness to a minimum and when I've got a good draft done, I'll let y'all know.

Last edited by Herc (2014-11-12 03:06:10)

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

I'm curious.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

<Curious George narrator> Teague was curious </Curious George narrator>

Yep it's an offer if you want it. Don't get me started on the dreadful state of the peer review system...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I shot a film last fall, a dark comedy thriller thing. I've got a fairly final edit in place, I've just handed it off to my composer so he can get started, and I'm working on the color correction and a few simple VFX shots. The big hurdle is the audio clean-up and sound-mixing. I've never had much talent for audio, so I was wondering if anybody around here would be interested in doing my sound for me. You will be paid something for sure, we can discuss an amount but I can't afford for it to be a LOT. If anybody's interested in PM-ing me some samples or something, I'll let you watch the rough cut before you commit to it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down