Topic: Confirmed: Neill Blomkamp will be directing a new ALIEN movie!

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/new-a … 201436551/

In space no one can hear you geek out!

Re: Confirmed: Neill Blomkamp will be directing a new ALIEN movie!

*waits for the inevitable wave of cynicism and complaining about reboot/sequels*

But until then...OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Christ - I don't envy the writer who has to fit that baby into the existing canon, which is a dog's breakfast after everyone from Fox execs to Lindelof have had their way with it. Just reshoot this with aliens...

But not on a plane, ummm.... US Congress would be more satisfying. Or Newscorp. Or Wall Street.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The willingness to allow even the concept that joy can still exist in the universe into your life?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

We had 2 good Alien films and one that has severely divided people.
Between Resurrection, AvP and Promethearse, the franchise leans heavily towards crap.

Let's be honest, here. The first two films have an awesome creature. If the creature alone was enough to make a good film, we wouldn't have crap sequels. Scott and Cameron caught lightning in a bottle, and told a nicely wrapped up story. Scott tried worldbuilding with Prome"It's just gonna share some DNA with Alien"theus. It was bollocks.

Reboots and remakes and prequels, in this day and age, are nothing more than "HEY! REMEMBER THIS?!?". Every now and again, there are very rare exceptions, but past a certain point, there is a nonexistent line between hope and delusion.

Last edited by Herc (2015-02-21 20:33:41)

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

I think pre-Elysium this might've been worth getting excited for, but now I'm not sure I see it.

I just don't see what is left to tell with these characters and these creatures. You're not going to top the 1st two films. His concept art looks like awful 90s Aliens fan-fiction too, so that doesn't help either.

I'd much rather a completely fresh set of characters in a completely new story inspired by that design aesthetic, than going back to the well and making something that will at best feel like a pretty good re-tread of stuff we've seen before.

How depressing is it that every single "visionary" filmmaker that's come out of the gate in the last decade has been dumped onto working on a franchise film sequel or reboot. Blomkamp, Drew Godard, Rian Johnson, Gareth Edwards, Duncan Jones.

Last edited by bullet3 (2015-02-21 22:21:41)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

How depressing is it that every single "visionary" filmmaker that's come out of the gate in the last decade has been dumped onto working on a franchise film sequel or reboot. Blomkamp, Drew Godard, Rian Johnson, Gareth Edwards, Duncan Jones.

Oh god it's true.

It's been a pleasure posting here, everyone. I wish you all the best.

*walks calmly into the ocean*

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

I honestly can't tell if y'all are serious. Your posts read like parody versions of cynical assholes.

Cheer up guys. Have a little hope.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Really?

I goddamn WISH a remake or prequel or sequel or whatever WASN'T trying to just cash in cheap points by playing the "hey! remember this?!?" card.
But come on.
Prometheus? Bollocks.
Thing prequel? Bollocks
Star Trek into Darkness? Things only happened so they can reappropriate Wrath of Khan quotes, not because they organically served the story.

I just do not understand where the hope is coming from.

Last edited by Herc (2015-02-22 06:17:43)

(there are no guarantees this post will make any sense)

I personally have given up on Hollywood beyond the idea that they can entertain me. That it's it. Maybe its like Teague and the my expectations are getting adjusted to this phase Hollywood is going through. I don't know.

All I know is, I don't get Hollywood. I liked Amazing Spider-man 2 and it is derided as crap. I found ST Into Darkness enjoyable as both an action vehicle and social commentary and the general consensus is also crap.

Maybe my tastes are dulled by a lack of regular theater going now that I work all the time. I don't know. All I know is, I'm going to see Jupiter Ascending, and I will probably like it. Why? Because why not?

As for hope, I'm always hopeful. No amount of bad films or bad news will ever change that. So, if the new Alien film is another Prometheus, I think I can live with that. Because, odds are, they will try again.

(there are no guarantees this post will make any sense)

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've lived through enough of these (four attempts now) to know that the cynicism is somewhat justified. They haven't made a good alien franchise film in 29 years.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts … 5022095549

not long to go now...

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Neill Blomkamp made one-half of a good movie once and he's been garbage ever since. Chappie doesn't look like it'll reverse the trend, so needless to say I'm not excited about this.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You're probably right. The only way they could pander more would be to have Terminators fighting Aliens using Lightsabers on the Enterprise, which is on its way to Hogwarts to rescue the Hobbits from the attacking Transformers.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I hate it when people steal my fan fic wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://i.imgur.com/u1FKy2m.png

Oh. "Pander". Never mind.

That being said, it'll be nice to see that retro-future production design again, if they don't chicken out and update all of it. Like, I almost wish they'd lose the Aliens and just make a different genre set in that universe.

Give me space Die Hard with the Alien/Blade-Runner design-work.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

They did! It's called Outland and stars Sean Connery.

fireproof78 wrote:

I hate it when people steal my fan fic wink

http://rs1img.memecdn.com/use-the-force--gandalf_o_2334065.jpg

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll198/evilash1990/draculamagneo.jpg