Re: Hey, Whatcha playin'?

I have Star Wars Racer on my OC and still play now and again. I'd love to get a cabinet from the arcade version and somehow patch the full game into there.

/nowthisispodracing

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I remember playing the Arcade version back in '00. It was amazing.

In other news;
Picked up a copy(if you use that term for a digital download) of GTAV. Again. I own it on PS3, and had plans to play it online, that were foiled when the game was, like all other games, not ready for online play. The servers had issues for weeks getting it even up and running at a semi-enjoyable rate, and even then, it was full of bugs and constant lag.

A friend of mine has been playing it ever since, and even got a PS4 with the game right when the PS4 version came out. Naturally, he's been nagging me to play it ever since.

With news of Heists finally coming to online(A really cool Co-Op mode that was supposed to be available on the PS3 launch) yesterday, I figured I'd give it another go.

And now I'm hooked. Not only are the graphics improved, the online mode in general is pretty rad. You can play on your own online if you like, and still partake in missions with friends or foes, and just do your thing. I guess the only annoyance I have with it right now, is players that just set out to find you and kill you. Just for the hell of it. And then repeatedly do so until you challenge them to a 1-on-1 deathmatch, decline that and exit.

If anybody here are PS4 players, let me know, and add my PSN ID: tomellingsen. I'm usually playing online these days, up until yesterday primarily Last Of Us Remastered, but I've got a feeling I'll be playing a lot more GTAO now.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tomahawk wrote:

Herc, you asshole. You don't open a post with "LAST WEEK, steam had a sale". You advertise the sale that's going on now, fool!

BioShock trilogy is on Steam for $11.30 right now, y'all!

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Technically all of 2K's games on on sale atm.

Just saying.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Ah, you're right! That's right, folks: up to 85% off of their games, or $53 for a 21-game bundle. Incredible.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

BioShock: as good as I remember.
BioShock2: even better, and I really enjoyed the final act.

BioShock Infinite: OH MY GOD. This game goes so far and beyond any kind of beautiful I've ever expected from games. GodDAMN. Like, super-wow.

I do agree with those, however, who think the combat diminishes BioShock Infinite. You can't really reconcile what the story is trying to be and what you're actually doing. It tries to hang a lantern on it with your female companion getting pissed at you, but the next minute she's happily tossing you ammo.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Heh, the BioShock games are the entire reason that the term ludonarrative dissonance was coined!

edit: also, I wasn't gonna get Alien: Isolation 'cause I didn't think my laptop could run it, but for 20 bucks I figured it was worth a shot. and hoorah, it works! as a big big fan of the first two films, the production/level design is utterly astounding. played for about an hour so far, haven't encountered the xenomorph yet (but i can hear it scurrying around) but fuckdamnit it's still goddamn scary. if y'all don't hear from me after this post, i have had a heart attack, so please consider opening a Herc Memorial Library in my honour.

Last edited by Herc (2015-04-04 03:25:22)

I tried BioShock last year. The gameplay mechanics and controls just threw me right off. Couldn't stand it. and I WANTED to like this game.

Bleh.

I hear great things, though, about Infinite as well!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Holy shit y'all... Alien Isolation. I am making so little progress every session and I LOVE it. The game just turns me into a paranoid, frantic, panicky mess. If you are a patient gamer, this is amazing.

I just had a moment where I hid in a locker so I could compose myself. I check the motion tracker, but a man and woman patrolling 10 feet away on the other side of a wall hear the beeps (my bad). They walk into my section of the corridor and start looking for me. The woman looks into the locker I'm in, so I lean back and hold my breath (in-game). The man is killed out-of-sight by the xenomorph attracted to the noise. I'm startled so I stop holding my breath, and the woman hears me. She starts shooting me through the locker, then opens the door and shoots me again. I die, but the last thing I see is the xenomorph darting across my screen and knocking her out of frame.

