Re: Announcement: Goodnight, Goodnight!

Trey wrote:

Well, that and that I never got to do the episode where I explain why Spaceballs is a terrible movie.

Is it because Mel Brooks decided to spoof something popular that he didn't understand and not something he actually had an intense love for? 'Cause that's totally  my reason for why it sucks.

Last edited by Hansen (2015-03-01 02:39:17)

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Aww, man . . . I did this, didn't I? My constant, awkward lurking on the Live feeds finally creeped you all off. Woe is me . . . what have I done, where will I go?

Seriously, I've also been a silent follower of you guys since TF.N (and NP2k) so I guess I'll just have to hang on to that "for now" part you teased of, hoping you fellows take an "intermission" now and then to do one as an occasional update. In the meantime, I'll just find a dark recess somewhere and stick around here, waiting . . . and watching. If anyone else needs a quiet fixture to "guest" in their background, I've got some time.

Thanks for all the WAYDM fun,

Good luck, Good luck! smile

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

So YOU'RE guest!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thank you Teague (and the rest of the gang). This podcast has meant so much to me. Didn't really sink in til I read all these posts and the wonderful things everyone has said. Pretty much covers it all. Just wanted to say thanks for all the free funny and insight over the years

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Hansen wrote:
Trey wrote:

Well, that and that I never got to do the episode where I explain why Spaceballs is a terrible movie.

Is it because Mel Brooks decided to spoof something popular that he didn't understand and not something he actually had an intense love for? 'Cause that's totally  my reason for why it sucks.

Damn. Nailed it.  *high five*

Y'all are beuatiful.  I just got home from some fights and am a little drunk so I won't spill my guts here, but the love you guys have for the podcasts and this community writ large is humbling.  I'll post a longer thing later but in the meantime....thank you all.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

Y'all are beuatiful.  I just got home from some fights and am a little drunk so I won't spill my guts here, but the love you guys have for the podcasts and this community writ large is humbling.

http://i.imgur.com/lunzTB2.png

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Hey, look, I've finally got time to say something! Aw man, everyone's already said everything. Shucks.

You know, I think I've gone several times on record saying that I ended up here more for the community than the podcast. Don't get me wrong, I love it with a fierce passion. I'm saddened that it's come to an end; but hey, life happens, who am I to judge? It's had a great run. I think everyone's here already explained better than I would why this podcast was so great and I'm going to miss it. But I still have a ton of episodes to listen to (I'm a better forum member than I am a listener, I'm ashamed to admit).

What's important to me now is that this forum lives on. I could spend the day explaining why this community matters so damn much to me, but it's Sunday and I've got shit to do. I'll try and be concise.

I'm deeply proud of saying I've got friends all over the world. I've never met them. I most probably will meet some of them eventually (we're opening a Friends in your Head coffeehouse in Norway sometime; it's gonna be a thing). But they're my friends all the same. Since that fateful day in 2011 when I clicked on a link Ryan Wieber tweeted about a - whawasit - mocap and 3D live discussion and I ended up saying stupid shit in the chatroom 'til 5am (Zarban's got his arch-nemesis in Dave; mine is time difference) and Teague sent me an invitation to join the forum, my life has been a bit different. This place is special. It's been here while I've been studying at my VFX school. I'm now making a movie to finish this, and I know FIYH definitely has a responsibility in my succeeding (hell, one could argue that FIYH is the reason I'm in the VFX field in the first place via Ryan and Mike). It's driven me to be more passionate about movies - both the podcast and the community - and with VFX stuff in general. It's made me do awesome community projects (a virtual road trip with people all over the world, try explaining that IRL). It's been the place where I've progressively improved my English, which is also very important to me. I still speak like a spanish cow (as the french saying goes; don't ask) but I can hold my own when it comes to having an insult contest with a Scottish guy.

You people here are an inspiration to me. Teague's an insane son of a bitch and I can only hope I end up being half as passionate as he is about everything. Plus, there's the fact that I'm forever indebted to you for creating this place.

All this to say that this community had better live on. I'm not currently active here as much as I'd like, but you know, making a film and no life and yadda yadda. Starting next September, I'll be an actual VFX artist (shit, really?) and I intend on keeping very much in touch with the people here because we have stuff to do. Teague's said it: let's keep creating. Also I need to share some beers with everyone (except Owen, because he's 12 and not allowed to consume alcoholic beverages).

Yeah, you're not done with the Frenchie. Y'all are gonna keep on being a part of my life, and I'm not asking. No one's going anywhere.

Also everyday I hear about the magical place that is TFN and since I missed the boat on that years ago, I'm gonna do everything I can to make you forget that it even existed in the first place because of how greater this forum is (hey, it's worth a shot). More seriously, I think this community is so great that, as Teague also said, it doesn't even need the podcast to live in the first place. The upcoming months should prove him right.

Also I'm Trey's pimp. I have a duty.

EDIT: well shit, I wasn't concise

Last edited by Saniss (2015-03-01 11:09:21)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Heh. Yeah. Yessir.
Thanks for everything, Zap. From years of service in the forum community to The Dark Crystal commentary to walking my drunk ass to the car at Comic-Con.

