Topic: Star Wars: Winter Trench Run

First, the video, because if I put it at the bottom of the post you'll spend more time reading than watching.

It's always great to realize that the seed of thought in your head can become a full project very easily.

In this case, the seed of thought was me asking Steph, "Do the high snowbanks on the side of our road remind you of the Death Star trench?" (Answer: "Yeah!")

I'd had the thought for a couple of weeks but decided this week that it was something I could do. I downloaded a Trench Run video from YouTube (1977 vs. SE comparison*) and cut up the sections I wanted to use, made easier by the first two runs not being scored at all. It was shot on a cloudy, snowy day on Saturday and on sunny days Sunday and today (Monday). And dammit I'm really happy with how it turned out.

I ended up shooting this entirely with my GoPro Hero 3 Black. 90% because I had to - mounting the camera both inside and outside of the cars and the only suction cup mount I have is for the small action cam - and the remaining 10% because at that point, why the hell not.

So anyways, I hope you all enjoy! If someone with a Reddit account would like to drop this where it'd be appropriate to do so, that'd be awesome (or just tell me where that'd be, might make an account just to post this).

*Turns out this was sped up slightly to get past the automatic copyright detection, but by the time I bothered to check I was so far along in the edit I felt it wasn't worth it.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Re: Star Wars: Winter Trench Run

Really well done Boter. Nice number plate btw!

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I love this in principle, sight unseen until later...

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dammit, that's cool. I want our next community project to be something like this.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Ooh, I'm down. Cockpit scenes like this lend themselves very easily to shot-for-shot remakes like this; if we were to do other scenes, we'd have to take more liberties. But I mean, Battles of Hoth and Endor, totally doable (though exterior shots would need a few more resources). And that's just Star Wars. I'm sure there are plenty of other such movies (or TV shows) that would do just as well.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Hell. The talent in this communiry we could write our own fight sequence and shoot it ourselves. Xwing road trip tongue

Hold on...i gotta go write a thing...

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Shared on the 501st Legion's page (they were just discussing the similarity between snow and the trench themselves). Also, all the yes to X-Wing road trip.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

http://geek-news.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/deluxe-at-at.jpg
Boter, I got your Hoth exteriors covered.

BigDamnArtist wrote:

Hell. The talent in this communiry we could write our own fight sequence and shoot it ourselves. Xwing road trip tongue

Hold on...i gotta go write a thing...

I am so down. When the road trip movie came out, I was so sad I hadn't seen it in time to participate.
Plus, the camera loves my car.

Last edited by Vapes (2015-02-19 14:53:18)

"Defending bad movies is VaporTrail's religion."
-DorkmanScott

I have my snowspeeder from when I was younger. It even looks like it got shot down!

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Good job, Boter!!!! Excellent stuff!

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Didn't end up watching this until just now, and...

...god damn it, man, I love you. Everything about that was perfect.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also, am I absolutely insane, or... there weren't two-guys-to-a-fighter in the X-Wings, were there? Right? This is an invention of yours for this video, right? Because if it was meant to be clear in Star Wars that each ship had a pilot and a navigator, that was totally lost on me.

I mean, A-wings, yeah. But X-Wings?

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The video portrays Y-Wings, but those aren't two-guys-to-a-fighter either. It's a creative choice.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That is an absolutely awesome idea and you've pulled it off very well! Loved the use of the dog for the Rebel Base cutbacks.

As for an X-Wing road trip? I'm in.

EE Squadron, standing by...

EDIT: Posted on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/commen … rench_run/

Last edited by Owen_Ward (2015-02-19 19:15:00)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I do believe A-wings are for one pilot only as well. Ain't they?

I mean, the Lego set is. This must be some kind of proof.

Last edited by Saniss (2015-02-19 19:16:29)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I believe so. My Lego A-Wing only fits in one minifig after all tongue

EDIT: Dammit Saniss...

Last edited by Owen_Ward (2015-02-19 19:17:20)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Vapes, I've got one of those too, love it big_smile

Teague, All X-wings and the Y-wings at Yavin are one-man fighters, I believe called out as such by Dodonna during the briefing as something the Empire hadn't planned on. I just did front seat / back seat since we only had two vehicles at our disposal, plus having fewer at all times just made it less to coordinate up and down my dead-end street. (I'm sure any neighbors that were paying attention, though, are now more convinced of my weirdness.)

Tom, the video actually takes cuts from both the Y-wing run and the first X-wing run. I'll probably release a side-by-side tomorrow. And Owen, I'm particularly happy that my dog looked over his shoulder because I was able to match it to Leia doing the same thing in that shot tongue

And hell yes X-wing road trip.

Last edited by Boter (2015-02-19 20:32:41)

The dog staring out the window made everyone in my household laugh uncontrollably. Great stuff.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Y wings are the only real fighters that have two pilots (pilot and a gunner).

There are single pilot and double pilot variations of Y-Wings, dating back to the concept art, I believe. Or maybe that two seater Lego set wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lego IS the Star Wars equivalent of proof reading, yes.

...Maybe except for the Falcon, I guess.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

The UCS version, however...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I made a side-by-side of Winter Trench Run with my working edit.

I'm glad everyone's enjoying it... particularly Ronon's cameos.

All that being said - does someone want to take the helm of the X-wing road trip project? I wouldn't mind starting the thread and trying to organize it but I don't have any story (/ story excuse) ideas at the moment.

Is Battle of Hoth too ambitious?

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I thought about that. It's definitely doable from a snowspeeder perspective, the trick is figuring out our AT-AT analogues - or if we're just hooning around empty parking lots and compositing in Power of the Force / Action Fleet / LEGO / CG walkers afterward tongue

...Which I'm totally down for.

I was legit considering offering to head up, but I'm still trying to figure if I'll have anything even remotely approaching time. I don't think I will.

Although I still really like the idea of doing a custom written battle, and continue the tradition of cramming as many inside jokes in as possible. tongue

ZangrethorDigital.ca