Re: Hey, Whatcha playin'?

Tomahawk wrote:

...we picked up LittleBigPlanet 3 a little while ago. It's fun, but compared to the other two; a tad too hard.

When it released 4-5 of the Lper's I follow started playthroughs of it in collab mode. None of the series' got past about 10 episodes because the game was SO DAMN BUGGED. At one point, one of the boss battles was impossible to complete because every once in a while the entire world would just go entirely invisible until you reset the game, another level was impossible to finish because...it was impossible to finish, the game was broken such that you just physically couldn't do one of the things you needed to do.

No clue if it's the same in single player, or if they've fixed it since, but it was hilarious the extent to which that game didn't work, in so far as I wasn't the one that paid for it.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2015-02-14 17:55:08)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131201215938/starwars/images/1/15/KotOR_Cover.png

It's been a long time coming, but I'm finally getting round to playing KOTOR. I actually picked it up (along with the sequel) during the last Steam summer sale, but I only really played it for a couple of hours or so. Now with the Star Wars Humble Bundle coming about, I decided to take another stab at it and oh, am I loving it!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, but you probably spoiled yourself on the story already, knowing you. Even that aside, it's a brilliant game. The sequel even more so, gameplay-wise, but the story is a bit lacking.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I'm spoiled for it - but it was actually unintentional this time!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tomahawk wrote:

Yeah, but you probably spoiled yourself on the story already

You spoiled it for him! He was on the same podcast!  lol

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

...that may or may not be true.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I spent most of the day playing a newish game called This War of Mine, an indie game where you contro a small group (3 to 4) of people and lead them through surviving a war-torn city where resources are limited. The game is divided into two key parts, one where have a cross-section view of your house and build, grow or craft items, feed, entertain and rest your survivors, this all takes place during the day and runs on a clock. The other part of the game is at night, where you send of your people out to scavenge for the resources (wood, medicine, components, weapons, food, cigarettes etc.) at other locations around the city (also in 2d cross-sectional form), sometimes encountering other survivors, soldiers, bandits etc.

It's an engrossing and very different game from what I usually play. Sometimes, you have to make choices about whether to help other people. Do you give up your only drugs to give to a couple of children? Do you take in another survivor who's not that useful even though that means another mouth to feed and your other guys are all hungry?

What makes this game so great for me though is how it's a game of consequences. At one location, I ventured too far and the squatters started chasing me out of it. I had a knife on me so I stabbed and killed one, then another, and then another until all those chasing were dead. This survivor then returned to the shelter, backpack full of stuff I had taken, but was completely shattered by what he had done. Not only was he broken by the experience (and therefore virtually unuseable for tasks) but the effect was felt by all his friends who couldn't believe it had come down to murder.

Very rarely does your avatar in a game come across a human being and here I was reminded I was playing with a character and making him do things that would irrevocably change him. And the guilt and remorse that I felt at making him murder other people was immense.

Anyhow, I'd recommend at least a look at a Let's Play on youtube.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Just gonna throw this here in case y'all don't know:

The new Unreal Tournament has a pre-alpha version available for download. It's still early in development, official release isn't slated til August. But it's already hella fun...and I mean c'mon new shiny UT for free!!

WOO!

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2015-03-08 22:17:06)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

My computer could never handle UT back when it was a big thing, so I've never got the chance to give it a go. I'll give it a download, fancy a game?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ooh, count me in.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Update on my adventures in Tomb Raiding post:

Tomb Raider (2013) was excellent. It has a handful of tombs (tricky but simple puzzle-solving), so it's not so much Tomb Raider as Lara Croft: Origins. However, as far as a reboot beginning to tell the story of how Lara became Lara, it's really, really impressive. It leans towards third-person action, with all the classic jump-and-climb stuff, but I think it's really satisfying. I am thoroughly impressed. And oh my god, the environments are utterly gorgeous. And I don't recall another game (well, except for the Mass Effect trilogy) where I was this immersed in the game. Lara gets repeatedly and seriously fucked up by the environment, and I could almost feel it. I totally recommend this, even at full-price. I will definitely replay this in the not-too-distant future.

Tomb Raider I: Goddamn, it holds up well. I only ever played the third one as a kid, so this was new to me, but it does have some interesting and mind-wracking puzzles. I was gonna play it out of historical interest, but it held my attention all the way through. And, holy crap, the whole game was designed and made by a grand total of six people!
(Also, this might be the premiere animal-killing game. Yikes.)

Tomb Raider II: Equally fun and quite a bit harder, but still good. Although the level design can get confusing and needlessly complex (if you can complete the whole game without once referring to a walkthrough, I salute you).

On to Tomb Raider III, which I last played half my life ago....

edited: to make that a 4-period ellipsis. because, you know.

Last edited by Herc (2015-03-08 23:10:21)

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Herc wrote:

if you can complete the whole game without once referring to a walkthrough, I salute you.

Well, you know, back in '98, we kinda had to.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I liked the new Tomb Raider reboot quite a bit. Although, it did kind of drag on for me.

SPOILER Show
I might be a bit dim, but I thought that it would end with the helicopter crash. I was pleasantly surprised to find another third of the game!

Wasn't super into Lara's characterization, but I liked her more towards the end.

Felt a lot like Uncharted, which was appreciated. :)

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've set us up a Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/friendsinyourhead

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

NO GOLDEN EYE! That is all I am saying!

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Goldeneye can't be played thru steam.

..Unless you count GoldenEye Source.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I wish it was - but yeah no.  It was as a failed attempt online as another thing. Add the steam thing. It should be fun!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Team Fortress 2 - free on steam. Lets make a massive forum game

Thumbs up Thumbs down

screwballscramble wrote:

I wish it was - but yeah no.  It was as a failed attempt online as another thing. Add the steam thing. It should be fun!

...eh, what?

If you're referring to GoldenEye online, it's an N64 Emulator that enables online play as emulated offline multiplayer. The player starting the game is player 1, controls the game and such, and you're all playing on the same screen.
It works just fine.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tried playing last night with Screwball, Spork and Saniss. Didn't seem to work nicely this time, awh well.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh, now suddenly the Norwegian isn't that bad, eh?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't know what you guys are talking about, and I have no dog in this race whatsoever.

But, no — the Norwegian is definitely that bad.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I can attest to that.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague and Video Games:

http://rs2img.memecdn.com/what-it-was-like-for-me-to-play-goldeneye-for-the-first-time-in-years_o_706149.gif

God loves you!

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

I distinctly remember the graphics in GoldenEye being the dog's bollocks. That game, Perfect Dark and Star Wars Podracer were the only N64 games I ever owned.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down