It's a testament to the game mechanics and careful thought that went into it, that that was ungoddamnscripted. Amazing!

edit: motion tracker beeping: a cautionary tale
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--6v8g4LRh--/934754924573000996.gif

Last edited by Herc (2015-04-11 19:22:08)

So... Witcher 3. Great game. I have sworn a few times due to the controls (though I think it's more my sorta broken xbox controller that's the cause of many of these snafus) but otherwise it's a great game. Immersive and beautiful, with a good world setting. I had played Witcher 2 and enjoyed that too - this one takes all those same gameplay mechanics and improves upon them all.

It also frequently makes you choose and sometimes those choices are easy (as in, I'm a nice guy so I'll let x happen) and at others they're quite hard. I just recently had to make a choice about whether to believe a character and later I realised that I probably made the wrong choice, and it's really annoying me!

I love any game which makes you feel like this.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I've been meaning to pick that up.
I never played the first one, and the second one I played for about 30 minutes until realising it wasn't my kind of game.

Funny thing though, same happened with Dragon Age. Played the first one, wanted to like it; didn't. Never got around to the second one, so naturally didn't bother with the third one until the reviews started happening. Played it, loved it a lot, and now I'm guessing it's the same thing with Witcher 3. Reviews give it 9-10/10 across the board. I may be wrong about it.

In other news, I got myself a Playstation Vita. (I know, right)
I got it primarily to play old school Final Fantasy games again, and I'm currently plowing throught the one I never got around to finish, namely VIII. I gotta say, I am loving it. I've also got VII, IV, V and X/X-2 HD Remaster loaded onto it, as I still can't find a legitimate reason to own a Vita. There's 3 games, off the top of my head that I'd consider getting, which are Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Tearaway, and Gravity Rush. The first because I like the Uncharted series, the second one because Media Molecule seems to be great at using functionality of a console and bake it into a game, and the latter because the cover looks cool as hell. I have no idea what it's about or if it's a good game.

Apart from that, there's no real reason to get a Vita. It's got a touch screen, a touch panel at the back(which, incidentally, acts like R2 and L2 buttons in PS1/2 games, two cameras, a proprietary charger(at least the first generation) and a proprietary memory card, which is now hard to find, and really expensive.

Other than those things, it is great playing old games again, and the ability to do it in bed, on a bus, a plane, and even a hotel room is pretty neat.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/gravityrush/images/9/9a/Gravity_rush_boxart.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120210030830

Last edited by Tomahawk (2015-05-24 22:54:10)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Pretty much everyone I know is going mad over the Witcher and I don't even know what it's about, but it looks pretty dang cool.

In regards to mobile stuff, I think the 3DS is probably the best portable gaming device you can get right now. For one, the compatibility with a bunch of older stuff, and it's actually got some really good titles on it. Then again, I've almost always been into Nintendo stuff (after I stopped being a SEGA fanboy), so yeah.

As for what I've been playing. Well, not really 'lately' as I always play that game nonstop like every other day, but I've been playing Age of Empires II. The fact that it's on Steam means you can get the expansion with a bunch of fixes and changes and even more civs (yes, with new pixel art as well), which is very nice. I'm pretty big into indie games, as well, but the best ones haven't gotten any recent updates. Aside from Project Zomboid, which is getting a new one in a few days.

The most recent release I've played was Ori and the Blind Forest, and I'm pretty sure it's one of the best games ever made. It's definitely the most fun platformer I've ever played, and all of the nifty mechanics it incorporates so that it's much more dynamic than a standart 2D sidescroller definitely pay off, and are definitely super fun. Great visuals, great sound and music, story is simple but nice. Gameplay is fantastic.

Oh, and before Ori, I played through Dying Light. Anyone played that? Gameplay was super interesting, and the main plot was good, even if at points the game was pretty bland. I just liked the fact that they added a different flavor to the whole Zombie thing.

That being said, League of Legends is also a thing, and it's got the whole competitive aspect of it, which is rather nice. eSports, yo.

