Re: Sunshine

Doctor Submarine wrote:

You don't have to think anything. But by your logic, there's no such thing as a bad movie. And I think we can all agree that there clearly is.

What's a movie that you think is bad? Think about why you consider that movie bad, and whether or not it's as valid a reason as our reason for disliking Sunshine.

What? A movie is bad for the viewer if it not fun(or any number of adjatives) for that viewer to watch.
I like the movie Sunshine, all of it, its how I feel.
I like most films I watch. but I carefully select what I watch, first.
If an action movie make me feel exilerated, if a horror movie creeps me out, if a rom-com makes me
feel happy, these are all the things I take into consideration.
You wanted to know a movie I dislike, or types of movies, those spoof movies they
come out with, like "disaster movie","epic movie", etc. those are just horrible.
All those Found Footage movies that everyone hates, not cloverfield, people like that one, but
all the cheezy ones that are on netflix, I love those movies.

Those low budget horror movies that get 3 stars or less on IMDB, I llive for that stuff
granted someare really bad, but like I said, I just know it when I watch it.
In fact, there is a movie that is streaming on there now, its about as low budget as you can get,
but whoever wrote it really knew haw to work that fantastic 80s action dialoge and one liners
into a script, I watch it like every day for a week when I first watched it. Its called
Zombie Apocalypse: Redemption(2011).  It includes classic lines such as:
"If I want your opinion, I'll rape it outta you." and "The Mouth" and
"Holy Jesus Christmas Shit!! Get Down!"
oh man those are classic, buddy, LMAO.
Its all filmed in Detroit, which most of it already looks like a wastelend so "Production Value"(Super 8, lol)
http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Zombie_A … kid=496715
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1715362/reference

Ya, so I am the wrong person to ask about what I think is good. The are several commentaries I had
to turn off becuase everyone was just trashing the movie that I thought was awesome, It happens

You want a movie that is the best, that has what I would say a perfect 3 act setup, perfect tone
throughout. Its called "Resolution"(2012), fantastic creepy horror movie, a thinking mans movie,
without the gore or blood.
http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Resoluti … tocomplete
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1977895/reference

Last edited by mkeithddc (2014-03-03 02:45:41)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, I think we should end here, because you're talking about a very basic emotional response to a film and I'm talking about an analysis of it. Not saying your feelings or opinions are any less valid than mine, but we obviously look at movies in different ways, and that's okay.

I will say this, guys. If I ever willingly watch a movie with the line, "If I want your opinion, I'll rape it outta you" in it, just kill me right then and there because something has gone horribly wrong.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ya. you got it, you have your way, I have my way. Its all good...

Doctor Submarine wrote:

I will say this, guys. If I ever willingly watch a movie with the line, "If I want your opinion, I'll rape it outta you" in it, just kill me right then and there because something has gone horribly wrong.

LMAO!! Hey, on paper it seems silly, but on the screen, its hilarious, lol.
But seriously, if your the guy whos all time favorite movies are the lethal Weapon/Die Hard
type, you would love this movie, if only for the characters.
OMG, the leader is the big black guy from Dusk till Dawn right, so anyway, their
camp is getting attacked by the bad guys, and so he is running and then slides over the
hood of a truck for no reason, and barely makes it, and another part where the guy is running
and does a roll and jumps up, ala Galaxy Quest.  So funny!!
Oh Man, I just wanted to watch the scene again, and Netflix took it off of streaming!!!
and it cant be downloaded anywhere, damnit, bastards!!
Oh Well

Later

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Well, I think we should end here, because you're talking about a very basic emotional response to a film and I'm talking about an analysis of it. Not saying your feelings or opinions are any less valid than mine, but we obviously look at movies in different ways, and that's okay.

So noted. We will have the strait jacket and sedatives prepped and ready wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

hahahahahahah I was anle to find copy of the movie, so I got some clips
you have to watch this guy, I dont know where they found this guy,
but he is one awesome bad dude, LMAO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lffOBf82 … e=youtu.be

and some clips I edited together

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRrB2KDE … e=youtu.be

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Can someone please explain, simply, what 'going to the mansion' is again. I simply can't remember what movie it was originally in reference to. I don't want to have to listen to a half a dozen commentaries to find the answer.

Thanks in advance....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Pretty sure it was 28 Days Later. The Boys used it to describe the way a film that's doing one thing suddenly takes a turn and does something completely different, if I recall correctly.

(Though, I really like what 28 Days Later does. To me it was completely in [thematic] synch with the rest of the film. But, anyway.)

Last edited by Herc (2015-02-27 03:35:30)

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Originally, I think, the phrase was used by a producer Dorkman was talking to, saying his script did that.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What if the second act involved them getting near the sun, but Capa is the one who decides they shouldn't save humanity? The third act involves the others trying to convince/force him to come around, and it's about whether he has the right to make that choice.
Capa could escape and feel like he has to kill the others. Maybe that's a better third act? The only guy who can operate the bomb, who some others have sacrificed their lives for, won't do it?

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hm. Even though I don't like any version of a story wherein some fucking idiot on the spaceship is experiencing major, behavior-altering qualms about the thing they've always known they were doing...

...off the top of my head, I guess I would prefer to have that story take place among a crew of ostensibly sane people on one spaceship, as opposed to involving a second fucking spaceship and an insane sunburn monster.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It could easily be that Capa was able to make sure he was the one sent on the mission, to make sure another guy wouldn't do it.

