I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Black Hole

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

Completely lost it at the Jaden Smith iphone tangent

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I proclaim the last 60 seconds of this episode to be The Best Outro We Have Ever Done.

/diminished

This particular tribute video is pertinent to this thread.

magellanthecat is not me, but I've been watching his work for a few years now.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I did see this on home video when I was younger, and did not enjoy it. I hardly remember it, but this was a fun trip for me. Also, probably one of the more random commentaries wink

On the topic of random acronyms, Calvin and Hobbes had one
https://iampierremenard.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/6a00d8341bffd953ef017ee7100908970d-800wi.jpg

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

As a smart 4th Grader in 1979, I avoided both this and the Star Trek movie in theaters. The reviews (and I did read the local movie reviews) had said ST:TMP wasn't real trek, which was enough for me. Black Hole probably looked boring, and I was old enough for the Disney name to turn me off. At the time I was into the cartoon Star Blazers (the anime Space Battleship Yamato), with tons of space combat. The sad thing is, I later avoided Dragonslayer because of the Disney name as well, and that's great. Ah, what Disney could have been if their attempts at more serious genre movies and animation (Black Cauldron) had done well...

While this was Disney's first PG film, that's only because of when it was released. When Disney released Treasure Island on video, they had to edit out some of the violence to keep its G rating. Planet of the Apes also had a G rating.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh man, Dragonslayer.  Now there's a movie worth commentary-ing. 
*puts it on 'curated' wishlist*

Black Hole makes ST-TMP look like Citizen Kane big_smile

Speaking of Ernest Borgnine... Anybody remember that '80s show? Knight Rider with a helicopter -  doesn't that sound awesome?

(BTW, this Bell helicopter was redesigned by Andy Probert, who also helped redesign the Enterprise for ST-TMP.)

Last edited by MartyJ (2015-01-28 18:19:15)

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Airwolf!
Used to watch that when I was younger.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Marty J wrote:

Black Hole makes ST-TMP look like Citizen Kane big_smile

Have you seen the original cut of Trek, though? The two films have a bit in common. I'm amused that Disney tried to get ILM. They were busy doing a rush job on Trek, having been called in when the original model work (done by the group hired for the canceled Phase II TV series) looked like crap. If you want to see a bloated budget, the Trek movie cost something like $46 million with the over runs.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Probably just becuase of the nostalgia factor, having seen this many, many times when it played on HBO when I was a kid, but I thought the movie was pretty cool. Esp the giant sets, and the way they were free from people moving about, gave it that creepy, dreamlike quality.
And the score, to me, always seemed haunting IMO. You guys may know more about music perhaps because you know how to write and read music, but for someone who listened to this when he was like 6 it was pretty cool.
Didn't mind that it was played over certain scenes, like the blaster shootout.
And the ending to me was just for effect, didn't really matter if it was accurate. To me it was just cool way to show something that can only theorize still.  The Captain ended up becoming one with his creation.
If you guys have seen the movie Interstellar yet, it also has a similar improbable ending, but of course it's Nolan
so it will be praised, lol.

Oh, BTW, Vincent and BOB look completely different(Vincent has a round top and Bob has a 'Devo" style top) and have 2 completely functions. Vincent even says it when first meeting BOB.
And speaking of things like the dining room and the chandelier, thats all explained earlier when Borgnine was explaining how the guy bilked the tax payers into paying for the 'grandiose' ship. Just listening to the guy
speak you can tell that he would def have a captains setup like that. Not really fair comparing it to the ISS, lol,
when this was supposed to be more like Star Trek future.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the gravity from the black hole make it necessary to use thrusters
to speed up and slow down when approaching the larger ship?

Last edited by mkeithddc (2015-01-29 10:27:32)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

Have you seen the original cut of Trek, though?

Yes. It feels very much like a rough cut, but I still find it more coherent than The Black Hole.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is one of my favorite episodes ever. The very definition of "Friends in Your Head". Just you guys being silly and meandering about whilst some random silly film plays in the background. This should happen more often. You should pick films that none of you have seen. Well, I guess, BAD film none of you have seen.

Next up: Gigli!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This episode is like the spiritual sequel to the Wanted commentary. Which is interesting, because no one wanted to do it.

I'll show myself out.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

At the time I was into the cartoon Star Blazers (the anime Space Battleship Yamato), with tons of space combat.

For Invid:

I still get choked up by the opening theme of Star Blazers.

Last edited by Jp12x (2015-02-01 05:39:36)

I post because I care.
  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
"Feel free to flame me. I don't like Legends of Korra or Gravity, either."

Bahahahahahahahahaha

*snort*

Bahahahahahahaha

I enjoyed this one thoroughly.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Glad you guys did this one as I had been wanting to revisit it since forever.  Unlike Invid, I was not a smart fourth-grader in 1979, and I remember seeing both this and ST:TMP in the theater. All I remembered about The Black Hole though was (a) that the TV/teaser trailer with the voice-over and the green vector graphics scared the living bejeesus out of me as a kid for some reason. (In fact, I had a mild panic attack seeing the trailer again as an adult as a DVD extra on some 80's exploitation flick that Robert Forster was starring in.) and (b) that I cried when BOB died. 

Seeing it as an adult, holy mother of God what a mess.  But for everybody wondering where the story money went, just look at the credits: story by Jeb Rosebrook and Bob Barbash & Richard Landau, screenplay by Jeb Rosebrook and Gerry Day. I guess if they ever get that remake going it'll at least stop the world bitching about how they only ever remake good films and how much more useful it would be to remake bad ones. 

I do think the guys were being a little harsh on Mr internet tinfoil-hat douchebag though.  Now I haven't actually studied literature in almost 30 years, but two seconds of googling confirmed my intuition that there is a long and honorable tradition of Freudian psychoanalytic criticism with respect to Frankenstein-type monster stories.  So this guy is not coming out of left field or anything.  Of course one might claim that academic literary criticism is in actual fact empirically non-distinct from tinfoil-hat douchebaggery, but seeing as I work in a department that includes colleagues in English Literature, I'm sure I couldn't possibly comment.  It certainly pre-dates the internet though. 

And I'm not sure about falling into a black hole as a way to die.   A parachute not opening, that's a way to die. Getting caught in the gears of a combine. Having your nuts bit off by a Laplander, that's the way I wanna go.

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

sellew wrote:

Having your nuts bit off by a Laplander, that's the way I wanna go.

Tom is in Norway, that's close enough, surely?

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Jp12x wrote:
Invid wrote:

At the time I was into the cartoon Star Blazers (the anime Space Battleship Yamato), with tons of space combat.

I still get choked up by the opening theme of Star Blazers.

My friend and I, for 4th grade art class, did a HUGE six foot long drawing of the "Argo" (Yamato) to be hung in the hallway. Good times.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This was a movie I have fond memories of from when I was a child, but with a different set of third act problems than say "Explorers" because this movie was from that era when children's films good be freakin' horrifying. I had an audio storybook of this movie on cassette that had a strong emphasis on the cute, floating robots and curiously omitted parts like the corpses of the murdered crew being turned into robot slaves.

Kinda reminds me of the children's film viewfinder I had that showed clips from the original "Alien" movie (and no, I'm not joking. This was a real kids toy and I had it when I was in single digits).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So looking back after the Goodnight, Goodnight announcement, was this the straw that broke the camel's back?  When Teague made them commentate on an episode nobody wanted to do.

Last edited by Raven (2015-03-10 23:30:34)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

holden

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down