Re: What Are You Watching - TV Edition

Gritty might be a poor term, but if I say "realistic" I don't think it quite carries over my meaning. I love Murdock and his attitude, as well as the fact that he is willing to put himself in harms way, and get hurt really badly but still does it. I love the fact that he knows he can get hurt, and tries to protect those around him but struggles to do right by everyone.

I don't know. Its a very character driven piece.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"You said gritty city again".

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

I don't think it quite carries over my meaning. I love Murdock and his attitude, as well as the fact that he is willing to put himself in harms way, and get hurt really badly but still does it.

Oh god, the second episode. Just how completely wrecked he was the entire way through it, and how destroyed and exhausted he was by the end of it, and then that fucking fight to cap it off. just to save that one kid. At the end of that episode I knew this show knew what it was doing. Absolutely fantastic.

I have a whole thing I want to write up for daredevil, but I'll say I have never seen the MCU do ANYTHING even remotely as character oriented as Daredevil. Everything about this series is 100% about the characters and what's happening to them, and what they are doing. The "super" aspect of this "superhero" show, is almost ancillary, most of the time you forget that there are superpowers involved. It's just a story about these people trying to make it fucking work. Even when Matt is Daredevil, he's not invulnerable, he's not some demigod, he's just a guy trying to figure out what's right, and trying to make the world a bit better. And getting the ever living shit beat out of him along the way.

Daredevil also has easily the most rounded villain of the MCU. Fisk feels exactly as human and well rounded as every other character in this show. He just happens to be the bad guy.

Daredevil really really hit me hard. It's unlike anything I've seen from the Superhero thing up to now. And honestly kinda went a lot further than I thought they could with the genre.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2015-04-25 22:41:36)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

redxavier wrote:

"You said gritty city again".

I need to buy a thesaurus...

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sorry, it's not a criticism, it's a movie quote. I do that a lot.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Herc wrote:

I just wanna say: I'm sure everyone's bored of hearing things described as "gritty" all the damn time, but one of the most pleasant surprises about Daredevil is that Matt Murdock is almost constantly smiling. It's nice.

Did they show the baby turtles at all?

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

Sorry, it's not a criticism, it's a movie quote. I do that a lot.

Oh, I didn't realize. Not a movie quote I recognize...:)

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's pretty obscure in retrospect. It's from Three Kings (which hopefully we'll have voted in as a FIYH movie club choice sometime), and the response in the movie is something like "who gives a shit these people are dying!"

Most people remember song lyrics, I remember movie lines (but not lyrics, I'm hopeless with them).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I usually remember film lines too, but I actually never saw Three Kings so I missed it.

Actually, I have a lot of Red vs. Blue memorized too (as well as all of Emperor's New Groove) but not everyone knows them so I just laugh to myself wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Orphan Black season 3!
Allison is consistently the most joyfully entertaining aspect of Orphan Black. Don't get me wrong, I love the rest of the show and characters, but Allison/Donnie, Allison/Felix, Allison/whoever is the best. I genuinely would watch an Allison spin-off. For serious.

To be honest, I would also watch a spin-off which was nothing but Helena reviewing food.

God damn, Tatiana Maslany is so fucking good.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Orphan Black is stellar.  Allison is reliably hilarious.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Anyone watching HUMANS?

Robots are domestic servants, a British re-make of a Swedish series.
I watched the first six episodes, but ready to bail out.
None of the characters pass the PLINKETT test. The entire main family mopes about incessantly.
There's a rogue sentient robot sub-plot that's been done better in Blade Runner. Episode after episode, we're only drip-fed the back-story.
Is it just another allegory for slavery or discrimination? Even worse, I can easily see this descending into standard soap tropes.
On the plus side, some of the actors playing robots look reasonably convincing - almost in the uncanny valley.

There's so much that could be explored, but this series pulls its punches. It doesn't have the budget for world-building (the impact on the economy would be huge). The rules on what the robots are and aren't capable of aren't clear.

Awaiting the American remake of the British remake of the Swedish series...

http://www.writingtimes.co.uk/Websites/writingtimes/images/Humans-la-nueva-apuesta-de-AMC-image.jpg

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Anyone watching HUMANS?

Robots are domestic servants, a British re-make of a Swedish series.
I watched the first six episodes, but ready to bail out.
None of the characters pass the PLINKETT test. The entire main family mopes about incessantly.
There's a rogue sentient robot sub-plot that's been done better in Blade Runner. Episode after episode, we're only drip-fed the back-story.
Is it just another allegory for slavery or discrimination? Even worse, I can easily see this descending into standard soap tropes.
On the plus side, some of the actors playing robots look reasonably convincing - almost in the uncanny valley.

There's so much that could be explored, but this series pulls its punches. It doesn't have the budget for world-building (the impact on the economy would be huge). The rules on what the robots are and aren't capable of aren't clear.

Awaiting the American remake of the British remake of the Swedish series...

Third time is the charm?

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81+HloHHyuL._RI_.jpg

Bob Odenkirk is all-timer levels of good in this season, and he still might not even be the best performer on the show.

I won't be able to make this statement definitively until the series is over (fifth and what I'm thinkin' is the final season will be happening sometime a year from now), but I think this is better than Breaking Bad. It's far less big and flashy but it's rooted down to its bones in character, and the way it's slid over the course of four seasons from mostly comedy to full-on nihilistic tragedy is astounding. It's so much more deeply sad than BB because there's not even the possibility of hope. Jimmy McGill is gonna become Saul Goodman and all we can do is watch and hope to God he doesn't wreck too many more people on his way down.

Last edited by Abbie (2018-10-09 02:51:42)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think I might be enjoying it more the BB. Sooo good! Saul Good...! If it does end next year, I'll be sad, but not mad.

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down