Topic: Forum Evolution

Alright, folks. Let's get naked.

No, what? Is that not what you were thinking? That's not what I was thinking, I thought that was what you were thinking.

Okay, jesus, lemme start over.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Forum Evolution

Alright, folks. Let's talk evolution.

In this "interim" period — well, assumed interim period, assuming there's going to be some other formal reason for this forum existing in the future — I think it'd be fun to do some tiny little experiments with the boardsystem.

There's currently two community-amusement initiatives going on — the "movie club" thing, and the "Friends in Your Dungeon" thing — and if they catch on as something that enough people enjoy doing, they both strike me as the kinds of projects that would benefit from having a dedicated board. Like, we already have "Off-Topic" and "Episodes," and we could also add "FIYH Movie Club" and "FIYH Gamin' Dungeon." Or whatever.

I wouldn't want to make a change like that only to have it dwindle two weeks later, and as such I'm hesitant to be hasty about it... but, it does seem like it'd be a cool thing to do if turned out to be worth it.

My question for you is twofold, and we shall commence in a vibrant discussion of your ensuing opinions.

1. Do you like the idea semi-formalizing community efforts like this?

2. While we're at it, do you have any pitches / brainstorms / ideas for additional ones?

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

An idea might be having subforums, so that Movie Club and Gamin' Dungeon could be inside of Off Topic. Alternatively, I don't know how easy it is to move them around, if it starts as a seperate one but six months down the line it fizzles and could get rearranged as an OT subforum.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Subforums are cool. You could have a general "Community activity" category, with all the ongoing activities as its subforums. If an activity ceases to be a thing, its subforum can go - doesn't have to be deleted, it can be archived in an "Archives" category. I might be wrong, but moving subforums around probably isn't a pain in the ass with forum systems such as PunBB.

Last edited by Saniss (2015-04-16 19:16:13)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I like the idea of semi-formalizing things, though taking such things slowly is probably a good idea.

I don't have any ideas for a new subforum subject currently. I suspect such things will arise organically as we go along.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm gonna second Saniss, the frenchie is talkin' sense.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well just speaking selfishly, I'd love to have a separate section for the movie club. A) so the posts don't keep getting lost, and B) It would just help get some eyes on it, instead of being hidden in the off-topic section.

That said, I do really like the idea of having subforums for these various sorts of projects. It's always struck me as weird that the FIYH only really has 4-5 sections. I think the most logical way to do it, would be to create a separate section (Ala, off-topic, episodes) on the main page for "Community Projects" or something like that, and then within that have various sub forums and threads for things like the Movie Club or song projects, or fanfilms, or Road Trips, or what have you. Anything that involves community coordination and communication basically.

Cause I'm sure it would be nice for,say, Zarban's project to have a thread specifically just for VFX communication, or edit communication, without creating 16 different threads in off-topic.

And then keep the off-topic section generally like it is now, (not cluttered up with subforums), cause I think that's been working out well for us.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2015-04-18 12:38:55)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Damn. BDA's post makes a lot of sense.

Witness me!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

The counter-argument though is that if you put it in its own section, you will only get people who already know about the project to click there, whereas having it as part of the off-topic section, you'll get people just browsing casually to see it.

No idea if that's true but it had occurred to me. I certainly visit the Reviews section way less than off-topic for example, so the more you divide the forum into sub-sections, the more you segment the userbase.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You visit the reviews section way less because no one posts in the reviews section.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

The movie club would kinda fit in the review section though?

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Sure, but if we're going that way, technically creations, reviews,  and pitches can all fit in off-topic.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Technically, since the podcast is done and the forum isn't really attached to a project anymore, everything is off topic.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd argue that everything is on topic now.

*drops mic*

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Saniss, bringing the real talk.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I interpret this as "Keep your nerd stuff to yourselves"

http://www.thewright-stuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/partitionedscoopdish.jpeg

Thumbs up Thumbs down