Re: Lightwave for Beginners

UVs are a trip. Lemme know if you hit a snag.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've on and off modeled in Maya for ten years ish?! UV's, erg. I hate them! Mudbox and Ptex is the way to go!

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm scared.

http://i.imgur.com/SoKw0hg.png

Last edited by Owen_Ward (2015-03-30 20:38:35)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I done a short piss take of Jurassic Park with my mate - this is the pain I went through for a two second shot.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/414856_446914215319813_928668931_o.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Now that is awesome!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's been a good while since I've sat and modeled. I never have much time or enthusiasm for it nowerdays. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4LD6I6hxgs I wish I'd finished this though.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If you can find somewhere that sells time and enthusiasm, you should pick some up - you've got some serious skills there!

I figured out my model had some rogue polys that didn't appear to be doing anything, so I've deleted those and now the UV map looks less scarier (but still a bit terrifying).

http://i.imgur.com/5tTtHTU.png

Last edited by Owen_Ward (2015-03-30 21:24:53)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I haven't made sense of UV's, like ever. The goal post's keep moving. UV's ARE HORRID TWATS! 3d junk, is always an awful lot of work. But I love it. One day I'll  figure it all out. One day... sigh

Last edited by Regan (2015-03-30 21:29:01)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You might want to change your UV type to some other projection. (Dividing it into individual polygons is pretty psychotic. You're right to be scared, nobody would paint UVs onto a map like the one you've posted.) You can clump polys together in various ways, called "projections," which you should look into. Spherical, cylindrical, atlas, etc..

EDIT: Also, just so you've heard someone say it — there are times when you should use UV texturing, but unless I am absolutely forced to use UVs, by the circumstances or whatever, I never will. I hate UVs. There are other methods of putting an image onto an object.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Anything but automatic mapping

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's what I get for following a Youtube tutorial with hissy audio!

I had it in my head that UV mapping was the way to go, now it looks like everybody hates it. For something like this, what method would you recommend?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I rough out a lowish poly mesh with a rough form then export it to Mud mox and do my sculpting and painting in there. Then make displacemnet maps/bump and normal maps from there back onto a reduced lo-poly mesh and/or retopologised mesh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Owen, here's a video by my old teacher William Vaughan. After you've watched it, and maybe another video or two in the series, I think you will feel you brain unclench in a most satisfying way.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sweet! I've actually watched some of his tuts before, but I never come across this series. I know where the rest of my night is now going!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

In my intro-to-the-series video I mention him specifically. Great guy, great teacher.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ah, that'll be why the name has stuck out. That video alone was insanely helpful.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I aways wanted to be a 3d modeler -- but sharp found out that there's a million other people better than it than me. Wanted to work for pixar. My god are there some talented folk. Blows my mind some of the skilled artists out there these days.

Last edited by Regan (2015-03-30 22:16:18)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So, after watching that video I went to start creating my surfaces and found this little issue.

http://i.imgur.com/jtRfvmk.png

Only the box in the middle has a face, the rest are hollow. I've tried flipping and making them double-sided, but that doesn't seem to do anything, I'm guessing I didn't have the face selected when cloning the object. How would I go about fixing this? I've got a feeling I'm overlooking something really simple.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't do lightwave. Seems like flipped normals. Or a bug?!

Teagonsters is the force on this

Last edited by Regan (2015-03-30 22:29:21)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Looks like two identical sets of polygons with separate points are sitting right on top of each other — as if you made a duplicate but didn't move it — in which case, the solution would be to run a "merge points" on it and see if that collapses the redundancies.

Hit the " m " key, select "automatic."

Another thing you can do is select any one of the messed-up polygons and hit the " ] " key to select all of the polygons that are attached to it. Then cut-and-paste that onto another layer, or delete it, or whatever. If this is the correct diagnosis, upon deleting the whole big selected chunk of polys, you'll see another chunk of polys just sittin' there. Like the ol' "take off your sunglasses to reveal another pair of sunglasses" gag.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Seems like that wasn't the case for those boxes, so I just went and redid those. However, I did have two cockpit sections of the model overlapping each other, so I managed to get that sorted.

Learning!

EDIT: On further looking at it, there's overlapping everywhere!

Last edited by Owen_Ward (2015-03-30 22:49:38)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's not a bug, it's a feature!

Seriously, Own, I love the concept, and would use it in a novel without question smile

Looking forward to more screenshots smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I like to think it's the bastard lovechild of an X-Wing and Imperial Shuttle.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A little bit, which is probably why I like it. Also reminds me of a ship a friend of mine built out of Legos.

Also, don't know if you ever saw an Imperial Gunboat but there is a similar feel:

http://hangarbay.tripod.com/raith-gunboat2.jpg

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, texturing will always be flat, so if you're going for details, fix it in the mesh. A flat texture could be good enough on a wide shot, but not on a close up.

Thumbs up Thumbs down