Re: Interstellar (with spoilers)

Darth Praxus wrote:

For anyone who wanted the score and was disappointed that the docking scene wasn't part of it, there's good news and bad news and good news again. a.) The first good news is that Zimmer convinced his higher-ups to let him upload a version of that bit of the score to iTunes. b.) The bad news is that it's an alternate mix without organ, strings, etc. c.) The second good news is that a brave soul on Reddit managed to painstakingly piece together the correct mix and made it available as an mp3. Sound quality is quite good.

For anyone really really really into the score, Roger Sayer (who's the organist) is doing a lunchtime organ recital tomorrow on the Temple Church Organ (the one used in Interstellar)...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 … usive.html

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Anyone else get legitimately mad at the "corrected textbook" bit because it seems like something that could actually happen in this country? That was MM's "save the cat" moment for me.

I saw it in 70mm and loved every second of it. Perfect blend of planetarium nostalgia and emotional roller-coaster film experience. Could have watched another three hours of them in space doing stuff. I cried so many times.

I'm just so happy science fiction is getting this kind of attention.

Yeah, the science is pretty spotty, which is disappointing. Yeah, Matt Damon's character is awful. Yeah, the "love is key" thing was frustrating (partially because my born-again relatives took it literally) Yeah, there's a ton of fridge logic just like Inception or Dark Knight Rises.

The score, the visuals, the emotion... all were incredible. Michael Cane's death scene was the only time I couldn't understand the audio.

My favorite element was the robot design. At first it's a comical slab of metal, but then as the film goes on, you see all these kick-ass features. Justifying the comic relief as a necessary component of making humans accept the robots was great.

I was so happy walking out of the theater. It was startling to overhear other people mocking different parts of the movie around me. I guess I'm just not as cynical toward scifi movies as I am for other blockbusters.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Rogue 2 wrote:

Anyone else get legitimately mad at the "corrected textbook" bit because it seems like something that could actually happen in this country? That was MM's "save the cat" moment for me.

I was physically angry at that part. Shaking. It's not often I have that reaction to a film.

Rogue 2 wrote:

I was so happy walking out of the theater. It was startling to overhear other people mocking different parts of the movie around me. I guess I'm just not as cynical toward scifi movies as I am for other blockbusters.

The same thing happened to me the second time I saw Her. The first time I saw it I was completely alone in the theatre, and it such a special, personal experience. The second time there were two women sitting in the front mocking it as the credits started rolling, and the part of me that was so emotionally devastated by the film wanted to run back and yell at them. Similar thing happened when I tried to watch it with my family, so I guess it's just one of those things I'm destined to watch alone the rest of my life.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Darth Praxus wrote:

...Similar thing happened when I tried to watch it with my family, so I guess it's just one of those things I'm destined to watch alone the rest of my life.

I had a similar experience with Her. Screening I went to was empty except for myself and a friend, and we both really enjoyed it.

Imagine being able to watch a 70mm screening all to yourself. No talking, no sounds of eating or shuffling around... That would be heaven.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

switch wrote:

I liked this movie, but my only gripe is the music.  dear God that awful music!  45 minutes of the same 4 notes on a loop is not good for movie music!  Hans Zimmer has gotten lazy lately.

I'm with you on that. Granted an unpopular opinion on the forum. I'm torn between 'fitting drone' and 'please hit another note'. Either way... I can't tell if I'm being a picky arse or, and more to the point, that I noticed the score - and wanted more. Either or it took me out of the moment. So, on my standards... it failed.

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Saw it again, this time in IMAX. The theater shook and rattled and it was blisteringly loud -- and I still had absolutely ZERO trouble hearing any of the dialog throughout the entire film.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fucking phenomenal. This is the movie about space I unconsciously knew I'd always wanted to see. It's everything I wanted Gravity to be, but wasn't. It's a true heir to 2001.

I'll try my hand at a more complete review later on, but I want to see it again before that.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So true... smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just saw this for the first time. I liked it, though had a hard time following who was on which planet and why they went where. Big thing I thought was clear that seems to have confused other people.
The end shows Hathaway contemplating a placard which leads us to think that the science ship was destroyed there and people killed. So people keep saying she's alone.

She smiles and starts walking back to a large, powered camp the camera suddenly reveals. Is this supposed to be for just her?
I thought it showed that this planet was the success, and the scientists were alive and helping her prepare a colony.

Also I thought the wormhole collapsed after MM did his thing in the Time Room?

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Writhyn wrote:

Just saw this for the first time. I liked it, though had a hard time following who was on which planet and why they went where. Big thing I thought was clear that seems to have confused other people.
The end shows Hathaway contemplating a placard which leads us to think that the science ship was destroyed there and people killed. So people keep saying she's alone.

She smiles and starts walking back to a large, powered camp the camera suddenly reveals. Is this supposed to be for just her?
I thought it showed that this planet was the success, and the scientists were alive and helping her prepare a colony.

Also I thought the wormhole collapsed after MM did his thing in the Time Room?

If I recall, the placard was a burial for that scientist she had loved. The camp was there when she got to the planet, but everyone was dead by then, because something like 80 years had passed since she left Earth. So she was picking up where they left off.

I don't recall the wormhole collapsing at any point.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

An earlier draft(s) of the script called for the wormhole to collapse when they try to send the data from the black hole back through. I don't think it ever gets mentioned in this film, tho. The tessaract collapses, but the tesseract is a pocket dimension inside the black hole (lol science and shit!). The wormhole is a separate thing.

