Topic: Blade Runner

Macro mentioned in this episode:

http://www.friendsinyourhead.com/images/genius.jpg

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Blade Runner

Thank you! Been looking forward to listening to this before my expiry date.

On the Edge of Blade Runner (complementing the 3.5 hour DANGEROUS DAYS making of)... by Mark Kermode...

Last edited by avatar (2015-02-19 16:58:59)

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You got the pitch meeting about shooting Joanna Cassidy wrong. it was actually "We're gonna shoot Joanna Cassidy for real, so how so we make sure the viewers don't assume it's squibs and stunts?"

I've worked for Scott and i don't disagree with many of the sweeping statements you're making during the show smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A fellow Londoner!

Malak wrote:

I've worked for Scott

Sorry to hear that man. Judging by his Prometheus commentary, his shit don't stink.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Director's Cut is basically a rougher version of the Final Cut. It has the unicorn shot, no narration and no happy ending. It was one of the first DVDs ever made (I saw the Region 2 release - the picture looked like an early '90s transfer and the audio had only 2 channels).

William Sanderson (J.F. Sebastian) played a gangster on Babylon 5. Out of all the criminals on that show, he was easily the most interesting one.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10997001_10153140236562787_2397715226007859690_n.jpg?oh=478a662ab9aba3d56974cba0ca7a09e3&oe=5557FE00&__gda__=1434705237_d8da0a7fa2b50a90290ff0ee90234a4d

It's a biscuit! You can tell because it's written on the biscuit!

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

In-before anyone else, here's the ultimate version of the blade runner soundtrack, wonderfully mixed into an awesome 2 hour piece of ambient 80s retrofuturism:

Great commentary guys, very good analysis and perspectives from all. Glad you came around on it Teague.

That being said, I will not stand for this flippant dismissal of Tony Scott, one of the best populist directors we ever had. For my money, Tony is the more consistent of the 2 brothers, and has made more overall enjoyable movies (that always look amazing). Ya, he never swung for the fences and made an Alien or a Blade Runner, but True Romance, Crimson Tide, Last Boyscout, Spy Game, Man on Fire, Deja Vu, and Unstoppable are all awesome movies and that's not a filmography to sneeze at. Even his weaker stuff like Enemy of the State, Top Gun, and Domino is better and has more personality than anything big-budget coming out today.

Last edited by bullet3 (2015-02-20 04:30:49)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Great episode. I'm with Brian on this, as far as "i like it just fine, but don't be an asshole about it". Anyway, this episode was hilarious. Well done, all.

http://i.imgur.com/knfRTbi.jpg

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Great episode.

I had a professor who said that in college he based a 30-page paper on a single frame of this film. He didn't say which one, but I'm very curious.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A couple months ago, I looked at the copy of Blade Runner on my shelf and thought, "Hey, I should get around to watching that." So I popped it in. After about fifteen minutes, I remembered that I'd seen the movie before.

I also remembered that I'd done this exact same thing about a year prior.

So this movie has yet to click for me. Maybe someday. It sure is pretty!

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

....I will not stand for this flippant dismissal of Tony Scott, one of the best populist directors we ever had. For my money, Tony is the more consistent of the 2 brothers, and has made more overall enjoyable movies (that always look amazing). Ya, he never swung for the fences and made an Alien or a Blade Runner, but True Romance, Crimson Tide, Last Boyscout, Spy Game, Man on Fire, Deja Vu, and Unstoppable are all awesome movies and that's not a filmography to sneeze at. Even his weaker stuff like Enemy of the State, Top Gun, and Domino is better and has more personality than anything big-budget coming out today.

I agree with most of this, especially True Romance and The Last Boyscout (which I believe are Scott's best works, particularly because they're built around very good screenplays). And before Trey snobbishly turns his nose up at a film maker and his entire body of work (most of which he admits to having not seen, which I'd argue makes him look bad), I'd recommend he look at The Hunger (1983), Scott's first feature as a Director. It's very artsy and European, nothing like the "populist" action extravaganzas he's more known for. If nothing else, it has a pretty steamy sex scene between Susan Sarandon and Catherine Deneuve, some impressive makeup FX involving David Bowie and lots of that smokey, blue lighting Ridley uses.

So there. smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I hate that Top Gun is the go-to movie when people think about Tony Scott, and that he gets written off based on it. That was a gun-for-hire movie he did to break into hollywood, and Jerry Bruckheimer is far more responsible for the content than Scott is. And for what it's worth, Scott directed the hell out of it, it looks amazing.

