Topic: FIYH Movie Club :: Suggestion Thread

So one of my favorite things about FIYH was getting introduced to movies I had no idea even existed but have since become some of my favorites. I think it's about time we carry on that spirit in a more concrete manner.

So I present the FIYH Forum Movie Club!

Here's how this is gonna work. Every week a new movie will be picked by a random member of the group and posted here, anyone that wants to join in, watches, and then we all talk about it (Like we tend to do around here). Sound like fun?

The specifics: I'll post the first movie we'll watch, and then from then on the next one will be picked by a random number generator. How we're going to do this, is the first time you post a comment about the current movie, leave a small note at the bottom with your suggestion for next weeks movie. Each suggestion will be given a number in order of posting, and then we spin a random number generator and off we go. (This is mainly to prevent long turnaround times, waiting for people to respond, this way we can just post the new movie right away.)

Now, rules for movies to suggest... short version: anything you think we should all watch. Long version: Anything you think we should all watch. We have such a diverse and international group here that I know every single one of you has a handful of obscure or lesser seen movies that you think everyone should watch. Well, now's your chance. But don't limit yourself to that, if you have something that you just really have been to get around to, post it, give yourself an excuse. Or maybe you just really really think everyone should watch Star Wars again this week. Go for it. The wheel will choose what it wishes.

