Re: Community Project: "Still Alive" Music Video

So, I'm about to dig in on this. I thought it could be a fun process to stream, so I'll be doing that when I work on it. My schedule and availability for working on this project is subject to random changes and sudden interruption, and any given editing session may end with little warning because I got called away, or whatever. In that case, the stream will stop, and it'll get picked back up on later in a subsequent post.

Anyway. Hang out if ya want, I'll be keeping an eye on the forum chatroom.

Disclaimer: People's raw takes will be onscreen, and I take very seriously the matter of not-making-fun of people when it comes to their raw takes. (For this and for everything else.) Performance is a very self-conscious thing to do and it requires quite a bit of trust, and as such we're — all — very grateful for everyone who sent in something, and their trust is not misplaced. Ya dig? I will be very pissed if I see anybody in the chat making fun of someone's onscreen appearance during these editing sessions.

(Well, making fun of anyone else. Making fun of me is fair game.)

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I've never been in a metal band, and I don't really want to be in Lord of the Rings.

Eat it, nerds.

It goes without saying that I really, really can't wait for the result of all this.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Yay, it's happening! Don't you.....forget about me!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

So, is it done?

I'm confused.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Nope. Well, the song isn't. The deadline is officially past... but, until I'm done editing, that's not technically a dealbreaker for anything yet.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I am a failure.

"To Spork you listen."  - Trey Stokes

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Goin' live here in a little while. Got some transcoding to do first — don't wanna make you guys (and me) watch a progress bar slide by. Maybe an hour? I'll add a little red recording icon to the announcement bar when I'm live.

Also, Spork, until I'm done editing, I can still squeeze ya into the edit.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

holy crap, a live thing whilst I'm actually awake? Awesome. I mean, it's not even evening here yet!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Apparently I find watching workflow videos calming. And educational.

I'm about 50 minutes into this one and FYI, you can use whatever audio you want from my stuff, but the audio on my video files was from the itty bitty camera mic and the audio takes (pre-'stemmed') from my actual microphone are uploaded separately: http://www.phispace.net/lj/dif/StillAlive%20-%20Phi.zip

I decided to leave the joy of ma(tc/s)hing them together to you. smile

Maybe you realize this later in the video...

Last edited by Phi (2015-04-08 02:02:16)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Painful to watch audio editing in Premier but I get your reasoning for it - syncing vid. I've had a think... and the only way I can see as a work around is, creating the song in your DAW of choice (for easier audio editing and tools and junk) and when the song is finished, screen video capture your DAW playback so you can see the takes as video dummy track. To edit to. But, there must be an easier way.

In a small way, I know the pain of audio editing a song in premier...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVBoPOsXxp0

a vid I made 10 years ago ish but it was easier using the Premier pro timeline as a psuedo tempo track with all vids only being 1 beat stab things.

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm not gonna actually edit the song in Premiere. I'm just doing the comping in Premiere.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

That fuck. sketching out is one thing... making a song is another thing. It hurts my brain thinking of the logistics if it all

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Estimated time of arrival?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

WID.

Oh, look only capital letters!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

You forgot my vocals you silly bugger! tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Seems like he forgot, or intentionally left out, my takes aside from Vox and Bass too tongue So far at least. Plenty of process yet to go!

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Gonna get Owen in there vox-wise for sure, and probably gonna fill a lot of gaps with more Boter. Right now my priority is to fit everyone in there at least once, and once I'm past that I'll start doubling folks up.

You know, it's like dinner at the buffet. Or whatever.

I'm a little paranoid I'm forgetting someone entirely, though. Anyone come to mind?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I know you mentioned in the stream that you plan on doing different vox for different verses and then trying to layer it with the chorus. Not sure if that is still the plan but that is what I remember.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Did you get the vocal take I sent you?

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

IT WAS YOU.

I knew I was forgetting someone. Yessir, thanks for reminding me.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Very cool! This was the first one I actually watched all the way through instead of just scrubbing to find me.

Did you take a picture of the whiteboard in color that you can share with us? I'm curious. So curious in fact that last night I think I dreamed I was at your place and you'd erased it and used the whiteboard for something else and I was so irrationally angry. (I am not actually as invested in the whiteboard as that dream would have you believe.)

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Ha. Well, I can take a picture from where I'm sitting.

Here ya go.

(Four megs, so I made it a linky instead of an embed in case of mobile.)

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love this. Nice setup. But, what on earth is the green jar?

Thumbs up Thumbs down