Topic: Week 4: High and Low

High and Low-

http://www.impawards.com/1963/posters/high_and_low.jpg

As suggested by redxavier.

Discuss!

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Re: Week 4: High and Low

excellent, now I have an excuse to finally watch this.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Any ideas where to get this?

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've not forgotten this, just been rather busy these last couple of weeks and I wanted to watch it again to see my take on it has changed.
Hope others were able to watch!

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ohh, great choice. The Criterion blu-ray is fantastic if you can get your hands on it.

The cinematography and compositions are off the charts great, and the story is a pretty cool retro-procedural, in that you get to see how this type of investigation would be carried out 60 years ago vs today.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm still trying to get it!

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Only managed to watch the first hour so far, but really love it, and definitely want to get to it but have been really busy as well. 

On what I've seen, I totally agree with bullet3 that the periodic tableaus (tableaux?) of people in the apartment are amazing compositionally -- looking all in slightly different directions, across each other, etc.  And for any experts on mid-20th century Japanese criminal law:  it's not extortion if it's not a family member?  Really?

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's also a very interesting story structurally. The first half plays out entirely in one location like a stage play,
you get the train sequence (which feels very hitchcock) as the half-way point, and then the 2nd half opens way up into a sprawling investigation that goes all over the place.

You really see the seeds of a lot of Fincher's late-period work, the deeply procedural montages in Girl with the Dragon Tattoo or Zodiac.

Last edited by bullet3 (2015-05-14 20:19:33)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Writhyn, do you have a Barnes and Noble in your area?  That's where I got my copy.  If they don't have it right now, they can order a copy for you.

This movie made me believe in movies again.  After all the AvengerSuperhero and Franchise crap that we've seen recently, I was starting to lose faith in actual movies that told us something about human beings.  But this movie is Awesome!  I remember seeing the first half when I was in my early 20's along with Stray Dogs, and being completely baffled by the craft in it.  The blocking in this movie is really well done.  And this guy does oners like nobody's business in this movie!  The first hour alone has multiple long takes that put Curon to shame IMO.  Everybody NEEDS to see this movie at least once.
  Also, Akira Kurosawa is one of the best filmmakers to study IMO, if you want to direct.  He does so many interesting things with the actors, the camera, and editing!  I have a man crush on this guy.
  If you haven't already, I recommend seeing Stray Dogs as well.  The movie has the same suspense feel as High and Low, but was done earlier in Kurosawa's career.  Criterion also has quite a few of his good movies on Blu-Ray including Seven Samurai, which I am currently watching, and Hidden Fortress.  I highly recommend you guys at least rent some of his flicks on itunes or whatever service you use.  Good stuff.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

Criterion is the only real reason to have a hulu plus account. Almost all of them are on there.

Cue a glare of bitterness from everybody living outside Region A.

My only legal option is about $15 for a standard def DVD.  Here's what dvdbeaver says about it: 

dvdbeaver.com wrote:

Well, this is another fine mess - not 'progressively encoded'  and converted directly from an NTSC source (see times). Non-removable English subtitles. But this is only the start - halos, ghosting and combing are rife throughout the presentation. Thick black borders are around the image not fully utilizing the horizontal resolution....Only thing we can say about it is it won't look that bad on a regular tube TV.

Fortunately my *ahem* local public library, shall we say, had a copy.

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I shall rent it from amazon tonight

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

While we're at it with the new boards, let's see how this project shapes up in a forum-build instead of thread-build capacity.  As with the FIYD thing, I retain the right to do whatever admin shit I want to whenever I want to and nothing short of a coup d'etat can stop me. Muahahahahaha, fiefdom, etc..

BDA and Lamer have mod powers, lemme know if anything needs tweakin.'

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down