Last edited by ockpii (2015-05-26 04:22:54)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've still to play Ori and the Blind forest, and saying it's one of the best games ever, and the most fun platformer certainly sets the bar high.

My current favorite platformer, and best game in 2013, is by far this:

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If we're talking about games as an artform, then Ori is definitely one of the greats. That being said, it is also one of the greats in just about everything else.

Also, if you guys are into cool neo-war but also weird and creepy but fantasy-ish stuff, you should definitely play Metro: Last Light. There's a new version that's prettier and with some new stuff on Steam, and it includes the original game, too, Metro 2033!

Last edited by ockpii (2015-05-26 15:45:41)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3e/2717093-spratoonbox.jpg

This. Game.

I got this in the post today after forgetting I actually pre-ordered it a good while back, so I've been playing it for the past few hours and damn is this game a blast. It's one of the most fun games I've played in a very long time with a quite quirky concept (you're a team of shapeshifting squid kids shooting at other shapeshifting squid kids to cover an area with ink) and a downright awesome soundtrack.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Oooh, yeah, that game. I can't wait till I get my hands on it, that's definitely on my must play games list. I've generally been really excited at the stuff Nintendo's been putting on their consoles, lately. When I saw the first trailer I thought it would have something to do with Super Mario Sunshine cause it was so similar in some ways.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So... Witcher 3 (again). Still playing this one, and today I experienced something entirely new for playing a game. Dread. A real, stomach-churning fear of what was to happen. Basically, I had a quest to return to a place where I knew there were some pretty awful and powerful people. I really didn't want to go there, and I didn't know what to expect (and my imagination was going wild), but I also knew I had to go back, because these people are utter monsters and I had unfinished business.

It turned out ok in the end, but for a brief time I was extremely uncomfortable playing a game. And that was wonderful.

Further, the cinematic presentation of this game is excellent and really effective at helping the story-telling. As is the design. It's a game where you fight monsters all the time but I couldn't help but think 'oh shit, I do not want to fight this guy' when I was going up against a knight in black armour wielding this particularly cruel axe.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://www.gamerobs.com/fichiers/2012/6/19/1340124070.jpg

Crude humor, sometimes too much foul language, and decent fighting mechanics. Also seems like it'll be a bit too short as well, according to the map I'm nearly halfway through it after just a couple nights.

Also Tara Strong uses the same voice for Juliet Starling as she does for Twilight Sparkle and this tickles me greatly.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyyyy gosh!

Was not expecting this at all today. I have pretty much spaffed my pants.
(Also, I can't believe this game is being made a few blocks from my office! I can feel its power!)

Sorry you have a hard time having fun.

I couldn't care less if the ME Andromeda thing was a cutscene or not, for me it announced what direction they were going in for it and it was a teaser. That's enough for me.

The only presser I've watched all the way through was EA's, but I heard Microsoft and Sony did really well with theirs. I've heard great news coming out, with hardware and some great game announcements. (EA's for me was mostly meh, seeing some Catalyst stuff was nice but gameplay was nothing new over the last game, just prettier. Also that Battlefront gameplay, mmmm.) So far it seems to be shaping up to be a good year.

Battlefront, man. Freaking Battlefront!

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Boter wrote:

I couldn't care less if the ME Andromeda thing was a cutscene or not, for me it announced what direction they were going in for it and it was a teaser. That's enough for me.

Exactly. My throbbing erection has nothing to do with the quality of graphics, and all to do with the fact that the people who made a trilogy I love, have given me a taste of the scope of another game in that same universe. And I could not be more excited.

edit: we're talking priapism-level excited.

Last edited by Herc (2015-06-16 15:09:33)

That's always my thing for video game trailers. Like you think movie trailers have trouble conveying the actual experience of the movie? HAH.

Everything I've seen so far looks pretty awesome, so I'm pretty pumped. Even if it'll probably be another 5 years before I actually get around to playing any of them.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I couldn't be happier about this.

Thumbs up Thumbs down