Topic: Fight Club

Hey guys, Teague here. Fight Club is another one of those movies we refer to as “perfect,” due to its commitment to delivering on every promise it makes to the audience. We’re young, we can think movies like Fight Club are important, and with no Trey this week to smoke on our boundless enthusiasm for nihilism, boundlessly we will enthuse.

One of my favorite movies, and one of my favorite releases thus far. Enjoy.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Fight Club

Alright, I need something confirmed by those much smarter than I.

One of my teachers at school started randomly talking about Fight Club and brought up the fact that the sex scene was done completely digitally...to which I replied with a wonderfully blank stare.

I could see why they would do it digitally, but I have no clue if it's true.

Any one have any ideas?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

maul2 wrote:

One of my teachers at school started randomly talking about Fight Club and brought up the fact that the sex scene was done completely digitally...to which I replied with a wonderfully blank stare.

Any one have any ideas?

You know, I saw again the other night, and looking back on it, that sounds totally plausible.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It was done with stand-ins and a lot of CG.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

HMM alright. Cause his entire point of the whole thing was related to the fact that they built everything with NURBS and so the reflections of everything was physical correct and shit. Which...alright. I know they were sweaty but really?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

The sex scene was done with projection mapping on geometry. I don't know about the reflections being accurate as part of the point, and anyway using NURBS surfaces wouldn't have much in particular to do with that.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fincher's known for having shot a shit-tonne of film on that movie, so maul your teacher is most likely... wrong, it was wasn't completely digital. But yeah After Effects (for example) was already up to v4 in '99 so digital motion tools were available, and there was a lot of other cgi being done for it already.

Plus playing with the visuals in that scene was a way to blend the stunt boobies actress into Helena's footage.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

maul2 wrote:

Any one have any ideas?

Fincher loved him some projection mapping in that movie. It's not "completely digital" but it's manufactured from hundreds of still photos mapped on to geometry through photogrammetry and stuff. Each set up is essentially a 3D model they swing a camera around.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the- … 154343840#
EDIT: link borked. Show 52, line 56.

The episodes done relatively recently as a look back to the film. They talk about all kinds of aspects of the movie, and I'm pretty sure the sex scene is mentioned.

DOUBLE EDIT: Guess I was replying to an earlier instance of the thread before everyone said the same thing I did. D'oh.

Last edited by paulou (2010-09-04 02:36:34)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ha. Me too. That's what happens when i take an hour to post something while watching football. People who actually know what they're talking about come in and say it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l7ylp0qZ121qzmy30o1_500.gif

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Punching someone in the jaw knocks them out because it pinches the vagus nerve that sits laterally behind the jaw line. The vagus nerve delivers sensory information from various organs to the brain including the heart.

At least that is my understanding.

Where Geek Meets Goth

...interesting. Wiki on the vagus nerve.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

insideoutcast wrote:

Punching someone in the jaw knocks them out because it pinches the vagus nerve that sits laterally behind the jaw line. The vagus nerve delivers sensory information from various organs to the brain including the heart.

At least that is my understanding.

That certainly is the most common way.  I've seen guys get knocked out from just a glancing blow to that area.  THis is what in the fight world we call getting hit, "On the button."

With that said, getting hit behind the ear can knock someone out, or in my case during the 1996 Team USA Shidokan tournament, getting a knee just north of the temple was enough to put me away.  There's no set way to do it, but the Vagus nerve is certainly the most common.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's crazy. I'm Brian Fellows. But seriously it's crazy.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Not sure whether I buy this or not; Cracked's photoplasties are usually dubious factually, and as far as I can tell it only happens once, not every time. It'd be cool if it were true, though.

http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/photoshop/3/6/8/212368.jpg?v=1

Last edited by Abbie (2013-10-28 20:23:58)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Directors Series video essay continues... https://vimeo.com/channels/directorsseries/128163934

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down