That - and at the end of said commentary introducing y'all to Tims Vermeer... which y'all apparently forget mentioning it on a later episode where the topic came up... LOLF!

Anyway, congratulations on getting a chunk of time back into your life, but, also - BOOHOO!

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down

While we're on the subject, let's not forget how it all started:

Fig, in 2009 wrote:

Hey folks. Some of you might recall a show called Geekza that Chris Hanel and I started a couple years ago, which had evolved into an entirely different beast by as recently as a few months ago. We'd get together over a live Talkshoe audience and discuss various aspects of pop culture through the geek filter, and good times were had by all. Some of the Geekza episodes that people enjoyed the most were in the style of commentaries, where we'd pick a movie, sync up the MP3 with the DVD, and play forth, having a rousing conversation about the film in perfect sync with the film in question.

Well. Jones is dead. I killed him. Most of the regular listener types know this.

A while back, apropos of nothing, it seemed, we dropped a commentary track for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Another college try from a few bored folks looking to relive their glory days, perhaps? Their glory days of, you know, a couple months ago? cool Not quite.

Since Geekza's demise, we've been up to no good behind the scenes - snatching up snazzier equipment, planning a PR attack on the world, and our subsequent domination of it - with a brand new show devoted entirely to commentaries. Teague "Fig" Chrystie, Michael "Dorkman" Scott, Brian Finifter, and Trey Stokes - responsible for three of IGN's ten favorite fan films of all time - reviewing and discussing movies for your enjoyment, your sexual release, and your iPod.

Right now we're in what I call "beta," where we're only announcing the show on a very few sites, waiting to see if anyone finds a kink in the chain or anything like that. In a couple of weeks, we're going to do our best to get the world's attention, and we'll take all the help we can get, so if you enjoy the show, please swear your undying allegiance to us, because we can use you.

In the meantime, check out the site, subscribe in iTunes, and pop in a DVD - we have to apologize in advance, because we love to start these things off with a depressing bang. As such.

The Phantom Menace commentary is available now!

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/down … .29940432/

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Aw, No...

Well, it was fun while it lasted.  I enjoyed your podcasts since the days of geekza, and have known who fig was on the internet since the np2k forum days.  I originally listened in because Chris Hanel was one of the two geekza guys in the beginning.  And over time I became familiar with Teague, Michael, Bryan and Trey since you all did Star Wars fanfims back when tfn was big. 

I have thoroughly enjoyed the content that you guys have put out under down in front and friends in your head.  I've also learned a lot about how and why movies work the way they do from you guys.  There have been some real eye-opening discussions on this podcast.

The community here has been a unique one, and in my opinion better than the community on tfn.  I got along handsomely with all of you and although I didn't chime in all that often over the last year and a half, I've still read what people had to say.

Teague, Bryan, Michael, Trey, Eddie, Chloe and whomever else has been on this podcast; this is the closing of a chapter in you life.  It's been fun.  I can understand you guys wanting to move on to other things, it's in our human nature to grow and change.  I wish you all a very fond farewell and hope you all have a very happy and great life ahead!  Cheers!

Last edited by switch (2015-03-01 15:39:07)

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Do you guys have any backlog of podcasts that haven't been released yet?  Something to tide us over till the inevitable JJ-bashfest in December?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

mascan42 wrote:

Do you guys have any backlog of podcasts that haven't been released yet?  Something to tide us over till the inevitable JJ-bashfest in December?

Yep, Trey watched every Marvel movie and recorded his thoughts

http://d3ny4pswk2x1ig.cloudfront.net/bd0a1a272a8edd801c096158410f6a522cedb846b182e37e748fa8d0.jpg

not long to go now...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Thanks brudda. You have not managed to escape my notice over the years, at least, so you're not doin' a very good job of lurking.  tongue

cheers mate, guess I'm going to have to be more social now as i've apparently failed at the lurking thing. 

I should be over that way later in the year to visit a mate and plan a trip if anyone is up for a few, my shout.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm sad to see the podcast go. It's been a godsend during my commute to school (I drive like 500km - 300 miles - a week). But with 1000 hours to revisit, I think I'll manage.

I've been more of a forum lurker than an active member, but I feel like I know all of you. I read all the posts and occasionally hang out in the chat. (I'll probably appear from time to time to rant - like if the Broadway version of Frozen actually happens.)

To Teague, Mike, Brian, Trey, and everyone else who's been on the podcast - it's been great to have you as friends in my head. It is really is the most apt description. I'm glad that I got to hang out in a couple live streams. My shining achievement will always be from the Oblivion commentary, telling Teague YOU MUST CHILL YOU DO NOT LIVE ON A STICK. (It's okay, man, it really is.)
Also Holden - this all would probably have fallen apart without you. We appreciate your efforts immensely.

I've learned so much about storytelling and film-making here. I've watched films I probably wouldn't have found on my own. I've added to my stockpile of behind-the-scenes film knowledge that I pull out at parties. (I've always loved the bonus material on DVDs - when I was eight, I went to the local video store and rented just the bonus material disc from the Adventures of Indiana Jones Box set.) And that's been great, because I'm awful at parties. My only party trick is reciting V's alliterative monologue from V For Vendetta.

