Topic: Mad Max: Fury Road (obligatory spoiler warning)

Saw it a few hours ago.

Might actually be the most satisfying action movie I've ever seen. I almost lost control of my emotions about halfway through the movie, from a constant rush of endorphins as my feeble brain could not believe the constant stream of pulsing, driving action that just keeps going in wave after wave of awe-inspiringly filmed and executed action scenes.

I don't think I can adequately describe how much I love this film, in pretty much every aspect, from editing, camera work, stunt work, acting, pacing, pure insanity, sound mixing and sound design.

I was as filled with joy after seeing it as I was after watching "Her", and similar to that film, I just kept waiting for the film to make that first wrong move, and ruin a perfect streak. But to my eyes it just didn't, and I'm both as emotionally satisfied as I am filled with clear-headed appreciation for what they managed to do with this beautiful, insane, operatic action colossus.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Mad Max: Fury Road (obligatory spoiler warning)

So it didn't threaten your masculinity?

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, if one assumes that the purest display of raw masculinity involves being stripped of all emotional defenses by a 70-year old Australian man, ultimately being reduced to a happy, sobbing 3 year old in the cinema seat... No, not at all. smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gonna see it tomorrow. Did you watch it 3D or regular, and if 3D, was it worth it?

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

George Miller strongly discouraged seeing it in 3D, for the record.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, he would know. Thanks for the heads-up!

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

I read on a  reddit thread that they had 2 years go work on the 3d version, and it might be the same company that halped with titanic etc (someone might be able to dig through company credits).

I saw it in 2D though. And seeing it again tonight, I decided on 2D again. FWIW. smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well. That was fun.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I feel like this demands multiple viewings just to absorb the degree of action involved here. The final third might be the densest, most relentless, jaw-dropping piece of action I've ever seen.

That's the crazy thing with this movie, it's not good because it's a "throwback", no it slingshots past its contemporaries and feels like some insane action movie from the distant future that's time-traveled back to the present to blow peoples minds. I feel like someone in the 1920s watching Terminator 2.

The geography manages to be mostly coherent, but without some single-take gimmick a la Gravity or something, no the editing is relentless and in your face.

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

I feel like someone in the 1920s watching Terminator 2.

I have an erection.

It was indeed a good film.

Now I wanna go try it in 3D (i know it's 30% less bright or whatever, but still).

Saw it last night. It lived up to every expectation I had thrown at it. And damn that feels good.

There was exactly 1 shot in the entire thing I didn't love, and that was the BLATANT pandering to the 3D audience thing with the guitar and wheel flying directly into the camera after the tanker explosion.

We saw it in 3D because that's the only way they play these movies for the first week or so out here. As usual with 3D after 5 minutes I totally forgot it was there unless they were doing something stupid. (As usual, I remain meh on the whole 3D thing, it hardly ever made me feel more in the moment, and it's a harsh trade-off for not being able to look around and absorb the image in it's entirety.)

I will absolutely be going back and watching this in 2D because I know this movie is SERIOUSLY gorgeous and I really want to be able to look at everything in frame.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Agree about the steering wheel shot, though I imagine in 3d that would play better. It's sort of irrelevant though as the tanker crash is a real stunt (!!!!!??), and the perfect climax to one of the all time greatest sustained action sequences

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've seen it twice, once in 2D and once in 3D. While the 3D itself is fine, the brightness loss is abysmal and ruins the look of the movie as far as I'm concerned - especially the night time sequence.

Fucking insane!

Exhilarating, grotesque, heart-pounding! Like an extended heavy metal road chase. The production design, stunts, costumes, make-up, stunts, special effects, and cinematography all felt like a breath of fresh air after all that Marvel crap.

For example, that sand-storm approach looked terrific, like a John Martin painting.

How the hell did they film it?! It just looks so over the top. Sorry Star Wars nerds, but Episode VII is gonna look like a lame cartoon by comparison.