The wormhole is connected to the the Gargantua system. Gargantua conceals the Tesseract in/near it's singularity, while is connected to the wormhole going the other way. It's a Y-shaped passageway for some reason. Or someth'n. Who the fuck knows, least of all Chris and Jonathan who don't seem to care about such details.

Apparently humans from the future pushed the y-shaped wormhole towards Saturn, which is apparently an easier thing to do than give us a pesticide to spray on the blight.

I dunno know much, but I'm willing to bet five-dimensional wormhole physics is a bloody lot harder than a new weedkiller formula. So if you want to help us out you aliens/humans from the future, then just help us out.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So humanity evolves beyond 4 dimensions because it saves itself by reaching back in time after evolving beyond 4 dimensions by...

It's a Terminator style time loop. Except in the Terminator humans had a pretty good reason to mess with the timeline. Not so much in Interstellar though.

Last edited by Lamer (2015-04-12 17:54:35)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

To be fair, it's completely speculation that they're actually future humans. Cooper thinks that's what's happening, but there's no evidence to suggest that's the case.

I could also see a version where Anne Hathaway's colony grow to become the future humans, and build the tesseract centuries later to save the people they left behind on earth.

But ya, the Terminator-style loop is probably the more accepted answer, it's all a single timeline.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also remember that this is a 2001-monolith thing. The future humans wanted to engineer a situation where the present humans would significantly advance their science and culture. The point wasn't just to save their lives, because if it was they could've just stopped the blight. They wanted to advance the human race.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Also remember that this is a 2001-monolith thing. The future humans wanted to engineer a situation where the present humans would significantly advance their science and culture. The point wasn't just to save their lives, because if it was they could've just stopped the blight. They wanted to advance the human race.

But the future humans are already advanced. If we had a time machine now, why would we feel compelled to go back to the Palaeolithic and help them along? "Here's how you smelt metal you numbskulls. And here's how you plant seeds. And you can domestic x,y,z species but not these ones. Now stop hitting each other over the head with clubs and get civilized.

It's gotta be aliens coming along to give us a leg up (in a vague and round-about way). That makes more sense than future humans. Nolan just threw that in there to fuck with us. Not tying up all the loose ends keeps people talking about it.

Just give us the blight pesticide, Mr Alien. Good ol' Earth, even with the blight, looked more hospitable than that barren Anne Hathaway planet orbiting a turbulent supermassive black hole.

Last edited by avatar (2015-04-14 16:26:12)

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's definitely an issue with any story about leaving the earth. The fact is, in almost any conceivable scenario, it would be cheaper and easier to engineer a solution to the problems on Earth than to migrate the population to another world. You certainly have to wonder how their space-station cornfields magically don't have any of the problems with blight, it would seem like that would still be a problem for them.

Personally, I think they should've leaned harder on the atmosphere becoming unbreathable than focusing so much on the corn. That seems like the much bigger issue long-term, but they kind of gloss over it.

Weirdly, the trashy scifi-horror movie Pandorum actually handles this same setup in a more believable way, and with way less screen-time.

Last edited by bullet3 (2015-04-13 00:41:34)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

But the future humans are already advanced. If we had a time machine now, why would we feel compelled to go back to the Palaeolithic and help them along? "Here's how you smelt metal you numbskulls. Are here's how you plant seeds. And you can domestic x,y,z species but not these ones. Now stop hitting each other over the head with clubs and get civilized.

Because it's a closed-loop thing. If they don't help the past humans become advanced, then they'll die off and never become the future humans.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:
Doctor Submarine wrote:

But the future humans are already advanced. If we had a time machine now, why would we feel compelled to go back to the Palaeolithic and help them along? "Here's how you smelt metal you numbskulls. Are here's how you plant seeds. And you can domestic x,y,z species but not these ones. Now stop hitting each other over the head with clubs and get civilized.

Because it's a closed-loop thing. If they don't help the past humans become advanced, then they'll die off and never become the future humans.

Two things:

First, don't you need one of these:

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee49/dude1818/The%20Oncoming%20Storm%20v2/ParadoxMachine.jpg

Secondly,

I think this kind of describes the effect (not perfectly, mind you):

http://www.sott.net/image/6255/The_Independent_Time_machine.jpg

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just seen this (finally). What an engrossing, beautiful and thought-provoking film. I loved every minute of it. That it doesn't answer every question sweetens the experience. Further, I can't help but think that it's a 2001 with all the characters and emotions that film lacked.

Sam F wrote:
Writhyn wrote:

If I recall, the placard was a burial for that scientist she had loved. The camp was there when she got to the planet, but everyone was dead by then, because something like 80 years had passed since she left Earth. So she was picking up where they left off.

I don't recall the wormhole collapsing at any point.

There was only ever one scientist that reached that planet, Edmunds, as all the Lazarus astronauts were solo missions. He presumably died sometime between his arrival and the Endurance's departure from Earth.  That last shot is her burying Edmunds and returning to the camp that she has set up or added to with the equipment from the Endurance. It's inhabited by her, CASE and that point some babies in tubes.

So Murph isn't quite right that she's alone out there.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Did anyone see Star Talk with Neil de Grasse Tyson and Christopher Nolan this week?

Terrible format - subtract advertising, intros, recaps, banal banter with comedian, etc and you're left with 5-10 minute interview, all chopped up into 2 sentence fragments. Tyson interviewing for the entire time would be better.

Nolan would be a great politician - doesn't say anything. Very bland interviewee. But heart in the right place when it comes to science.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down