I've laughed, I've learned, I've contemplated the universe.
Thank you for embarking on this journey. You've created something that meant a lot to me. That means a lot to a lot of people. I wish all of you all the best regarding whatever comes next.

Just keep moving on
Anything you do
Let it come from you
Then it will be new
Give us more to see

alicia ♆
twitter | instagram | website

I don't post here often enough and I lurked too often in the live chat, but I have to say this really hurts.

I understand some of reasons for this hiatus and of course I wish the whole WAYDM / DIF crew nothing but success & happiness but my Sundays and my heart are both going to be a little more empty.

Thank you for the laughs, the discussions and the thought provoking analysis. Thank you for sharing yourselves and that weird type of friendship that I feel for a bunch of people that I've never met, have never really spoken to and who don't know me at all but who are all very important to me. Thank you for everything.

I'm just an engineer with delusions of being a piss poor writer, so I'll steal some words from someone better than me...

I suppose some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up DOES rejoice. But still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone. I guess I'll just miss my friends in my head.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Tom already posted this in the EE thread, but I thought I'd whack it over here for some visibility.

Heads up: We'll be doing an episode to cover this place. As in, the reason why Extended Edition even exists. As such, I've already invited the lot (Teague, Brian, Michael and Trey), and I understand that getting Mike on... mic... ehm, will be impossible, but we'd gladly have the rest of you on to do one in the near future.

TL;DR - We're recording a DIF eulogy at some point soon and the invitation to join in is open. We usually record around 8PM UK time, so that would be 3pm/noon Eastern/Pacific (I think) for any US folk.

Last edited by Owen_Ward (2015-03-02 21:28:03)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
You guys are one of the few things I look forward .

FUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK..........

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave wrote:

Let's be honest - the forum is more than the podcasts. The podcasts were wonderful, they were a thing, but it's time to put them to bed.

Sorry buddy, but you are full of it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

LatinAlice wrote:

I'm sad to see the podcast go. It's been a godsend during my commute to school (I drive like 500km - 300 miles - a week). But with 1000 hours to revisit, I think I'll manage.

I've been more of a forum lurker than an active member, but I feel like I know all of you. I read all the posts and occasionally hang out in the chat. (I'll probably appear from time to time to rant - like if the Broadway version of Frozen actually happens.)

Is this a thing? Please tell me this isn't a thing?

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:
LatinAlice wrote:

I've known people who had to drive 4hrs round trip to go from home to college before. If you can't afford
and apartment and have to live a home.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

mkeithddc wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:
LatinAlice wrote:

I've known people who had to drive 4hrs round trip to go from home to college before. If you can't afford

Um, was referring to the Frozen Broadway musical, the bolded part in my quote.

I've done the whole commute thing (80 miles round trip a day, 5 days a week) and had teachers who did longer. No stranger to that. Small town, rural community, etc.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Now begins mass downloads of all podcasts that I don't have, this will take some time.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:
mkeithddc wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

Um, was referring to the Frozen Broadway musical, the bolded part in my quote.

I've done the whole commute thing (80 miles round trip a day, 5 days a week) and had teachers who did longer. No stranger to that. Small town, rural community, etc.

Ahhh, Gotcha

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I certainly don't have anything profound to add, but I would like to say thanks for the hours of entertainment.  I found you guys entirely on accident (that's for Trey) when someone emailed me a copy of the Phantom Menace commentary instead of a Riff Raff Theater file I asked for that I'd worked on with Chris Hanel.  Seriously... best mistake ever.  After giving that track a listen, I wanted to see if you'd done anything else and when I searched I hit the exact time period that you were transitioning from DIF to WAYDM and I've been hooked ever since. 

You guys have the amazing ability of making me interested in things that never even occured to me to check out.  Brian's love of all things space related leaked into my subconsious enough to get me to watch From the Earth to the Moon, and order an out of print copy of Lost Moon.  The Malariathon got me to read the Harry Potter books, and subsequently the Methods of Rationality (which is amazing).  And I didn't know I could listen to a four hour discussion about film scores, with no musical background and be interested the whole time.   While I don't agree with Eddie on a lot of his film opinions I was listening to him going through the process of being a new dad, while I was doing the same.  I've even grown used to Jake's "name a different actor than the one that's on screen" schtick although I'll admit, I have skipped a few Jake episodes as I've gone back through the catalogue. 

I've enjoyed the variety of content you provide, from the film school breakdown of Mulholland Drive to whatever the hell you wanna call the Wanted episode.  And I could listen to Trey tell stories all day.  I've started tracking down a lot of the films he recommends even in passing. 

I'm not active on the forums, as listening to DIF is a chore time and commuting to work activity, so the end of the podcasts really does feel like a loss to me.  That being said, I'm not nearly as crushed as I was with the initial news of Mike's accident, so at least I can put things into their proper perspective.  That being said, I'll try to read and post more here in the future, and if you do end up releasing new episodes, even better. 

Seriously guys, thank you.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down