RE: spoilers... the new movie will always be posted on the front page at the bottom of this post. If you venture any further beware, thar be spoilers ahead.

~~~~~~

When posting your movie suggestion use the following BBCode and substitute in the info (and incrementing the # from the last person who posted):

[ b ][ color=skyblue ]Week :: 1 :: Name :: Movie [ /color ][ /b ]

For example:

Week 002:: 001 :: BDA :: Attack Of The Mutant Cheeseburgers

Then the next person would post...

Week 002:: 002 :: Andrew Ryan :: Dystopia For Dummies Vol. 6

And so on and so forth.

MOVIE THREADS:

Movie 1: Evil Dead (1981): http://friendsinyourhead.com/forum/view … hp?id=1906
Movie 2: Mr. Brooks: http://friendsinyourhead.com/forum/view … hp?id=1907
Movie 3: The Eagle: http://friendsinyourhead.com/forum/view … hp?id=19087
Movie 4: High and Low: http://friendsinyourhead.com/forum/view … ?pid=56087
Movie 5: Mr. Nobody: http://friendsinyourhead.com/forum/view … hp?id=1920

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2015-04-30 04:53:33)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Re: FIYH Movie Club :: Suggestion Thread

If this is goin' strong in a few weeks, we'll make a board for it. Fun idea.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

http://static.tumblr.com/0s84qaa/P0Wma3cj7/tumblr_m4an96l6lx1rw0h05o1_500.gif

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Great idea BDA! Just wondering, if its a movie you've seen before, is it a requirement that you re-watch it for the purposes of the club, or can you just dive in and discuss?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

big_smile

At that point it's up to you. This whole thing started cause I A) Wanted to start finding new movies I hadn't heard of and B) Wanted to start watching all those ones I've been meaning to tongue

So your choice.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Awesome idea, my friend.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks for setting this up, BDA!  It's a terrific idea.  I'd been thinking about something similar, but don't have the time at the moment to really do the organization/cheerleading. 

Here's a suggestion for the proposals:  This maybe could get a little unwieldy, but what about when you suggest your movie, you write something (perhaps really briefly) about why you picked it?  Even if it's just "always been meaning to see it", maybe say a little something about *why* you want to see it, what attracts you to it, what your expectations are, etc.?  Especially if it's something a little non-mainstream, it'll give people some idea of where you're coming from on it.

If that's maybe too much to ask given that most people's suggestions won't get picked, maybe after the movie is officially selected, the proposer does the above in a separate post to signpost and kickoff the discussion?  Maybe a brief intro if it's a film they know well or just "Always been meaning to see it because I've heard XYZ and think ABC about it" if it's new to them?

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

I'm in!

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Guess it's time to watch Evil Dead then!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh, right — I suppose suggestions should be happening, too.

I nominate this format: [ b ][ color=skyblue ]Week :: # :: Name :: Movie [ /color ][ /b ]

Week 002 :: 1 :: Teague :: "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Week 002 :: 2 :: Owen :: "Cell 211"

Reason why: I saw this movie a good few years back now and at the time and it was a immense breath of fresh air that I ended up watching multiple times over a very short period.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Awesome idea.

Week 002 :: 3 :: TechNoir :: "The Chaser (2008)"

A favorite of mine, and one I can watch over and over. Korean, so hopefully everyone is comfortable with subtitles if this is picked...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Week 002:: 4 :: Writhyn :: "Reign of Fire" (2002)

This movie has dragons. And they used live flamethrowers for effects.
And a Star Wars recreation.
And Matt McCon' as a crazy tank commander.
I think it's underrated. Let's watch it.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Not to be a killjoy or dampen anyone's enthusiasm or anything, but I thought that BDA's original idea (which I do agree with actually) was that it was in your first posting making a comment about the current film that you made your suggestion for what the next film should be. 

Like I say, I kinda agree with that just 'cause it means that you have to be participating in some minimal way in order to get your suggestion into the hat.  Sure, people could always just say "I thought the running time was appropriate" and then suggest something, but the idea is to enter into the spirit of the thing, which is to have a reason to 'force ourselves' to watch and think about films that we might not ordinarily see.  I'm sure everybody above is watching this week's film as we speak, but I just thought I'd make the clarification.

However, we can of course decide whatever we want.  Just my $0.02.

Last edited by sellew (2015-04-02 18:59:22)

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love this idea, BDA.

I might not have the chance to watch this coming film, but hope to jump in soon smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yah, I mean the thinking was to put your suggestion with your first post about the movie to drive interaction and keep the randomly picked movie within the group of people who are interacting and talking.

But it's not a huge deal we all kinda know each other round here, I think we can pretty easily figure out where to send the angry mob if someone isn't playing in the spirit of things tongue

And I like that idea Teague, I will add it to the main post.

In terms of the description, I'll leave that one up to the individual. The whole point of randomly choosing one, is that you never know what's going to come up next, just that it's something someone in the group wantyed us all to watch. So /personally/ I would say I like it without any spoilers whatsoever, even just the description. Just knowing one of you thinks it's worth watching is enough, and the rest will be a surprise. But that's just me.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

sellew wrote:

Not to be a killjoy or dampen anyone's enthusiasm or anything, but I thought that BDA's original idea (which I do agree with actually) was that it was in your first posting making a comment about the current film that you made your suggestion for what the next film should be. 

Like I say, I kinda agree with that just 'cause it means that you have to be participating in some minimal way in order to get your suggestion into the hat.  Sure, people could always just say "I thought the running time was appropriate" and then suggest something, but the idea is to enter into the spirit of the thing, which is to have a reason to 'force ourselves' to watch and think about films that we might not ordinarily see.  I'm sure everybody above is watching this week's film as we speak, but I just thought I'd make the clarification.

However, we can of course decide whatever we want.  Just my $0.02.

That does makes sense. Also less bloat, with separate posts for suggestions and talking about the movie of the week it will get a bit jumbled.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm in too.

Also, about the suggestion thing, just look at the episode suggestions board. It's not exactly clean.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I suggest people suggest movies that are reasonably available. If it's streaming somewhere, it will make a big difference in people's ability to see it and participate.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Zarban wrote:

I suggest people suggest movies that are reasonably available...

Agreed. At the very least see if it's available to rent on Google Play Store.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I made a graphic and put it in the banner. Wanna give this thing as fair-a-shake at getting some attention as possible.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

I've seen Evil Dead 2, but I don't remember seeing the original, so I'm up for this.
I'll see if I can come up with an efficient and manageable way to link some kind of publicly-editable document (since I'm sure we're fine with the honour-system here) and a random-number generator, too.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

I looked up this week's movie...sorry guys. I don't have the stomach for that kind of movie. I'll have to wait for the next one. If that disqualifies my choice from the lottery I understand.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fantastic idea.
I'm so in, but things are pretty busy at the moment (first week of new job) so I hope it's ok to join the club in the second week.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Not being a fan of horror movies particularly, I don't have lots of context for this film (though I could swear that I saw it on home video like 25 years ago, but apparently remembered nothing about it).  However, I think it would be good in a double-bill with Cabin in the Woods (which I've also never seen, though I know it by reputation, and really want to see it now), just because it seems like The Evil Dead could be the beginning of the postmodern, for lack of a better word, trend in horror (with Cabin in the Woods being its culmination). 

It's hugely self-conscious and (self-)referential.  That's definitely what struck me the most.  In the cellar there's what must be a bit of theatrical poster for Wes Craven's The Hills Have Eyes; Ash does the old mirror gag from Jean Cocteau's Orphée (see also The Matrix); the ridiculously OTT sequence with the projector in the cellar shining on Ash which gradually gets covered in blood.  (Geez, how more meta can you get?)

Of the horror/exploitation films that preceded this, I've only seen Romero's two zombie movies and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (and all a long time ago), but I don't remember any of them being explicitly self-regarding in this way.  Dawn of the Dead has some comedy and social commentary, for example, but this is something else entirely. 

Normally I find all that crap unbelievably annoying (which is largely why I'm not a fan of The Princess Bride), but I actually don't mind it here.  Maybe that's partly because I'm not really well-versed in the genre, so it seems fresher, but I'm sure part of it is the the obvious enthusiasm that Sam Raimi brings to the material.  I really do get a sense of glee from the direction and the again OTT makeup effects. 

I suppose the thing that's the biggest letdown is the script and the characterization.  The actors don't seem to be much more than props that move around (maybe not hugely surprising, given where Raimi's interests obviously lie).  It's like the script doesn't bother even with the cliched genre-staple characterizations.  That's actually another reason why I really now want to see Cabin in the Woods -- to see what Whedon/Goddard do with this idea in terms of the characters (though they apparently have other fish to fry in terms of heading off into the meta-stratosphere). 

Week 2 :: 6 :: sellew :: Solaris (2002)
Duncan Jones, but with a little more money.  How does this film only have a 6.2 rating on IMDB?

Last edited by sellew (2015-04-04 17:02:48)

Thumbs up Thumbs down