Topic: Hey, Whatcha playin'?

We have the "What are you watching" and "What are you reading" topics, but nobody's made a game related thread!

Right now, I'm plowing through Assassin's Creed Unity. Completed the main story, which is too predictable, and filled with flat characters. The online bit is fun when it works, but not enough to keep me coming back to it. Sure, it has its flaws, and some bugs, but I never cared about that. If a game is fun, why care about the bugs, unless, of course, they're gamebreakers.
The graphics of ACUnity is pretty sweet, and traversing Paris in the French Revolution is cool, but still not as great as Venice, Florence and Forli from AC2, but it's still fun.

I'm also still playing The Last Of Us - Remastered, and the online bit is actually what keeps bringing me back. It's a great multiplayer, that for some reason, keeps me hooked. I think I've played more online in that game than any other, sans games that are primarily multiplayer/online (Diablo 2/3). Great story, if you're that guy, great graphics, excellent world, brilliant music, terrific acting. Best game this year, even if it came out on the PS3 originally last year.

I'm getting Dragon Age Inquisition for Christmas(Because I know mostly what I'm getting, what?), which, based on reviews and gameplay videos, I'm really stoked for. And I never finished Origins, nor did I even play Dragon Age 2.

LittleBigPlanet 3 is also top of my list of games to get this holiday season.

If you're on PSN, have a PS3/4 and wanna play around, my PSN ID is "tomellingsen".

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Hey, Whatcha playin'?

*cough*

*cough*

I think this is becoming annual.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Can we rename each thread as 2012 edition, 2013 edition, etc.?

Also, playing through Fallout New Vegas and will be starting Skyrim next.

New Vegas has turned out to be more frustrating, so I don't hit it as often as I did Halo 4. Hoping the story picks up more soon, if not, Skyrim will come early smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We should have a directory thread.

I did a bit more with AC IV Black Flag in anticipation of Rogue. I got the latter for Christmas and am looking forward to the reversed take on the series.

Some friends and I have started getting together somewhat regularly to play different games. Artemis started it, I posted a video in that thread*: http://friendsinyourhead.com/forum/view … 401#p54401

(Well, I thought I had, but apparently not. Fixed now, obviously.)

I've also been playing some mobile games, particularly along the Clash of Clans style: Age of Empires Castle Siege and Star Wars Commander. Bit of a long shot, but is anybody playing either of those? Wouldn't mind joining an alliance with people.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I still play the occasional Lord Of The Rings - Battle For Middle Earth II : Rise of the Witch-King with my brother.
It runs on the same engine as Command & Conquer Generals, if you were ever into that. (I was. Actually, I should find my copy of that..)

As Expected, I got Dragon Age Inquisition, and I must say it's brilliant. It's kind of a mix of RPG's I've grown up with, in sense of play style, although I've never been a fan of that "MMO" fighting thing. As in abilities assigned to buttons or hotkeys. Those who know me, know I've been indoctrinated to Final Fantasy since I was a toddler, so I'm used to picking an attack or ability from a list. But it's not exactly a dealbreaker.

LittleBigPlanet 3 was also tucked under the tree, and although it's not getting as much playtime as DAI, it's pretty good too. If you've played the other two, it's a solid continuation, and if you've never played them, it's a good place to start.

I also now (finally) got Garry's Mod on steam, and my current username on steam is tomellingsen2 (or ddlocke@gmail.com), if you want to play some time.

(edit)
On a side note, I played GTA5 last year when it was released, and played the online mode for a solid 2 days before getting tired of it. I was waiting for heists, and never got them, and it sucked.
But now that they've released it for PS4, it's got First Person Mode, and heists are finally coming, so I'm thinking of picking that up again.

When I finally grow tired of Last Of Us, anyway, which is never. The only reason I haven't played it this holiday, is because apparently, PSN is down.

Last edited by Tomahawk (2014-12-28 12:49:30)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, great. Now I want to play C&C. Thanks, Tom wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, I never cared much for the regular C&C or Red Alert, but Generals (Zero Hour)caught my attention. Still fun to play, and I'm still pretty good at it, too!