If you wanted a really dark ending, maybe the designers knew the ship wasn't going to do a damn thing, but "people need hope" was a motivation to bring the world together instead of it turning into anarchy. Maybe Capa tells the crew it won't work and they don't believe him, resulting in his capture.
It ends with, guess what, the "bomb" doing nothing.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Capa isn't a bad guy! He just knew the bomb wouldn't do anything and everyone else tries to force him to activate something that's not actually there.
Maybe we and they think Capa's gone crazy, but it turns out the rest of the crew is who goes "crazy".

....Man I would watch that movie.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Hm. Even though I don't like any version of a story wherein some fucking idiot on the spaceship is experiencing major, behavior-altering qualms about the thing they've always known they were doing...

I don't remember how long the trip was, but having a character have a sort of philosophical epiphany during the trip is believable. He reads the wrong books over and over. Maybe he falls in love with Anne Rand.

"The Earth is all full of takers! They don't deserve the Sun!"

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Sorry Guys, but I still think that there is nothing wrong with this movie as it is.
Teague, I am pretty sure that you and others there have stated that you are not really a horror fan? Maybe this is part of the issue that you're having with it. Some of the greatest horror, horror/scifi have been ones that 'went to the mansion' as you call it(I still forget what movie that is referencing). The ones that were going in one direction, and then did a 90 degree turn into crazytown.
To me the is a sci/fi movie with elements or horror. Everyone assumed the movies plot would basically be your 'spaceship breaks down/repair in the nick of time' type plots.I give the filmmakers mad props for basically turning the movie on its ear. I realize this seems to be in the minority here, but I think that if you agree that you're not a horror fiend as I am, but if you were you would be more susceptible to my way of thinking? Maybe? It could happen, LOL.

BTW, How is Mike doing(us Mikes have to keep tabs on each other, LOL)? Not sure if you have another form set up for this question or not.
Man I am missing you guys fucking hardcore right now. Still combing through your archives looking for something I haven't listened to yet.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

...off the top of my head, I guess I would prefer to have that story take place among a crew of ostensibly sane people on one spaceship, as opposed to involving a second fucking spaceship and an insane sunburn monster.

But doesn't make sense that the man basically had a breakdown? There is def a sense of otherworldly things going on.
Not only have I listened to your commentary, I also have listened to both the directors commentary and the physicist's commentary several times over the years(Sunshine is one my favs). They basically say that the man has
gone insane. the secondary comm. track with the Professor guy does a better job of explaining the ending. It's been awhile now, so I wouldn't want to mince their words, but I think that if you wanted to rewatch the movie listening to audio track 3(I think), any of you would enjoy the hell out of it, IMO.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The fact that Trylon is having a summer-long "let's celebrate the moon landing" series means I'm just knocking all these sci-fi DIFs I missed out of the park, huh? In the last month I've done Moon, Silent Running, and The Fifth Element (liked the former two, hated the third), and tonight I just did Sunshine.

Can Alex Garland go back to having other people direct his scripts? (This is coming from someone who gave Ex Machina five stars back in the day and now cringes every time they remember that.) The most valuable thing Boyle brings is recognizing that the script is dumb and compensating with just constant shock and awe, whereas Annihilation has two good (overwhelming) scenes and a whole bunch of cheap plastic-looking footage of actors looking bored reciting bad dialogue. Garland takes his own writing seriously enough to think it'll hold the movie up; Boyle recognizes it's the movie's job to support the dodgy screenplay.

(Tbh, while the third act is certainly a departure I don't think I hate it. The whole movie is a horror movie IMO—it just temporarily shifts focus from the cosmic to the immediate before switching back to the cosmic. And yeah, all the burned-guy mutterings about God and angels are dumb, but, again . . . the whole script is kinda dumb too, on a story/theme level. As you guys point out, they're literally on a mission to the sun on a ship called the Icarus.)

- - - - -

By the bye, Teague asks in this commentary whether there are any movies focusing on the actual apocalypse, not a prevented one or the aftermath of one. In the years since this commentary, there have been two that I'm aware of, one of which there's a decent chance you've heard of and one of which I only found out about because DocSub watches lots of obscure shit and mentioned it on Letterboxd.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51IuOFvIeQL.jpg

How you feel about this one depends on your willingness to tolerate Lars Von Trier's self-indulgence, but I dig it. He knows exactly what his movie is—the sheer fuck-you brazenness of having a slow-motion overture set to Wagner's Tristan und Isolde to foreground the operatic catharsis of a depressed woman gaining solace via another planet smashing into ours is, well, yeah.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BODY3NDYxMTI5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDYxNjY1Nw@@._V1_.jpg

Love the hell out of this one. The background magic bean is that, thanks to climate change, an unspecified disaster is going to end the world at exactly 4:44 AM. The movie opens with one night left to go, and from there, we just watch people waiting to meet their ends. The focus is largely on Willem Dafoe (whose performance is magnetic as always) and Shanyn Leigh as a married couple quietly making preparations, but the two of them dip into and out of numerous other people's last hours as the evening goes on. Definitely the more watchable, humanist take compared to Von Trier's overt artsiness.

So, anyway. Check those out, those of you who're interested in end-of-the-world-no-really flicks.

Last edited by Abbie (2019-07-23 05:04:46)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down