Topic: Pitch for a better forum format

Bear with me, for all I know this exists already, but here's my thought process...

I can't but notice the format of every forum I've ever seen (granted, not many) happen to have very similar characteristics that actually seem to inhibit group discussions:

First person starts a topic, makes a few points. Second person quotes them, makes a few counterpoints, and gives another point tangentially related. Third person, in order to engage with both of them, has to quote them separately, and respond in one post. If they want to make their own point, they splinter the conversation even further.

By the fifteenth person, there are multiple threads of conversation all related to the main subject that become very difficult to follow because forums are essentially email chains, where each post, regardless of subject, is shown chronologically.

I don't think this is the best way to have group discussions. So why don't forums adopt the format of a lot of comment sections in websites, or, even better, Facebook-types? Person 1 makes a point or asks a question, and everyone can respond to it, then make their own points, which can be responded to in a clear conversation-tree format? That way you can always follow a particular conversation to its conclusion before picking up the next thread.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Pitch for a better forum format

Can I be person 2? But, yeah. I totally agree. The forum format is a bit hard to follow at times. Especially joining a thread late that has multiple pages. It's easy to get a bit lost and/or miss something.

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So basically what you're saying is you don't want a forum but would rather a subreddit?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Facebook, I think?!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm not sure what facebook you're using, cause you can't reply to a single facebook comment and branch off a thread, it's just a straight line down.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

So far, all of my reactions and understanding to this idea have mirrored BDA's. Subreddit, Facebook's threading is weird and mostly vertical, etc..

Which, I like subreddits a lot, but I also have well over a decade of experience with message boards, so I'm good with either.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My facebook comparison was maybe less apt.

Clarification: I LIKE this community. It's just hard to follow some of the more meaty topics because of the format.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Seconded. But then I blame myself for being a poor forum member and not actually trying to keep track of things.

+Reddit has stolen far too many hours of my life.

Last edited by Regan (2015-03-17 16:16:35)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hm. I see what you're saying — I don't have a problem with it myself, but then again, I'm totally fluent in message board at this point, and have gotten used to scrolling up to give myself more context when I need it. I can see the barrier to entry there. Lemme think about it.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I will just say, personally I LOATHE reading comment threads on reddit. It's confusing and claustrophobic.

There's no real clear delineation between posts, and having to either scroll all the way back up to the beginning of a thread to twirl it up, or figure out which sub thread of sub thread you're in is a pain in the ass.

Frankly I have exactly zero issues with the forum format, it's concise and organized, and all you have to do is go back a page or scroll up if you missed something.

Just my 2cents.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Yeah, Reddit's threading is pretty confusing if you don't install a toolkit like Reddit Enhancement Suite, which does a few things to make reading and navigating it clearer.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I agree with BDA. My only gripes, and it is very much a me being lazy thing, missing the point of the conversation entirely. Simply, I'm too lackadaisical to scroll back and catch up to the conversation to give an appropriate or informed message on the topic at hand.

I am very much a reddit poster in that respect.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Screw, there seems to be a lot of your problems stem from laziness. Not sure if you noticed.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I've never had any problems following the typical message board format myself, but then again I have grown up with it. I found subreddits a tad confusing to get my head round at first, but I'm good with that now - although I do prefer the format of a message board.

I dunno, forums have never been an issue - but I'm more than open to a new approach.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Early still in my thinkin,' but where I'm at now is that Reddit's system for sorting multi-threaded conversations and making it easy to go back in time and follow different tangents is about as good as that can be.

Most of the improvements to that sorting method would be implementation details and navigation, not the arrangement philosophy itself. Hm.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No matter how mundane a thread, it is some form of narrative - an initial premise with developments along the way. The message board format preserves that and will always allow to you catch up in the same way as everyone else. When dealing with systems that splinter off, you don't really get that as much - especially if there is a voting system. You click on the thread and right away the (arguably) 'best comment' is right there at the top - you save the Princess without stomping a few Goombas along the way. Which I think is great if you just want a basic overview of something, but for a conversation? I'm not sure that's ideal for me.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

I'm agreed with Owen and BDA, I much prefer the current message board format. I mean, in depth conversations with ludicrous side tangents are really what DiF was always about, I feel like the forum should reflect that.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, don't get me wrong - I love the forum just he way it is.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io1WpKXQ__4

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Owen said it perfectly, with a forum format, we all have exactly the same context if we're willing to not be (very very) lazy.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

I've always liked 4chan's solution to this problem where you create link(s) to reference the post(s) you're replying to, and a post automatically creates links to posts that reference it. Clicking these links takes you directly to the post in question, or just hovering your mouse over them will either highlight the post if it's on your screen or pop up a little window with the post if it's not. It makes it easy to follow specific threads of conversation, find the context of the post you're reading, or find out who else weighed in on a certain topic.

Last edited by ShadowDuelist (2015-03-17 21:58:22)

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Nothing can be worse than Youtubes solution. Wow, I can not be arsed to figure out that junk

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The one thing that has ever bugged me about forums is when people feel obliged to quote the whole post rather then cut down to the one sentence to which they refer.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

screwballscramble wrote:

Nothing can be worse than Youtubes solution. Wow, I can not be arsed to figure out that junk

Yup. That's why I use this to show Reddit's comments under a Youtube video instead :) http://alientube.co/

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down