On a side note: testing Garry's Mod. I UNDERSTAND NOTHING!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Got sucked into Elite: Dangerous, somehow. Not sure how, it just happened, and now I've got a small cargo hauler stripped down to hold the max amount and three quarters of a million credits. And a cramp in my hand from all the joystick use. giggity

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Am currently completely addicted to XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and as soon as I've completed it I'll be downloading the Long War mod and starting all over again. Send help.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

XCOM is great fun and terribly addictive. I can't remember how I kicked the habit, maybe it was another even more addictive game!

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You have to just burn through XCOM. It will consume your life for 100 hours, and then suddenly when you're done, you'll never have the urge to play it again.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I never got XCOM. As in, I never got bitten by the bug. I tried for an hour or so, just wasn't my thing.

I wound up playing Dragon age for a little over 100 hours in less than a month. Which is damn much, considering I have a full time job, and kids. I've no idea how I managed to cram it all in there, but I did, and I regret nothing. It's one of the best RPG's I've ever played, and I've started the game all over again, to play a different class, and as a more sinister character.

I also now hate AC Unity. It took me awhile to get to that point, but I almost can't stand it anymore. I got the Expansion/DLC "Dead Kings", and while I was playing about halfway through it, I realised I wasn't even having fun. I was just playing it because it was free, and I wanted some new gear/weapons. That's it.

However, upon playing it, I realised there was a slight chance I shouldn't have skipped AC4, and after looking at 5 reviews that all gave it 9.x/10, I bought it. It's downloading now, and I'm actually exited.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I have an unhealthy Binding of Isaac addiction. I got Real Platinum God a month or two ago and I still play at least an hour a day. I need help.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Why is this thread turning in to a Gamer's Anonymous session?

http://www.minority-review.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/wreck-it-ralph-villains_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpeg

This is why I no longer spend money on videos...it goes too freaking fast!

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, Mr Longpre, I don't know about you, but my name's freely available in my signature tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh hey this thread.

I've been playing Mass Effect 1 as a continuation of my "BDA didn't play games growing up so he missed all the important awesome one's" LP thing. I'm about 8-9ish hours in at the moment, and loving the ever living hell out of it.

It took me a bit to kinda figure it out, I'd never played a game structured like that before (lots of exploring and dialouge trees and negotiation and stuff like that...with a bit of fighting here and there) so it took me a bit to wrap my head around and find a play style that worked for me and for LPing it. But i think I've got the hang of it for the most part, and I am having a massive amount of fun with it.

Outside that, I'm still working my way through Cloudbuilt (Rocket powered parkour), and I've only got a couple of ridiculously hard levels left in the main game before I move onto the DLC, so at this point it's basically a guarantee that anytime I play it there is voluminous amounts of swearing. But it's fun...okay finally finished one of those **********'n levels is really fun. *ahem*

I also just wrapped up Half Life 1, which...unfortunately the last couple hours of gameplay and the final boss sorta soured my memory of the game a bit. It just felt like a let down, game design wise. A) Being massively frustrating in a "I have no f-ing clue what I'm supposed to be doing" sort of way, seemingly by design, paired with B) Half Life 1 era game mechanics. I basically just got super angry at the game by the end of the boss battle in a massive f- you for existing sort of way. Which is unfortunate, because most things aside, the rest of the game was really fun (as long as you have a really high tolerance for bullshit game physics.... I swear man, ladders outweigh every single enemy in that game for number of deaths caused.)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Tomahawk wrote:

Well, Mr Longpre, I don't know about you, but my name's freely available in my signature tongue

Foiled again!

(I really had no other reply to that) wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Last week, Steam had a preposterous sale on Square Enix games, which meant all 3 Deus Ex games for under $10, and all 11 (!) Tomb Raider games for under $20.
So I've been playing the original Tomb Raider (1996... oh my god) and you know, it's still perfectly playable and enjoyable.
And also playing the Tomb Raider reboot (2013) which, my gosh, that is a really good game. Definitely recommend it.

