Re: Lightwave for Beginners

Work with a camera. The amount of detail you need will solely depend on what you see, and you'll decide whether you need to add detail on the model or if bump and specular maps will do (and they do more often than you'd think).

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I've been posting some stuff in the chat, but for anybody that's been following my progress I thought I'd whack this up here.

I've started applying some basic textures. Still getting the hang of it, but I'm getting there.

http://i.imgur.com/tYE1J74.png

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

I've got to tell ya, this whole "teach Owen Lightwave" thing — the videos, all of it — might be my favorite ongoing project.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I wish I still had Derpachu to stick in the cockpit.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Changed the textures around.
http://i.imgur.com/lTqZFx4.png

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Keep up the good work, Owen. I'm really enjoying seeing the progression, mostly because I have no other notes to offer than keep going.

And please, please, please, take this as the compliment that I mean it: with it textured, it reminds of the video game Descent ships.

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/7/6094/33201.jpg

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Thanks! Considering this whole process has basically been 3D improv ('Right, I have a box. Now what happens if I move this down here? Huh, looks kind of like a spaceship. Let's develop on that.'), a comparison to existing work is quite a compliment.

Apart from the initial, 'OMG I'M MAKING A THING!' excitement, I've felt the need to keep posting progress updates to demonstrate what you can do from a total newbies perspective. With Teague's tutorials, a little Googling and some thinking - you can make some pretty cool stuff.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I might have to try this, some day. When school is done...

But, it is encouraging to know that a complete artistic moron such as myself may be able to figure it.

Not saying you're a moron, Owen. Just that, I feel slightly more hopeful for myself.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Do it! We can be morons together.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The original Pyro-DX from Descent I + II will always be the best <3 The D3 ones are neat but not the same.

Er I mean. tongue

Really digging the texturing work so far, Owen. It's got this aesthetic of being a rusted out 70's Chevy... in space. I can imagine its engines not firing quite simultaneously so it rocks a bit on its frame, like when you see a truck with the brakes out of whack and the bed rocking around when the truck starts moving again.

Last edited by Boter (2015-04-06 06:28:33)

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Can a space ship backfire? That's what I want to know!

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

A slight flare in the port fusion reactor when powering up from a dead stop tongue

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I can tell already animating this is gonna be fun.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So, just for my information, would you/anyone be interested in me doing a follow-up series on Layout?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yes. All of the yes's. I won't have a two year gap in-between doing stuff again, I promise.

Last edited by Owen_Ward (2015-04-06 17:40:03)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://i.imgur.com/279l7sK.png

Not much change since the last one I showed you guys, but I think I'm gonna go ahead and call it final (for now at least). I think I'd rather learn from my mistakes with this model and apply those to the next instead of pulling my hair out trying to get this one to do what I want. Besides, I really just wanna comp this thing now and see how it looks on some footage.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

LET'S LIGHT THIS BITCH UP!!

/Text because caps./

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I went off and outlined what the main videos in a followup Layout series would be. Now it's just a matter of finding the time to do it.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll give you 2,000 times now. Plus 15 when we reach upload.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down