Re: Vertigo

I think that's a little unfair. They like other Hitchcock works like Psycho and Rear Window. Clearly, Hitchcock isn't what they have a problem with, but Vertigo, specifically.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah let's keep it above the belt.  If a movie doesn't work for you it doesn't work.  There's not always a rulebook.  Trey is not a better or worse film watcher because he doesn't like Vertigo.  Most Scorcesse does not work for me.  I think Easy Rider is a mess.  None of us have a divining rod about what's good.  I think there is very little about film criticism that's objective.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Differing opinion is good, but delivery is important.

If someone hates a widely-loved film to the point that the commentary is disrupted by the bashing of pots and pans, and chucking pieces of their train set, that's not entirely constructive. It got to the stage where you couldn't talk about what's considered to be a classic film over the raucous laughter about eyebrows.

I completely get not enjoying the film, but give me constructive criticism that challenges my point of view.

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

I tend to agree. Especially given Trey didn't even make it through the movie when he tried to watch it on his own. A real pet peeve of mine is people pausing movies to go do other things, or texting/doing-other-things, while a movie is on. If you're gonna watch a movie, sit down and fucking watch it, and give it the full 2 hours.
I've had movies I hated completely turn it all around and win me over in the last 30 minutes.

Don't mean to single out Trey, but this whole trend I've noticed in the internet age where movies are just a thing you throw on in the background irritates the crap out of me, it's disrespectful to the movies and to the filmmakers.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave wrote:

Also, I completely understand why you would obsess over Kim Novak

I, on the other hand, don't understand why anyone would reject Barbara Bel Geddes. Such a cutie.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a0/Studio_publicity_Barbara_Bel_Geddes.jpg/476px-Studio_publicity_Barbara_Bel_Geddes.jpg

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

One thing I was surprised you guys didn't mention is the absolutely phenomenal score by Bernard Hermann. The opening credits theme is maybe the most incredibly unsettling piece of music I've heard in my life. And, of course, I have a special love for it because it inspired a lot of the orchestrations in Sweeney Todd.

Last edited by Abbie (2013-10-27 03:12:00)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I happened to catch most of Sisters--early Brian De Palma--a love letter to Hitch and giallo, and the host told this story afterwards:

De Palma was lucky enough to get Bernard Herrmann for the score. Hermann outright complained about the dull opening. De Palma countered that "nothing" happened in Psycho for 40 minutes. And Hermann shouted "You're no Hitchcock! For Hitchcock, they'll wait!"

Maybe people won't wait anymore, even for Hitch's decidedly more interesting and suspenseful slow-burn openings....

I love the film--and the great majority of everything else Hitchcock did--and I thought the commentary was great. I agree that Judy's eyebrows are ridiculous--AND HITCH WOULD HAVE LAUGHED WITH US. He put ridiculous things in his movies all the time. He didn't climax North by Northwest with people crawling down Thomas Jefferson's face by accident.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Apparently Hitchcock was really pissed that De Palma essentially remade Vertigo when he did Obsession (talk about on-the-nose titles).

I will second Hermann's amazing score in this, it's so gloriously operatic and theatrical, I love it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Only about half way through this one, but I wanted to go ahead and get my guesses in for Eddy's Comic Book Baby Name.  I'm going with Madelyne Pryor, Jubilee, or Squirell Girl.  smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

dbngaa wrote:

I'm going with Madelyne Pryor, Jubilee, or Squirell Girl.  smile

Rocket Raccoon.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think it tends to play different for modern audiences.  I saw it during the restoration re-release in '96, and a lot of the audience thought the second half of the movie played like a comedy.  Kids today don't get melodrama, I think.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You know how you guys mentioned in this commentary that John Boehner looks like Jimmy Stewart? Well, he's got nothing on 80s Joe Biden, good Christ.

http://cloudfront-media.reason.com/mc/_external/2015_03/bidens-senatorial-deference-2.jpg?h=263&w=350

Thumbs up Thumbs down