It was fun to just load them up in order of release and play a minute of each of them, just to see the progression in graphics (nice infographic here) . It's amazing how far we've come. There's more polygons in Lara's 2013 hair than in the entirety of 1996 Lara.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Herc, I can't wait to hear your details on the Deus Ex games big_smile

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t159/JCDentonDX/DeusEx/deus-ex.jpg

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Heh, I've played the first game about a half-dozen times. That is a stone-cold classic! Really loved Human Revolution, thought it was amazing, but have only played the 2nd game once. Remember liking it well enough, but being annoyed by the ending (which really smacked of "getting close to release date, let's just throw everyone into one arena and just let them shoot each other until the cutscene"). But whatever, I got a hell of a deal and I'm looking forward to doing the whole trilogy again!

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Though I don't plan on doing full Let's Play videos for it, I did record a video in Elite: Dangerous a couple days ago. In the forum for the game, three times were set up on the 12th, Lincoln's birthday, to meet outside of the station named after him.

The game isn't on centralized servers, instead managing peer-to-peer connections for small groups of people to see each other. My particular time (first video) I didn't get anybody in my instance. Another instance got eight or nine, which is a lot. I really enjoyed the second video posted here; CMDR Virgil Kyle was at two different meetups and read the Gettysburg Address at each.

Herc wrote:

Heh, I've played the first game about a half-dozen times. That is a stone-cold classic! Really loved Human Revolution, thought it was amazing, but have only played the 2nd game once. Remember liking it well enough, but being annoyed by the ending (which really smacked of "getting close to release date, let's just throw everyone into one arena and just let them shoot each other until the cutscene"). But whatever, I got a hell of a deal and I'm looking forward to doing the whole trilogy again!

I liked the second one ok (have it for Xbox) but it left a lot to be desired. Actually, what was interesting, is that the producers hosted a discussion about what they thought they did wrong there. Interesting, but a lot of technical talk too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGIdYl2oN74

Also, still need to finish up Human Revolution but  do like the overall play style and visual aesthetic. The story has been a little interesting but having trouble getting through Detroit PD. Hacking mini-game is a bit hit and miss smile

http://www.picgifs.com/games-gifs/games-gifs/deus-ex-human-revolution/picgifs-deus-ex-human-revolution-09839.gif

http://www.picgifs.com/games-gifs/games-gifs/deus-ex-human-revolution/picgifs-deus-ex-human-revolution-102594.gif

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

Actually, what was interesting, is that the producers hosted a discussion about what they thought they did wrong there. Interesting, but a lot of technical talk too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGIdYl2oN74

That is excellent! I always get a huge kick out of seeing people talk really frankly about the projects they've worked on. Thanks for sharing that!

Glad too. My friend and I are huge Deus Ex fans, but the 2nd one was always kind of hit and miss. I think the world building is fantastic (think it would be a great MMO) but the overall story isn't quite there. But, I'll let you decide wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Herc, you asshole. You don't open a post with "LAST WEEK, steam had a sale". You advertise the sale that's going on now, fool!

Anyhoo, I got so pissed off at Assassin's Creed Unity a couple of weeks ago, I decided to find out whether or not I skipped the wrong game(wrong in this case being AC4: Black Flag). To my surprise, I was indeed correct. AC4: Black Flag is tied with AC2 as the best game in the series. And it's hella fun!

Also, finally, in the wake of Dragon Age Inquisition, we picked up LittleBigPlanet 3 a little while ago. It's fun, but compared to the other two; a tad too hard. There's 3 new characters(Toggle, who can toggle between large and heavy, and small and light, Swoop, a bird, and finally, Oddsock, a wall-running dog-like thing). The learning curve for all three new characters is a bit steep, leaving you baffled, and unable to complete it on your own.

I did play a fair bit of Deus Ex way back in the day. Never got around to Invisible War, as it wasn't widely released in Norway, and the peer 2 peer networks back then didn't have quite the selection.
As for Human Revolution, I have it installed on my PS3, and did play an hour or two, before letting it go. I guess it's not my kind of game anymore.

Thumbs up Thumbs down