But the stuff that's really representative of his work is his 90s output, which married ultra stylish, flashy visuals, with good scripts and performances. Look at the casts he worked with, giving great early roles to James Gandolfini and Viggo Mortenson, making Denzel a star. And he wasn't complacent either, when people like Michael Bay started ripping him off (without any of the art, or moral center, or restraint), he kept pushing his style further and further to see how experimental he could get. This makes his filmography post Spy Game fascinating, because nobody else would take 100 million dollar R-rated summer movies and do the kinds of crazy experimentation he did with editing, double-exposures, hand-crank (and doing it all on film, not digitally in post). He finally went too far on Domino, but you have to admire that he was pushing to see how far you could take that stuff.

Basically, you don't have to like his movies, but it's extremely reductive to say he was just a lazy gun-for-hire, I'd kill for more Tony Scotts right about now to inject a little style into our blockbuster landscape.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ridley Scott is a nut:

Faldor wrote:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10997001_10153140236562787_2397715226007859690_n.jpg?oh=478a662ab9aba3d56974cba0ca7a09e3&oe=5557FE00&__gda__=1434705237_d8da0a7fa2b50a90290ff0ee90234a4d

It's a biscuit! You can tell because it's written on the biscuit!

That's what they want you to think

Last edited by Regan (2015-02-21 19:28:06)

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Xtroid wrote:

Ridley Scott is a nut:

Too much success, too much ego, too much clout, too many yes men. Scott-Lucas-Jackson syndrome.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

I hate that Top Gun is the go-to movie when people think about Tony Scott, and that he gets written off based on it. That was a gun-for-hire movie he did to break into hollywood, and Jerry Bruckheimer is far more responsible for the content than Scott is. And for what it's worth, Scott directed the hell out of it, it looks amazing.

But the stuff that's really representative of his work is his 90s output, which married ultra stylish, flashy visuals, with good scripts and performances. Look at the casts he worked with, giving great early roles to James Gandolfini and Viggo Mortenson, making Denzel a star. And he wasn't complacent either, when people like Michael Bay started ripping him off (without any of the art, or moral center, or restraint), he kept pushing his style further and further to see how experimental he could get. This makes his filmography post Spy Game fascinating, because nobody else would take 100 million dollar R-rated summer movies and do the kinds of crazy experimentation he did with editing, double-exposures, hand-crank (and doing it all on film, not digitally in post). He finally went too far on Domino, but you have to admire that he was pushing to see how far you could take that stuff.

Basically, you don't have to like his movies, but it's extremely reductive to say he was just a lazy gun-for-hire, I'd kill for more Tony Scotts right about now to inject a little style into our blockbuster landscape.

More so than even Bruckheimer, I'd say the guy truly responsible for that particular style (continued to the extreme by Michael Bay) would be Jerry's original producing partner, Don Simpson. Seriously, look that guy up. Everything about him screamed 80s' excess. Even into the 90s', before he died he couldn't let go of that aesthetic and lifestyle. Look at pictures of him and the guy is ever dressed as if he walked off the set of Top Gun.

As far as Tony Scott goes, I agree that it's unfair (and not altogether accurate) to write the man off as a commercial, lowest common denominator Director. On many occasions, he was more considered to be avant-garde. Just look at some of the stuff he was doing with text and editing in Man On Fire. Full disclosure, I didn't happen to like what he was doing but make no mistake, Tony Scott marched to the beat of his own drum and paved the way for what a lot of folks are doing now. One could argue as to that being either good or bad but like him or not, the man deserves respect.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The guy made Days of Thunder which is one of my I don't give a fuck if it sucks I love it movies, so he gets a pass from me.

One could even argue his post 90s output is slightly better then his brothers.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

His 90s output is most definitely better than Ridley's.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*shrug* I kind of like Top Gun.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Rob wrote:

*shrug* I kind of like Top Gun.

I liked it as a teen when it came out, so it gets a pass on its faults. I always like the local reviewer's comments: Yes, it has every movie cliche you can think of, but it's audience hasn't seen those cliches yet.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Watching Blade Runner again, I was thinking just how much floating stuff Ridley Scott has backlit in his oeuvre.

For the last act of Alien, a lot of Blade Runner, Legend, Black Rain, Black Hawk Down and Gladiator... he's filled the frame with backlit smoke, dust, steam, sand, fog, dandelion seeds, bubbles (yes, Legend contains screen-filled bubbles), rose-petals, snow, rain, and I'm sure I'm missing a few things.

Before Michael Bay, he's the original frame fucker.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Excuse me, I think you're missing the part where it looks fracking awesome (...for the most part).

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

Excuse me, I think you're missing the part where it looks fracking awesome (...for the most part).

That just means the frame was willing.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"all these moments will be lost like tears in rain..."
its fitting that the last podcast was blade runner.

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down