Re: Intermission 010 - Making things on the TV box.

The article I saw said part of this was in response to people sharing their HBO Go password. Expect that to no longer be possible smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

More details on Entertainment Weekly, indicating that they're considering three models.

Plepler ran down three potential distribution models for the streaming service.

The first is to sell the online-only service through HBO’s existing cable providers. (For example, if you have broadband service through Time Warner or Comcast and want the network’s streaming service, you would be able to purchase the online service without having any cable channels.)

The second is to distribute the service via new partners like Amazon, Google or Microsoft.

The third method would be to attempt the Netflix model, whereby HBO markets its streaming service direct to consumers and skips the middlemen.

Is HBO Go currently a USA only thing? I've never even looked into it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

They finally read that screed I left on their comments page. You're welcome.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Phi wrote:

More details on Entertainment Weekly, indicating that they're considering three models.

Plepler ran down three potential distribution models for the streaming service.

The first is to sell the online-only service through HBO’s existing cable providers. (For example, if you have broadband service through Time Warner or Comcast and want the network’s streaming service, you would be able to purchase the online service without having any cable channels.)

The second is to distribute the service via new partners like Amazon, Google or Microsoft.

The third method would be to attempt the Netflix model, whereby HBO markets its streaming service direct to consumers and skips the middlemen.

Is HBO Go currently a USA only thing? I've never even looked into it.

Yup, US only. The computer you connect to the service has to have a US IP address, including Hawaii and Alaska.

Related note: They just announced that they are going to offer a "streaming only" service like Netflix as an option for non-HBO subscribers. I would have gotten this years ago, if it didn't at the time mean I would have had to get both cable -and- HBO.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Byshop wrote:

Related note: They just announced that they are going to offer a "streaming only" service like Netflix as an option for non-HBO subscribers. I would have gotten this years ago, if it didn't at the time mean I would have had to get both cable -and- HBO.

Not to be /that/ guy, but that's kinda what we've been talking about.

Anyways, my reaction when I first heard the news was "ABOUT FUCKING TIME" Granted it doesn't really change anything for non-us peeps, we all still get to the piracy route. So...yah...woo. /sarcasm

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2014-10-16 04:27:11)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:
Byshop wrote:

Not to be /that/ guy, but that's kinda what we've been talking about.

Anyways, my reaction when I first heard the news was "ABOUT FUCKING TIME" Granted it doesn't really change anything for non-us peeps, we all still get to the piracy route. So...yah...woo. /sarcasm

My bad. The article I read was dated today and the most recent message in the thread was from yesterday and seemed to be talking about it like it were a hypothetical. I'm usually good about reading the entire thread before I post, so mia culpa.

Last edited by Byshop (2014-10-16 07:42:41)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I recently read this really good article about what was going on at HBO between then (when this Intermission was made) and HBO Now: http://www.fastcompany.com/3044284/bring-it-on

Thumbs up Thumbs down