My only gripe is that a couple of the third act action sequences were cut a little too fast - it was hard to take it all in. Perhaps they were cut for a lower rating (and will be restored in an UNRATED blu-ray release. As you guys have commented above, it definitely needs multiple viewings.

Highly recommended! 9.5/10 Best movie of the year so far, by far, and I would be most surprised if Terminator, Tomorrowland, Jurassic World, or Ep7 could come near it.

It got a round of applause in the cinema at the end, and that's pretty rare for a British audience.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It was rated R, so no cuts for a lower rating. In fact, George Miller got his wife (an editor who had never cut an action film before) to edit the film because he didn't want it to look like just any other action film.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

It was rated R, so no cuts for a lower rating. In fact, George Miller got his wife (an editor who had never cut an action film before) to edit the film because he didn't want it to look like just any other action film.

Really? That's awesome.

I find that aspect of this film mildly humorous and ironic. Here we have a 70 year old director who, while quite versatile, previously made Babe and Happy Feet. The editor has never cut an action film before. The cinematographer has some action-y films, but also Talented Mr. Ripley and Dead Poets Society.

And together they make something that must give 99% of their peers, some who have spent their careers in the genre, a serious inferiority complex.

Skill and talent transcends most genre barriers I suppose.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

I suspect a big part of this, outside of Miller being an action veteran who's a genius at his craft, is the amount of planning that went into it. Instead of a script, Miller storyboarded the entire movie, and that was over 10 years ago.

He's been living this story so long I suspect, he knows every single inch of every edit by heart. This is backed up by the fact his original intent was to film the entire movie, including all the stunt sequences, with just a single camera, which is bonkers crazy when you're talking about stunts that cost millions of dollars. No multi-cam stuff, he knew exactly what angle he wanted for every single shot, and it shows. Now, in practice, that didn't quite end up happening (his cinematographer wouldn't stand for it and snuck additional angles in there for safety), but it gives you an idea of how much thought went into this.

This does truly ruin all other action movies. Like, I'd rather re-watch Fury Road every weekend for the next 2 months instead of seeing whatever new movie comes out, because nothing else is going to measure up.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

I suspect a big part of this, outside of Miller being an action veteran who's a genius at his craft, is the amount of planning that went into it. Instead of a script, Miller storyboarded the entire movie, and that was over 10 years ago.

He's been living this story so long I suspect, he knows every single inch of every edit by heart.

This is often a bad thing, naturally. A creator so in love with his creation he can no longer see the flaws. I usually get worried when I hear something has been a passion project for a decade. Luckily it worked this time. Usually we get something like the Barry Levinson movie TOYS, staring Robin Williams.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Whatever reason it worked, I'm glad it worked. Sometimes you get lightning in a bottle. Its rarity just makes me appreciate it more, rather than forcing false expectations on a director.

I officially declare Fury Road to be on the same level as Die Hard. A very well-crafted piece of entertainment that unexpectedly subverts established themes whilst still also being fun. You did good, kid.

Actually Babe 2: Pig in the City (Miller never directed the first one, Babe) is very under-rated. The middle act gets very dark for a kid's film (even for an adult film) and caused quite a controversy when it came out for a disturbing dog-hanging scene that was deemed too not suitable for children. The chase around the canal sequence is a work of genius.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Babe Pig in the City made me cry as a child.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It made my best friend cry as an adult man. To this day, if someone knowingly teases him with the line "that'll do pig, that'll do", you can guarantee his response will be something along the lines of "Oi! Don't start with that. Fuck off!".

edit: oops. this is, like, the 3rd time this week I thought that Pig in The City was the subtitle of the original Babe movie.

Last edited by Herc (2015-05-19 06:24:59)

Doctor Submarine wrote:

How the hell did a second or third tier director get $150M to make an R rated film? That's unheard of these days. Normally R-rated genre movies like Dredd are never given more than $50M, usually a lot less.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This  is why.

Bloggy:  Inf0verload

Thumbs up Thumbs down